Whic one should I buy Rx 580 4gb or Rx 580 8gb?

Captain Boomerang
Go to solution Solved by MoblietzS,

I would just buy the Rx 580 8gb, because the price difference isn't too big, and the 8gb vram is better for the future. So you will be able to use the rx 580 8gb longer than the 4gb, because of the 8gb vram. Right now there isn't a big difference in games, but in the future some games will probably require you to have more vram than 4gb. So if you want to use the gpu for a while i would go for the rx 580 8gb, just because of the small price difference and because it's better for the future. But if you won't use the gpu for very long you can go for the rx 580 4gb aswell.

I am building a brand new PC (for the first time). Cant decide on which gpu to buy!! Rx 580 4gb or Rx 580 8gb!!!

if you can try to get the 8gb version, also if you only have 8gh of ram then really try to get the 8gb version as it means less things have to stay in ram

I would just buy the Rx 580 8gb, because the price difference isn't too big, and the 8gb vram is better for the future. So you will be able to use the rx 580 8gb longer than the 4gb, because of the 8gb vram. Right now there isn't a big difference in games, but in the future some games will probably require you to have more vram than 4gb. So if you want to use the gpu for a while i would go for the rx 580 8gb, just because of the small price difference and because it's better for the future. But if you won't use the gpu for very long you can go for the rx 580 4gb aswell.

8GB. It will also hold its value slightly better and will be easier to sell down the road should you need to.  

Ryzen 2600 - Sapphire Pulse Vega 56 - Corsair Vengeance LED DDR4 3000 C15 2x8GB - Corsair Force MP500 NVMe PCIe M.2 240GB - 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB - 

AsRock B450 PRO4 - Deepcool Earlkase Case -  Seasonic Foucus+ 650

On Mon Aug 13 2018 at 12:44 AM, MoblietzS said:

Thanks for the reply. Some people are saying i dont need 8gb ( as i will play at 1080p), 4gb vram is enough for me. Is it true? I am really confused -_-

Hello! @Captain Boomerang, yes as i said right now 4gb of vram is enough, but soon it won't be. So if you plan to upgrade your GPU after a short time, than it's fine, but if you want to keep it for more than 2+ years than 4gb vram isn't enough. 8gb will be enough for a LONGGGG time. But if you plan on playing on the lowest settings, yeah than 4gb of vram is enough for a while, but with such a card i wouldn't suggest you to play on the lowest settings. Even with 1080p 4gb of vram really isn't enough in a year or something (for the higher settings). So that's why i really suggest you to buy the 8gb version, because the price difference isn't big. (at least in my country)

11 minutes ago, MoblietzS said:

Hello! @Captain Boomerang, yes as i said right now 4gb of vram is enough, but soon it won't be. So if you plan to upgrade your GPU after a short time, than it's fine, but if you want to keep it for more than 2+ years than 4gb vram isn't enough. 8gb will be enough for a LONGGGG time. But if you plan on playing on the lowest settings, yeah than 4gb of vram is enough for a while, but with such a card i wouldn't suggest you to play on the lowest settings. Even with 1080p 4gb of vram really isn't enough in a year or something (for the higher settings). So that's why i really suggest you to buy the 8gb version, because the price difference isn't big. (at least in my country)

Thanks for the great suggestion!!! But i will bother you for one last time! As this will be my first PC build and I want to play for at least 3-4 years with the gpu i buy! Which of the following would be better gtx 1060 6gb or rx 580 8gb. I managed the money ( i have budget to manage gtx 1060 gb or Rx 580) with a lot of hard work so i want a gpu that will serve me best for 3-4 years with no worries

Hello once again @Captain Boomerang! No problem, you can bother me as much as you want haha! The gtx 1060 6gb and the rx 580 8gb perform fairly similar, in some games the gtx 1060 gets more fps, and in other games the rx 580. But the difference is really small, so i would go for the rx 580 just for the extra vram!

Here is a video that compares these two, so you can see the difference. But that gpu probably won't be able to play every new game in the next 3-4 years on Ultra, if that's what you want. But it still would be able to play games on pretty high settings in the next 3-4 years.

9 minutes ago, MoblietzS said:

Hello once again @Captain Boomerang! No problem, you can bother me as much as you want haha! The gtx 1060 6gb and the rx 580 8gb perform fairly similar, in some games the gtx 1060 gets more fps, and in other games the rx 580. But the difference is really small, so i would go for the rx 580 just for the extra vram!

Here is a video that compares these two, so you can see the difference. But that gpu probably won't be able to play every new game in the next 3-4 years on Ultra, if that's what you want.

That was a great help. Thanks a lot :) I will go for Rx 580 8gb and  will buy lg 22mp68vq as it has freesync. Will start saving some money to buy new gpu in after 3 years :D

Just now, Captain Boomerang said:
13 minutes ago, MoblietzS said:

Here is a video that compares these two, so you can see the difference. But that gpu probably won't be able to play every new game in the next 3-4 years on Ultra, if that's what you want.

That was a great help. Thanks a lot :) I will go for Rx 580 8gb and  will buy lg 22mp68vq as it has freesync. Will start saving some money to buy new gpu in after 3 years :D

Hey, No problem! Glad to help you. I hope you will enjoy your GPU! :)

2 minutes ago, MoblietzS said:

One last question @Captain Boomerang, is it a 144hz monitor? Because if you buy a rx 580 8gb you need to take advantage of that fps and buy a 144hz monitor.

2 minutes ago, MoblietzS said:

One last question @Captain Boomerang, is it a 144hz monitor? Because if you buy a rx 580 8gb you need to take advantage of that fps and buy a 144hz monitor.

No. Its 60hz and 75hz with freesync. 144hz monitor is too expensive :(

16 minutes ago, MoblietzS said:

1 minute ago, Captain Boomerang said:

No. Its 60hz and 75hz with freesync. 144hz monitor is too expensive :(

Oh ok @Captain Boomerang, isn't there maybe a 100hz monitor that's cheap enough? because there is a pretty big difference with the feeling between 75hz and 100hz.

Okay, i will search for it now. thanks btw :)

No problem! I hope you can find one, and if not 75hz freesync is still fine. But it's nice of course to just have a monitor higher than 75hz if you get more fps than 75.

There are some cheap 144hz monitors aswell but i don't know if they fit in your budget?

ViewSonic XG2402 (freesync)

Acer GN246HLB (no freesync)

Acer XF240H (freesync)

9 minutes ago, MoblietzS said:

No problem! I hope you can find one, and if not 75hz freesync is still fine. But it's nice of course to just have a monitor higher than 75hz if you get more fps than 75.

I searched it. 100hz monitor are $270+ here. Where the one i am planing to buy is $127.

1 minute ago, Captain Boomerang said:

I searched it. 100hz monitor are $270+ here. Where the one i am planing to buy is $127.

Oh yeah, than you can better just buy the 75hz freesync one. What are the specs of your pc gonna be?

Just now, MoblietzS said:

Oh yeah, than you can better just buy the 75hz freesync one. What are the specs of your pc gonna be?

Processor: i5 8400

Mobo: Gigabyte 360M DS3H

RAM: Corsaire LBX 8gb

HDD: WD 1Tb

GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 580 8G  (Limited Addition)

PSU: Antec Neo Eco 550w

Casing: p8 tempered glass

(This are all choosen according to my tight budget)

41 minutes ago, MoblietzS said:

3 minutes ago, Captain Boomerang said:

Processor: i5 8400

Mobo: Gigabyte 360M DS3H

RAM: Corsaire LBX 8gb

HDD: WD 1Tb

GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 580 8G  (Limited Addition)

PSU: Antec Neo Eco 550w

Casing: p8 tempered glass

(This are all choosen according to my tight budget)

Nice! Have fun with your PC!

Once again thanks a lot for all the suggestions and help :)

No problem, glad i could help you!!!! :)

On 8/15/2018 at 10:45 PM, MoblietzS said:

No problem, glad i could help you!!!! :)

Hello @MoblietzS knocking you again!! Hope you are fine. I got a deal from our local computer shop gtx 1080 armor at $487 ( price reduction due to new rtx series). When rtx 2070 (non-founder edition) will be available at our country it will be priced at least $750+ (including tax and profit). So will it be wise decision to go for 1080? Or should I just save $101 buy rx580 8gb at $386 and buy rtx series GPU after few years later.

22 hours ago, Captain Boomerang said:

Hello @MoblietzS knocking you again!! Hope you are fine. I got a deal from our local computer shop gtx 1080 armor at $487 ( price reduction due to new rtx series). When rtx 2070 (non-founder edition) will be available at our country it will be priced at least $750+ (including tax and profit). So will it be wise decision to go for 1080? Or should I just save $101 buy rx580 8gb at $386 and buy rtx series GPU after few years later.

Hey @Captain Boomerang! I'm great, how about you? That's a great deal, the gtx 1080 will be great for a lot of years, so that's a wise decision if you go for the 1080. It will be a great gpu for a lot of years! With the 1080 you can play on higher settings than the rx 580, and the gtx 1080 is overall more a lot more powerful than a rx 580! And you will be able to use it for higher settings for a longer time.