Fast Startup?

Inversion

My question is what is Fast Startup? Does it help? Is there any situation where you should turn it off (I've heard it might be a good idea with an SSD boot drive but don't know why)?

|| CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (@3.9GHz) || Motherboard: ASUS Prime B350 Plus || Cooler: Arctic Freezer 33 eSports Edition || GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC || Memory: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB C16 (@2933MHz) || SSD: SanDisk 128GB || HDD: WD Blue 2TB, Toshiba 2TB, Transcend 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM550x || Case: Fractal Design Focus G || Monitor: 2x AOC 23” I2369VM IPS Full HD, Samsung 32" LED TV Monitor || Mouse: Logitech G703 Wireless || Keyboard: Cooler Master MK750 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) || Speakers: Dell Stereo Speakers || Headphones: Sennheiser HD 4.40 BT / Samsung Galaxy Buds ||

How Fast Startup Works

Fast Startup combines elements of a cold shutdown and the hibernate feature. When you shut down your computer with Fast Startup enabled, Windows closes all applications and logs off all users, just as in a normal cold shutdown. At this point, Windows is in a state very similar to when it’s freshly booted up: No users have logged in and started programs, but the Windows kernel is loaded and the system session is running. Windows then alerts device drivers that support it to prepare for hibernation, saves the current system state to the hibernation file, and turns off the computer.

When you start the computer again, Windows does not have to reload the kernel, drivers, and system state individually. Instead, it just refreshes your RAM with the loaded image from the hibernation file and delivers you to the login screen. This technique can shave considerable time off your start up.

This is different from the regular hibernate feature. When you put your computer into hibernation mode, it also saves open folders and applications, as well as currently logged in users. Hibernation is great if you want to return your computer to the exact state it was in when you turned it off. Fast Startup offers a freshly-started Windows, just more quickly. And don’t forget, Windows offers various shutdown options too. It pays to understand how they differ.

https://www.howtogeek.com/243901/the-pros-and-cons-of-windows-10s-fast-startup-mode/

2 hours ago, Inversion said:

My question is what is Fast Startup? Does it help? Is there any situation where you should turn it off (I've heard it might be a good idea with an SSD boot drive but don't know why)?

Fast startup is a feature to accelerate Windows from starting from shutdown state (not for restarts).

Windows partially hibernates stuff that it evaluates that is unlikely to change between shutdowns, such as drivers, core components, and avoid reloading them. This accelerates the startup of the OS by considerable margins on most systems.

The downside is that this feature makes shutdowns process a bit slower as it need to partially hibernate.

If you wonder, Windows has a system in place where if a driver fails to load because, say you switch your graphics card, it will, at startup detect that and ignore the driver, and detect the new hardware as normal. So you have nothing to worry about. No special step needed for hardware changes.