External hard drive always plugged in

So right now i only have 500gb of internal storage and i have a external 1 tb hard drive, i mostly put my games and music inside my 1 tb is it safe to plug my external always in my pc? it's not turned on 24/7 maybe around 10 hours a day 

Unless you're doing automatic backups, I don't see the reason to have it plugged in all the time. Those things build up heat in their cases which isn't helping the longevity of the drive.

I have an external drive too. I plug it in, update it with new stuff, and unplug it.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

I leave it plugged in all the time, it spins down when idling and goes into standby when the pc is powered off or after an hour of idling.

Does you external hdd have this feature? If yes, then I don't see why you would constantly plug/unplug it.

[spoiler=»--((¯`·._.·¤~●oO му яιg Oo●~¤·._.·´¯))--«] Case: Corsair 600T White       CPU: Core i7 3930k @ 4.3GHz                     SSD: Crucial M500 480GB

MB:    Asus P9X79 LE         GPU: Nvidia GTX 780 Reference             HDD: WD Caviar Green 3TB

PSU:   Seasonic X-1050      RAM: G.Skill Trident X 32GB @ 2.4GHz   ☃ There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

They heat up a bit but should be fine. You could set so that you have separate power swithc between HDD and powerplug. Or if you don't use that external drive on any other machines, take it out from enclusure and use it as internal.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I know the drives with a power switch...you can leave it plugged in, but turned off otherwise why don't you put it into your PC?