7700HQ throttles to 800MHz but wont climb up when temps decrease

Go to solution Solved by unclewebb,
4 hours ago, JimVekemans said:

why does it stay throttled after dropping in temperature?

Poor design.  Dell and many other manufacturers have been producing laptops with severe throttling problems for the last decade.  People put up with poor performance until the following year when the next latest and greatest model comes out.  Review sites are guilty because they avoid talking about throttling.  They do not want their main source of ad revenue to disappear.  

Is severe throttling like you are experiencing necessary?  Of course not.  

Using ThrottleStop, there are a couple of settings that might be able to help you out.  Open up the TPL window and enable Speed Shift.  Go back out to the main screen.  SST should be lit up in green.  Set the Speed Shift EPP value to 0 for maximum performance.  Yes, it can be adjusted on the main ThrottleStop screen.

Next, disable BD PROCHOT.  This is a signal line to your CPU.  It is often times used to throttle CPUs down to their minimum speed, 800 MHz.  When this happens, it might get stuck at this speed indefinitely.  Turning off BD PROCHOT blocks these throttling signals from getting to the CPU.  There is no need for this throttling.

Along with some under volting, the above is usually all you have to do.  If you are still having problems, you might want to look into disabling, removing and blocking Windows 10 from installing the Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework (DPTF) driver.  Use Google to find out more about this topic.  It is another horrible piece of cancer software designed to kill the performance of modern laptops.  There is no need for this driver to be installed on any computer.

(Dell XPS 15 9560) Specs:

- Windows 10 Education 64-bit

- I7 7700HQ

- 32 Gb RAM

- GTX 1050 4Gb

- 1Tb NVMe SSD

I have tried in this order:

- Enabling High-Performance energy mode

- Setting minimum CPU usage to 100% (avoiding turboboost)

- Download Throttlestop and tried to lock down frequency

- Disabling speed step in BIOS

None of these steps seemed to make a difference. My temperatures climb up to 75C where they hover for a minute, then frequency drops from 3400-2600 down to a steady 800MHz. Even after closing the game, the CPU will stay at 800MHz for about 5 minutes. MSI afterburner tells me the temperatures haven't reached higher than 64C since throttling. For what reason does my CPU throttle so badly and why does it stay throttled after dropping in temperature? I've been scratching my head at this, any help would be greatly appreciated!

20180817_210010.jpg

I would recommend changing the thermal paste to something like Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut. It should drop a couple of degrees and will possibly solve your issues.

run an aida64 stress test to see whether it is throttling and at what temp it is.

then see if you can find the setting for the tj max and raise it a bit

SPECS:

AMD Ryzen 1800x @4Ghz

32GB DDR4 G.Skill Trident-Z RGB 3200Mhz

ASUS ROG STRIX B350-F Gaming motherboard

RX 5700 XT

750W Corsair PSU

Fractal Design Meshify C

250gb WD Black NVMe SSD

Peripherals:

Asus VG24V 144hz 1080p

Logitech MX Master

Corsair K70 Mk2

Stream Deck

GoXLR Mini

Logitech Z330, Corsair Virtuoso

1 minute ago, Konrad_K said:

I would recommend changing the thermal paste to something like Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut. It should drop a couple of degrees and will possibly solve your issues.

Well the thermal paste has been changed when I bought the laptop. Currently has Arctic Silver 5 and that dropped it 10C on it's own.

Okay now AIDA64 shows a drop in frequency (not to 800MHz yet), while the cpu isn't even throttling. 

Seems to have dropped in temperature as well. And get this, I ran cinebench while doing the AIDA64 stresstest and no throttling but still low frequencies and low temperatures (56C while running simultaneous benchmarks/stresstests). My laptop-fan doesnt even run on max RPM to cool anymore...

Aida1.PNG

Aida2.PNG

Aida3.PNG

55 minutes ago, JimVekemans said:

- GTX 1050 4Gb

are people afraid of saying 1050 TI? they're different GPUs, with different cuda core counts.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

are people afraid of saying 1050 TI? they're different GPUs, with different cuda core counts.

It's not a Ti though

1 minute ago, JimVekemans said:

It's not a Ti though

there's no such thing as a 1050 4gb. Even on the website it says TI.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

5 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Look

1050.PNG

look

Primary PC:

2 minutes ago, JimVekemans said:

Look

1050.PNG

maybe you ought to sue them for false advertising, just based on their site.

