DNG and TIFF?

Go to solution Solved by Fred Castellum,

No you can choose to keep either files alone. DNG and TIFF files aren't connected, their not a sister file or anything. Just two different file formats of the same picture. If your paranoid you could make a copy of 045.TIFF and 045.DNG then delete one or the other and open the one that you didn't delete to test if you notice anything missing. 

TIFF takes up more space, DNG takes up less but is still lossless. I'd pick the DNG files over the TIFF files unless you have a specific reason for keeping the TIFF files.

Hello LTT Forum.

I got myself a new phone recently and did discover "uncompressed" format at my camera app (TIFF) so I did choose that as internal space were no problem.

BUT... I did sync my phone into my desktop and I got a bunch of TIFF copies of DNG files that are 30-40mb each.

So my question is: Am I suppose to do something in the next step to merge them? (PS or Lightroom?) as I want the best possible quality out of it. Deleting the DNG files and keeping the TIFF is wrong right?

Just want to preserve the photos in the best way... and I am not sure what to do next.

Thanks 9_9

┏(◑̃.◑̃)┛ Totally Not Dangerous ┏(◐̃.◐̃)┛

i7 4790K / 16GB RAM \ 250GB SSD

Just now, MyInnerFred said:

Why not just keep and use the DNG files? 

6TQpEg0.png

And how should I do that? Let's say I want 1 file per picture but there is two? So the DNG is the negative... I suppose Photoshop and merge TIFF and DNG together will create its own picture and then export as TIFF again? :S

3 minutes ago, hug0mac said:

And how should I do that? Let's say I want 1 file per picture but there is two? So the DNG is the negative... I suppose Photoshop and merge TIFF and DNG together will create its own picture and then export as TIFF again? :S

I don't think I fully understand what your saying, you've got your phone app taking pictures in TIFF format correct? When you transfer them over to your PC your getting two formats of the same picture? TIFF and a DNG file? Do both pictures look different color/contrast wise? 

If they both look the same I'd just keep the DNG file and work with that to save disk space.

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Just now, MyInnerFred said:

I don't think I fully understand what your saying, you've got your phone app taking pictures in TIFF format correct? When you transfer them over to your PC your getting two formats of the same picture? TIFF and a DNG file? Do both pictures look different color/contrast wise? 

If they both look the same I'd just keep the DNG file and work with that to save disk space.

Yes my phone take the picture in TIFF format, I plug in my phone into Windows 10 and it show up as a camera, I transfer the pictures and when I open the location i have for example 045.TIFF and 045.DNG they are the same picture but the TIFF is 40MB and the DNG is 10MB in size. Should I just sort the folder of file type and delete all DNG files and keep the TIFF? If yes, then why do it save them as separate (the negative, as I am to believe all though the colors of the DNG is same as the TIFF)

:S I'm just afraid that if I delete the DNG files that the quality or something will be less.

No you can choose to keep either files alone. DNG and TIFF files aren't connected, their not a sister file or anything. Just two different file formats of the same picture. If your paranoid you could make a copy of 045.TIFF and 045.DNG then delete one or the other and open the one that you didn't delete to test if you notice anything missing. 

TIFF takes up more space, DNG takes up less but is still lossless. I'd pick the DNG files over the TIFF files unless you have a specific reason for keeping the TIFF files.

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

2 minutes ago, MyInnerFred said:

Oh! So it doesn't matter too much. That is what I was worried about that I might have to go another step to merge them at PC that my phone didn't do!

Thanks for letting me know. :x