New Specifications of USB 3.0 Increase Speed to 10Gb/s.

Jozi

USB 3.0 Gains 10Gb/s Speed, Can Compete Against Thunderbolt

corsair_usb_voyager_gt.png&width=250&height=149&cache=1&quality=88&aspect=0&format=jpg

At the Intel Developers Forum (IDF), the USB implementers forum (USB-IF) announced new USB specifications that boost peak bandwidth by two times to 10Gb/s, making future USB 3.0 devices competitive with those that utilize Thunderbolt technology..

Recent SuperSpeed USB updates include a new specification development effort underway to double the data through-put performance of existing SuperSpeed USB to 10Gb/s and the now publicly available USB power delivery specification. The speed enhancement to SuperSpeed USB will use new cables that are fully backward compatible with existing USB connectors and cables. The new single-cable for data and power delivery up to 100W initiative is also gaining popularity among device makers.

“With the new SuperSpeed USB enhancement to increase performance up to 10Gb/s data rate, coupled with the USB power delivery specification capable of delivering up to 100 watts of power to USB-enabled devices, consumers will soon be able to have one USB cable to support all their needs,†said Jeff Ravencraft, USB-IF president and chief operating officer.

While formally the new USB 3.0 spec will bring the throughput of the interconnection to 10Gb/s, making the technology comparable to Thunderbolt, the latter will continue to have a number of trumps up in its sleeve. First of all, Thunderbolt, developed by Apple and Intel with professional applications in mind, supports two low-latency communications protocols - PCI Express for data transfer and DisplayPort for displays. Secondly, Thunderbolt technology works on data streams in both directions, at the same time, so users get the benefit of full 10Gb/s bandwidth in both directions, over a single cable.

usb30_thunderbolt.png

Additionally, USB 3.0 product certification continues to increase dramatically with more than 850 products now certified, including the first USB 3.0 Hub Silicon products. This continued investment from member companies has enabled the USB-IF to achieve worldwide consumer awareness with USB products. These developments and certification milestones continue to affirm SuperSpeed USB as the class leading I/O standard.

“USB continues to anticipate consumer need with relevant capabilities and increased speeds, including the new SuperSpeed USB at 10Gb/s transfer rate and Power Delivery specifications. The delivery of USB 3.0 certified products is continuing to grow exponentially, with over 1 billion USB 3.0 products shipping by the end of 2013. This huge growth is a testament to the benefits, ease of use, and continued relevance of USB technology. Industry adoption will only expand as USB continues to be the standard to which all other I/O connections are compared,†said Greg Potter, an analyst with Multimedia Research Group.

[04/09/2013 11:40 PM]

by Anton Shilov

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/other/display/20130409234042_New_Specifications_of_USB_3_0_Increase_Speed_to_10Gb_s.html

Intel i5 3570k | MSI GTX 670 Power Edition/OC SLI | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB | Fractal Design Newton R2 650W | NZXT Switch 810 SE Gun Metal | BenQ 24" XL2420T 120Hz | Corsair K90  | Logitech G500 / Logtitech Performance MX | Sennheiser PC 360 | Asus Xonar DGX | NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision 2 Wireless Kit

I've heard that their will be a new revision of thunderbolt but I've never heard that their'll be a new specification for the USB 3.0.

\[T]/ Praise the Sun!
Super Budget Gaming Build: Intel Pentium G1610, Gigabye GA-H61M-DS2 rev. 3, Kingston Value RAM 4GB CL9 1333MHz, Fractal Design Core 1000, Corsair VS 450, WD 1TB, Powercolor Radeon HD 7750 1GB/GDDR5, (Optional: Asus DRW-24B1ST).
 (Total: $340 USD)

Yes, Intel was demonstrating Thunderbolt with 20gb/s

The best way to predict the future is to invent it

Yes, Intel was demonstrating Thunderbolt with 20gb/s
Was gonna say the same thing

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

Thunderbolt at 20gb/ps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVIzCqwoxFo

USB 3 eat your heart out!

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

This is not really new news. At least not to me. They have presented and talk about USB 3.0 10GB/s a "long" (technology definition of "long") time before.