Primary PC:

Just now, fasauceome said:

look

image.png

Thats for the XPS 9570 which does have a 1050 Ti... This is not a thread to discuss which GPU I have

1 minute ago, JimVekemans said:

Thats for the XPS 9570 which does have a 1050 Ti... This is not a thread to discuss which GPU I have

well thanks Dell for linking me to the wrong webpage. Must be a laptop only card then.

Regardless, are you able to manually change the voltage in BIOS? if you reduce it slightly, you might force performance to stay consistent, and then you can alter it from there.

Primary PC:

I have tried to do that in the BIOS which wasn't a possibility, it was possible using Intel Extreme Tuning Utility and ThrottleStop but neither helped. (The undervolt was succesful though).

7 minutes ago, JimVekemans said:

I have tried to do that in the BIOS which wasn't a possibility, it was possible using Intel Extreme Tuning Utility and ThrottleStop but neither helped. (The undervolt was succesful though).

if you successfully undervolted, try another stress test. Gaming is probably the most valuable, because it will eventually throttle in aida anyway

Primary PC:

AIDA64 seems to create a waving pattern where temps and frequency fluxuate

Aida4.PNG

2 minutes ago, JimVekemans said:

AIDA64 seems to create a waving pattern where temps and frequency fluxuate

Aida4.PNG

that's unusual, but compared to your earlier post. it looks like the temps are better handled. If gaming performance is more consistent, I recommend tuning the undervolt as much as possible, as it's likely only a small one is needed.

Primary PC:

4 hours ago, JimVekemans said:

why does it stay throttled after dropping in temperature?

Poor design.  Dell and many other manufacturers have been producing laptops with severe throttling problems for the last decade.  People put up with poor performance until the following year when the next latest and greatest model comes out.  Review sites are guilty because they avoid talking about throttling.  They do not want their main source of ad revenue to disappear.  

Is severe throttling like you are experiencing necessary?  Of course not.  

Using ThrottleStop, there are a couple of settings that might be able to help you out.  Open up the TPL window and enable Speed Shift.  Go back out to the main screen.  SST should be lit up in green.  Set the Speed Shift EPP value to 0 for maximum performance.  Yes, it can be adjusted on the main ThrottleStop screen.

Next, disable BD PROCHOT.  This is a signal line to your CPU.  It is often times used to throttle CPUs down to their minimum speed, 800 MHz.  When this happens, it might get stuck at this speed indefinitely.  Turning off BD PROCHOT blocks these throttling signals from getting to the CPU.  There is no need for this throttling.

Along with some under volting, the above is usually all you have to do.  If you are still having problems, you might want to look into disabling, removing and blocking Windows 10 from installing the Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework (DPTF) driver.  Use Google to find out more about this topic.  It is another horrible piece of cancer software designed to kill the performance of modern laptops.  There is no need for this driver to be installed on any computer.

12 hours ago, fasauceome said:

There is 1050 4GB in laptops

13 hours ago, JimVekemans said:

800MHz.

Could be VRM throttling (very common in XPS 15)

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

XPS 15 once it throttled, it will stay throttle until restart. To avoid this, you need to uninstall Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework from the driver manager and prevent it to be reinstall via windows update 

9 hours ago, ZM Fong said:

There is 1050 4GB in laptops

Could be VRM throttling (very common in XPS 15)

AIDA64 made VRM's only reach 54C after an hour of benchmarking.

22 hours ago, fasauceome said:

LTT did have a review of a 1060 5GB that supposedly does not exist but actually does. And it was theorized it was for a specific market only.

CPU: Sempron 2500+ / P4 2.8E / P4 2.6C / A64 x2 4000+ / E6420 / E8500 / i5-3470 / i7-3770
GPU: TNT2 M64 / Radeon 9000 / MX 440-SE / 7300GT / Radeon 4670 / GTS 250 / Radeon 7950 / 660 Ti

1 hour ago, grss1982 said:

LTT did have a review of a 1060 5GB that supposedly does not exist but actually does. And it was theorized it was for a specific market only.

Yeah you can get those. AliExpress has a bunch. However, I was selling a 1050 on LetGo and people were asking if it was a 4GB card. Not possible for the desktop version

Primary PC: