another newb trying to set an SSD boot drive....

dR.Ugz

I've just purchased an SSD and am currently waiting for it to come in the mail...(Adata SX900 256gb)

So basically i want to install my existing OS(Win8) on the SSD (i hear its much better/stable to install to the SSD rather than try and use a migration program),  have a few programs that i primarily use on it as well. Then use my "old" 1TB HDD as a storage drive for all my other files and other programs i want to run but don't feel the need to take up space on the SSD...

Do i have this right?

disconnect the HDD, and connect the SSD. boot to bios and make sure its there and ready to receive the OS. as well as set the SATA mode to AHCI. after the OS is installed i can then reconnect the HHD and make sure both drives are visible in "My Computer", or "This PC" as they call it now... and assign the appropriate letters to the drives if this is not yet done.  

But now that i've done this i've been reading that all the programs will no longer be usable? what about all my pictures and music?

pictures, music and games are really the only things i keep when do a reformat or, "restore to factory condition". so should i just save these files and wipe the HDD and start fresh?

i'm thinking if i do a restore from back up wont it try and just install everything on the SSD since this would now be the C: drive? 

how does this all work here? :P

thnx,

• CPU: AMD FX-8350   Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3(rev 4.0)   RAM: 8GBs of Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz   GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 660 OC DirectCU   Case: Corsair 750D   Storage: Adata 256GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU: Corsair 750w   Display(s): [ASUS VG248QE 144Hz], [ASUS VE247H]   Cooling: Corsair H100i   Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70   Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013.

looks good so far.

All the data will remain on the HDD, when you enter it, you will see everything as it was pre-SSD.

If you decide to not erase / re-format the HDD:

1. Make sure the bios is still set to use the SSD as the boot device (otherwise if the HDD may be used and not boot to the SSD, but the old Install).

2. On the HDD, you will see a users folder, this is all your old stuff (pictures etc). Click and drag as needed to desired locations (you may need to take ownership of these folders again).

3. A lot of applications will work just fine installed on the HDD, and will just add themselves to the registry when you run them, others will not, and can cause some issues, just re-install these ones.

4. the old windows folder will remain on the HDD, if you want to delete that one you will need to audit the permissions and security of the windows folder and enclosing items so that you actually have permission to delete them.

To be honest it would be easier to reformat and not worry about all that.

yeah im thinking thats what i'll do, i've already saved all my music, pictures, and well as far as the games go, they're all on steam anyway. so i'll just have to run steam and install them again. So after i install the OS on the SSD, format the HDD and wipe it clean then? the old install of the OS too? i cant imagine that doing much other than taking up space anyway...

thnks,

.Ugz

• CPU: AMD FX-8350   Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3(rev 4.0)   RAM: 8GBs of Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz   GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 660 OC DirectCU   Case: Corsair 750D   Storage: Adata 256GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU: Corsair 750w   Display(s): [ASUS VG248QE 144Hz], [ASUS VE247H]   Cooling: Corsair H100i   Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70   Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013.