G2 vs G3?

Zeorth

So im confused as to what the difference is  between the g2 and g3 power supplies besides the size. Why is the g3 like 20 bucks cheaper?

its two generations of PSUs from EVGA. G2 used to be their best mid-high offering and now that series has changed into the G3 line which has diffrent internals and is slightly better i think. either way both are great, i run a Supernova G2 650W and have been with it through 3 years or so and i have spilled coolant on it several times and its still perfect :) 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

3 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

its two generations of PSUs from EVGA. G2 used to be their best mid-high offering and now that series has changed into the G3 line which has diffrent internals and is slightly better i think. either way both are great, i run a Supernova G2 650W and have been with it through 3 years or so and i have spilled coolant on it several times and its still perfect :) 

If G3 is better then why is it cheaper and in tier 2 on the psu tier list compared to g2 which is more expensive and tier 1

13 minutes ago, OreoPandas said:

If G3 is better then why is it cheaper and in tier 2 on the psu tier list compared to g2 which is more expensive and tier 1

1. Tier 2 is still really good and close enough to tier 1.

2. They cheaped out and some parts of the PSU to make it cheaper to the end user.

Please quote me or @ me in your response so I get a notification.                                                                       I really really really really like small text.

Occupation: Gamer | Hours: 24/7 Full-Time | Hourly Pay: 0 | Benefits: Chick Magnet

FINISHED BUILD - VIEW PROFILE

If you say I'm not always right, but I am, I will say I am right. 

rekt

18 minutes ago, OreoPandas said:

Exactly!

It seems G2 is better even though G3 was released later.

26 minutes ago, MrShinny said:

1. Tier 2 is still really good and close enough to tier 1.

2. They cheaped out and some parts of the PSU to make it cheaper to the end user.

So I should go with g3?

1 minute ago, OreoPandas said:

So I should go with g3?

That would be best yeah, but what is your budget for the PSU?

Please quote me or @ me in your response so I get a notification.                                                                       I really really really really like small text.

Occupation: Gamer | Hours: 24/7 Full-Time | Hourly Pay: 0 | Benefits: Chick Magnet

rekt

The G3 is louder and is known to have issues with its protections. It does however perform better, it's among the best performing PSUs on the market.

It's very rare that either is good value, due to their noise, which you will most definitely notice. 

:)

1 hour ago, OreoPandas said:

G2 isnt made anymore im pretty sure. stuff that isnt made anymore tends to go up in price after a bit

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 hours ago, MrShinny said:

That would be best yeah, but what is your budget for the PSU?

Just have a budget for the whole PC not for the psu :P

1 hour ago, seon123 said:

The G3 is louder and is known to have issues with its protections. It does however perform better, it's among the best performing PSUs on the market.

It's very rare that either is good value, due to their noise, which you will most definitely notice. 

So which should I get? Will the issues with protection ruin the pc?

1 minute ago, OreoPandas said:

Depending on what you're powering and what the budget and availability is, I'll recommend the Straight Power 11 (not the 650W), Whisper M, RMx 2018, RMx or Formula. 

I have the G2, it's damn near silent.  I certainly can't hear it.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

8 minutes ago, OreoPandas said:

Just get the G2, or this range of other options: RMx, Straight Power 11, Whisper M, Formula Gold, G1+, GQ, TXM and Focus Gold/Focus Plus Gold.

G3 is extra loud and has protections issues. 

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

1 hour ago, JoostinOnline said:

I have the G2, it's damn near silent.  I certainly can't hear it.

Looked up the G2 on Techpowerup, it actually seems to not be terrible. Much better than the G3. 

2 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Looked up the G2 on Techpowerup, it actually seems to not be terrible. Much better than the G3. 

It costs more though I'm pretty sure.

rekt

Mwell, some G2 models break the ATX specification on hold-up time and PWR_OK.

Just now, Sakkura said:

Mwell, some G2 models break the ATX specification on hold-up time and PWR_OK.

Just looked at it in terms of noise. 

2 hours ago, MrShinny said:

It costs more though I'm pretty sure.

Only due to sales on the G3

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

12 hours ago, seon123 said:

People always say this but I swear you cannot hear the fan in the G2 over the sound of literally any other component in a PC, especially given the size of the fan in the G2.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||