pfSense Dynamic DNS

Mikensan

I always thought the dynamic dns service would update your dns records if it detects a change.. but from what I can tell it's running a cron job at 1:01pm every day instead. For whatever reason my ISP has changed my IP 3-4 times a day for the past couple days - driving me crazy.

Dirty fix was to just modify the cron job, but just seems weird to me, thought the daemon monitored it.

1 hour ago, Mikensan said:

I always thought the dynamic dns service would update your dns records if it detects a change.. but from what I can tell it's running a cron job at 1:01pm every day instead. For whatever reason my ISP has changed my IP 3-4 times a day for the past couple days - driving me crazy.

Dirty fix was to just modify the cron job, but just seems weird to me, thought the daemon monitored it.

Are the connections PPPoE, I noticed my PPPoE connection doesn't update when the IP changes but the Ethernet connection does within around 15 mins.

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply

On 8/17/2018 at 5:34 PM, Falconevo said:

Are the connections PPPoE, I noticed my PPPoE connection doesn't update when the IP changes but the Ethernet connection does within around 15 mins.

Good old cable internet, strange behavior I guess.

Yeah I've only ever seen ddns agents/clients poll at a specified time window.  You might be able to script out something but without internal event type of notifications I think it'd still be bound to time based polling.

That sounds kind of weird unless they're having problems and jacking with it on the DHCP side. What kind of lease times are they giving you?

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

1 minute ago, beersykins said:

Yeah I've only ever seen ddns agents/clients poll at a specified time window.  You might be able to script out something but without internal event type of notifications I think it'd still be bound to time based polling.

That sounds kind of weird unless they're having problems and jacking with it on the DHCP side. What kind of lease times are they giving you?

Well I've kept my IP for months at a time, so even when it has expired it was picked back up. Not sure what the lease time is but will have a look see next time I'm home.

Possible they're doing maintenance back at the ISP, idk. 

Yeah at the moment I've just modified the cron job which is good enough. I have it set to an hour, I can live that long lol. Just found it odd given the manual states on update vs daily.