Transfering my hdd to a ssd

rice4thewin
Go to solution Solved by Lady Fitzgerald,

I've cloned HDDs to SSDs many times using Macrium Reflect without any problems. The free version, Macrium Reflect Free, is plenty for most people.

Found out my hdd is dying and is running super slow so i bought a ssd to replace it. Its coming in tonight and I was wondering where do i start? I dont want to lose any files from my c drive and I want everything to be exactly how I left it. Also will I need to find my windows key again or will windows automatically install without problems on its own?

10 minutes ago, rice4thewin said:

Found out my hdd is dying and is running super slow so i bought a ssd to replace it. Its coming in tonight and I was wondering where do i start? I dont want to lose any files from my c drive and I want everything to be exactly how I left it. Also will I need to find my windows key again or will windows automatically install without problems on its own?

Either clone the drive to the SSD, or install windows to it and transfer all the files over.

Just now, TheGlenlivet said:

Either clone the drive to the SSD, or install windows to it and transfer all the files over.

Like this Dude. I'd reinstall windows and move things over

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

2 hours ago, TheGlenlivet said:

which one would be faster? cloning or installing and transferring?

Just now, rice4thewin said:

which one would be faster? cloning or installing and transferring?

Faster would probably be cloning, but there is a risk of corruption with cloning.

The safest way is with a new install.

What SSD do you have?

29 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

I've never cloned to that SSD before.  If you can, I'd transfer everything over instead of cloning.

how would i do that? just install windows on the ssd and then copy and paste the whole drive onto the ssd?

4 minutes ago, rice4thewin said:

how would i do that? just install windows on the ssd and then copy and paste the whole drive onto the ssd?

No, just the files, not the windows boot partition or the back ups.

But I’m trying to get rid of the hdd and fully replacing it with the ssd. So how would I get windows on to the ssd 

3 hours ago, TheGlenlivet said:

ok so should i just drag over all these folders but the windows folder onto the ssd?

Capture.PNG

Install new windows on the SSD and activate it with the code from the old one.You can make an install tool here.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Isn't the Windows key used once locked to the original HDD it was installed on?

CPU: Intel i5-9600k | MoBo: Gigabyte Aorus Elite z390 | RAM: 16gb (4 x 4gb) Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4-2400

GPU: Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme 1080ti | Storage: 500gb Samsung 860 vNand SSD x2 & 1tb WD Caviar Blue HDD

Chassis: NZXT h700i White w/ RGB LED | Cooling: Corsair H100i Pro RGB AIO & 6x Corsair AF120 fans White LED

Screens: 2x 27" Acer HA270 Ultra Slim LED | Peripherals: MSI Interceptor RGB DS4200 Key & D200 Mouse

18 minutes ago, hazeyez said:

Isn't the Windows key used once locked to the original HDD it was installed on?

i think its locked to the mobo, right?

I've cloned HDDs to SSDs many times using Macrium Reflect without any problems. The free version, Macrium Reflect Free, is plenty for most people.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

PCMover? Or diskimage? Try checking stuff from laplink.com tried using PCMover 3 months ago and it went smooth for me. 

• 2 weeks later...

PCmover is definitely the easiest way to accomplish this. Install Windows on the SSD, run PCmover (on the SSD) and choose the HDD as the source hard drive.