Headphones louder on my Ipod than on my PC

dee974

I just got a pair of Razer Krakens (2.0 stereo) headphones  and their great. Problem is they are louder when plugged into my Ipod than when  plugged into my computer, and i know that they are only 32 ohms which should be easily  powered by my motherboard, right? 

I have tried to find the audio output specification for my motherboard to see if that is the problem but haven't had any luck...... My motherboard is an MSI FM2-A75MA-E35

I would really appreciate it if anyone could tell me if my motherboard is the problem, or if i just have to change a few settings as i don't really want to purchase a DAC or an Amp seeing as my headphones only cost me ~£60. 

This is my first post so i'm not sure if i am leaving out any necessary information, if i am please tell me and i will gladly provide you with any details needed. 

Thanks for reading, any type of response will be great.  :)

You listen to your headphones at max volume?

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

You listen to your headphones at max volume?

I am at the minute because they aren't all that loud, but if i try and play them at full volume on my Ipod i think my ears start to hurt and the bass moves the headphones a bit lol

Could be possible that the iPod has a louder amp, nothing shocking. If you want more on your computer, buy a headphone amp, but don't spend too much, those headphones aren't worth it.

That was my thinking exactly, but shouldn't my motherboard be able to handle these headphones, without an amp? 

I am at the minute because they aren't all that loud, but if i try and play them at full volume on my Ipod i think my ears start to hurt and the bass moves the headphones a bit lol

Use Foobar2k it makes music much louder than something like spotify or itunes.

That was my thinking exactly, but shouldn't my motherboard be able to handle these headphones, without an amp?

Yeah, it should. Do you have the latest drivers and you've disabled all enhancements? You also might be listening at levels that are too loud for most people which is why it might not get loud enough.

Use Foobar2k it makes music much louder than something like spotify or itunes.

Thanks, but i need better overall sound, for gaming, videos and music. I'll have to keep that program in mind though. Thanks

your on board audio must not be very powerful, get an amp if you really want it to be louder but the first step in better audio is better headphones.

Yeah, it should. Do you have the latest drivers and you've disabled all enhancements? You also might be listening at levels that are too loud for most people which is why it might not get loud enough.

Yeah i just downloaded the new realtek audio driver and it did nothing substantial :/ (not sure if that's the only driver)

All enhancements are off.

And i don't like my audio to be too loud, which is saying something since i can listen to my headphones on 100% when plugged into my computer, but as i said in my first post, their is no chance in hell that i would listen to the same headphones at 100% on my Ipod.

Yeah i just downloaded the new realtek audio driver and it did nothing substantial :/ (not sure if that's the only driver)

All enhancements are off.

And i don't like my audio to be too loud, which is saying something since i can listen to my headphones on 100% when plugged into my computer, but as i said in my first post, their is no chance in hell that i would listen to the same headphones at 100% on my Ipod.

Well if that's not the issue, don't bother on an amp, and buy better headphones if that's what you're after.

your on board audio must not be very powerful, get an amp if you really want it to be louder but the first step in better audio is better headphones.

The headphones aren't the problem, they sound great on my Ipod, just not as good as on my computer. And im not really wanting to get an amp since a good one will cost 50%> of the price of the headphones  :(

The headphones aren't the problem, they sound great on my Ipod, just not as good as on my computer. And im not really wanting to get an amp since a good one will cost 50%> of the price of the headphones  :(

If you can't wait until you have enough money to get better headphones you can get an amp/dac now that will hold you over using your current headphones until you get some better ones.