PC build for my dad -recommendations?

NoccoAddict

Hi there folks,

My dad's laptop is on the edge of dying, random screen flickering, one bsod after another so he consulted me to build a small compact computer for him.

I was thinking of going with:

i5-8400(stock cooler)

8GB 2666 DDR4 

1TB HDD

ASRock B360(Micro ATX)

Seasonic 520W

Would that be a reasonable build for a 68 year old? Something that he could keep for the rest of his life without upgrading? 

Don't kill your dad that early, LOL.

Does he want a desktop, or do you just want to get him another laptop?

I'd toss in an after-market air cooler and a 128 or 256 Gb boot SSD. You could probably just go with a 250 Gb SSD and not worry about an extra HDD.

if he's just web browsing, a ryzen 2200G will do just fine for his needs. the seasonic S12/M12 are old and missing protections, so get a corsair CX/coolermaster masterwatt instead.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

2 minutes ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

if he's just web browsing, a ryzen 2200G will do just fine for his needs. the seasonic S12/M12 are old and missing protections, so get a corsair CX/coolermaster masterwatt instead.

was gonna say that, either Ryzen 2200G or i3-8100, also an SSD :D so the PC is snappy

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

a i5 8400 system would approx. draw 205 watt so a 250/300 watt powersupply would be enough

throw in a small ssd for boot and most used programs like the browser

2200G would be the better choice. Its an nice allrounder and will last him quite a lot of years.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($98.89 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: ASRock - B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($82.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($69.99 @ Newegg Business) 
Storage: Crucial - MX500 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($64.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Rosewill - FBM-X1 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($21.99 @ Newegg Business) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $398.83
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-08-15 06:32 EDT-0400

Quality components only, nothing should skimp out on him. Add another ramstick at any point in the future if you want to

21 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Don't kill your dad that early, LOL.

Does he want a desktop, or do you just want to get him another laptop?

I'd toss in an after-market air cooler and a 128 or 256 Gb boot SSD. You could probably just go with a 250 Gb SSD and not worry about an extra HDD.

Desktop, no way im buying him a laptop(too expensive here(start at $790 where i live), way too unreliable and not enough upgradeability)

Yeah, probs getting a Arctic cpu cooler and a few silent case fans i have lying around. Thinking of a 960/970 Evo M.2, not sure if he needs that though.

9 minutes ago, syn2112 said:

@Julius0000
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8Gtstg

pick your own case and stuff, stock cooler should be fine, and 2x4gb RAM is important for dual channel memory.

The question is, does he need a 370 for a i3-8100? I got a unused 8GB 2666Mhz Ram stick lying around that i wanted to include in the build tbh

4 minutes ago, Julius0000 said:

Desktop, no way im buying him a laptop(too expensive here(start at $790 where i live), way too unreliable and not enough upgradeability)

Yeah, probs getting a Arctic cpu cooler and a few silent case fans i have lying around. Thinking of a 960/970 Evo M.2, not sure if he needs that though.

he doesn't need an M.2 SSD, nearly no benefits at all for day to day use, its more for professional use.

7 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

2200G would be the better choice. Its an nice allrounder and will last him quite a lot of years.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($98.89 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: ASRock - B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($82.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($69.99 @ Newegg Business) 
Storage: Crucial - MX500 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($64.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Rosewill - FBM-X1 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($21.99 @ Newegg Business) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $398.83
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-08-15 06:32 EDT-0400

Quality components only, nothing should skimp out on him. Add another ramstick at any point in the future if you want to

Im staying off of AMD for now after my recent mistake with a RX580, I just dont trust them tbh. Going with either the i3-8100 or i5-8400. Does he need that big of a psu though? realized the mistake with the psu i mentioned earlier afterwards

1 minute ago, Julius0000 said:

The question is, does he need a 370 for a i3-8100? I got a unused 8GB 2666Mhz Ram stick lying around that i wanted to include in the build tbh

oh i put a z370 board ? :D my mistake, swap that out for B360, and if you already have a RAM stick laying around then sure use that and save money :) it's just its more preffered to get dual channel, so i always recommend that.

1 minute ago, syn2112 said:

he doesn't need an M.2 SSD, nearly no benefits at all for day to day use, its more for professional use.

Oki, thanks. Going with a 860 Sata SSD then, shouldnt be too expensive i guess

3 minutes ago, Julius0000 said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/W2YhFt

fixed

10 minutes ago, syn2112 said:

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/m79BGG

Took all comments into consideration. Got the ram stick already, the hdd is already in the laptop, gonna rip that out and ive already got the wireless adapter.

All in all it seems like a sturdy Desktop pc for web browsing and playing solitaire lmao :D

(The reason why i am on the german pcpartpicker site is cause i am purchasing the parts in germany and importing it to my country(remote location, prices are hella expensive here.)

Edited by Julius0000

3 minutes ago, Julius0000 said:

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/m79BGG

Took all comments into consideration. Got the ram stick already, the hdd is already in the laptop, gonna rip that out and ive already got the wireless adapter.

All in all it seems like a sturdy Desktop pc for web browsing and playing solitaire lmao :D

(The reason why i am on the german pcpartpicker site is cause i am purchasing the parts in germany and importing it to my country(remote location, prices are hella expensive here.)

great choice of Case :D and i have no idea how your dad tolerated a 5400RPM hard drive, must've been a pain to use, the SSD will surely make him amazed, its a huge jump

45 minutes ago, syn2112 said:

great choice of Case :D and i have no idea how your dad tolerated a 5400RPM hard drive, must've been a pain to use, the SSD will surely make him amazed, its a huge jump

Yeah, hes been using it for over 10 years now though. its a 2007(if i recall correctly) dell model with vista lmao