Upgrading CPU for Plex Server to handle more transcoding.

Maximoose

I am looking into buying an AMD Ryzen 2600 (PassMark ~13,000) for transcoding on my Plex server (along with all of the appropriate parts to go with it) to replace my i5 3570 (PassMark ~7000) which would cripple under the load of 2 transcodes from 1080p. From task manager, it appears that the CPU is the only thing that is pegged out. I am looking to do 4-5 streams transcoded from 1080p files.

One more thing, I have a GTX 970 that is in the current system and will end up in the new system. Is there something I can do with the GPU that will be able to handle the 4-5 streams that I am looking to handle without upgrading the CPU? Can the Ryzen handle that load and is it a good idea in general?

Thanks in advance!

Got an Android, never going back to apple again (notice I spelled apple with a lowercase and Android with an uppercase)

Is power consumption a concern? if not why not look into older hardware like a fx-8350 or 4790k? I am personally in the process of upgrading my old i5 2500k plex server to a 4770k or 4790k(haven't decided on which yet, but I have both on hand)

A 3570 should have no problem handling 2 transcodes, it should be able to handle 3 1080p transcodes. With that being said, what is your buffer size? unless your starting all streams at once having a larger buffer size will help plex bounce back and forth between the transcodes and keep ahead of where your viewing, its just a band-aid but it helps.

Are you transcoding because of needing lower quality streams because of bandwidth limitations while doing offsite streams? If not and its all local instead id look at finding audio and video containers that play well with your plex clients and do the initial transcode from your media to that format so plex wont have to transcode so much on the fly.

You can use your gtx 970 but last i knew gpu transcoding was still in its early stages and was really inefficient  and you couldnt have it help your cpu it was you chose one or the other to do all your transcoding. Things may have gotten better now but its been a good minute since I looked into it.

The 3570 has Intel Quick Sync - do you have a Plex Pass Subscription? 

If so you could try enabling Hardware-Accelerated Streaming https://support.plex.tv/articles/115002178853-using-hardware-accelerated-streaming/

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO + 4 Additional Venturi 120mm Fans | 14 x 20TB Seagate Exos X22 20TB | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA