1070 or 1070ti or 1080?

halblah
Go to solution Solved by JZStudios,
1 hour ago, halblah said:

at this point the 1070ti is pretty much out of the equation. I did some research online and I was surprised that there are so few reviews on this detuned card. But I found this 

apparently they are all the same, just not factory ocd.

They basically just failed the OC requirements for the standard FTW line, but are otherwise operational.

So, yes they are the same, but they aren't stable at the same high OC in most scenarios. After all, why scrap the card when it's still technically completely functional?

I linked to a thread on the EVGA forums discussing it above.

GPU prices are dropping, what should I get for ultrawide 1440P 60hz gaming?

1070@379.99USD

1070ti@429.99USD

1080@449.99USD

Honestly, I can afford the 1080, but that is if I squeeze every penny out of my wallet. I don't want to spend more than I have to, I am only playing games like Division, Gears of war, and forza on a 60hz panel.

What do you guys think? Thanks everyone.

If you dont need it right away possibly wait for the next gen nvidia cards due out end of august / september ish. If theyre a huge improvement the wait will be worth it, if theyre not the prices on last gen will probably still drop.

1070 is perfectly fine for 1440p 60Hz but I find the 1070ti and the 1080 to be a better deal for the money.

Anyway, new cards are about to come out so I would just wait a few weeks if you can.

@WereCat the 1170 wont be out till Sept 30, and since everyone is waiting for it, i dont think I can get one for a reasonable price in the near future.  so just looking at the 10 series, what do you think is the best choice?

17 hours ago, halblah said:

GPU prices are dropping, what should I get for ultrawide 1440P 60hz gaming?

1070@379.99USD

1070ti@429.99USD

1080@449.99USD

Honestly, I can afford the 1080, but that is if I squeeze every penny out of my wallet. I don't want to spend more than I have to, I am only playing games like Division, Gears of war, and forza on a 60hz panel.

What do you guys think? Thanks everyone.

if you need it right now buy an evga gpu and they will let you upgrade within 90 days through their step-up program to the new GPU's

https://www.evga.com/support/stepup/

EVGA Step-Up is currently only available to residents of the United States (not including outlying territories), Canada and EU Countries.

2 hours ago, mr.happy said:

if you need it right now buy an evga gpu and they will let you upgrade within 90 days through their step-up program to the new GPU's

https://www.evga.com/support/stepup/

EVGA Step-Up is currently only available to residents of the United States (not including outlying territories), Canada and EU Countries.

wow thats nice, how come no one has never mentioned it before?

31 minutes ago, halblah said:

amazon just got evga gtx 1080 ftw2 for $430 in stock just now I just checked I bought one two days ago

35 minutes ago, halblah said:

I know right, I found out because somebody told me here's a video by evga

3 minutes ago, mr.happy said:

amazon just got evga gtx 1080 ftw2 for $430 in stock just now I just checked I also bought one two days ago

holy that is cheap, do you think 1080 price will drop a bit more in the next 10 days?

not sure, but evga will let you use what you paid towards the new gpu, not including tax you should watch the video

if you want you can wait it out for the new gpu's that are rumored 

24 minutes ago, halblah said:

holy that is cheap, do you think 1080 price will drop a bit more in the next 10 days?

1 hour ago, mr.happy said:

amazon just got evga gtx 1080 ftw2 for $430 in stock just now I just checked I bought one two days ago

Umm, link please? I was looking a 1070 TI that price...My Amazon is showing that as $570

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-GAMING-GDDR5X-Technology/dp/B06X3QRQJR/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1534137100&sr=8-1&keywords=gtx+1080+ftw2

I'd also like to know what 1080 you found for $450. Wasn't looking to go over $400, but if there's a 1080 that's $50 more that's worth it.

Edit, seems there's a detuned 1080 for that price, but the "boost clock" they list is drastically lower than the standard and doesn't claim it'll go as high.

#Muricaparrotgang

5 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

Umm, link please? I was looking a 1070 TI that price...My Amazon is showing that as $570

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-GAMING-GDDR5X-Technology/dp/B06X3QRQJR/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1534137100&sr=8-1&keywords=gtx+1080+ftw2

I'd also like to know what 1080 you found for $450. Wasn't looking to go over $400, but if there's a 1080 that's $50 more that's worth it.

Edit, seems there's a detuned 1080 for that price, but the "boost clock" they list is drastically lower than the standard and doesn't claim it'll go as high.

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-1080-GAMING-GDDR5X/dp/B076C1BY5C/ref=pd_cart_vw_2_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B076C1BY5C&pd_rd_r=e2e5d929-fe60-4f42-bc3d-4fc169f26c41&pd_rd_w=Le6c2&pd_rd_wg=syTyP&psc=1&refRID=21EY8PZNJH2A6B4DG72E

GTX 1080 on a 1440 X 2560 75Hz monitor checking in.

Forgive me El Guapo. I know that I, Jefe, do not have your superior intellect and education...

#Muricaparrotgang

1 minute ago, mr.happy said:

has better cooling technology

I meant the one that isn't detuned. Do you actually have it et? I'd like to know what the benchmarks are like compared to other 1080 models and the 1070 TI.

I know the FTW2 line has the newer thermistats and cooling setup, but they also have the base FTW2 and the DT DTW, which basically (apparently) wasn't able to maintain the high demands of the FTW cards, but otherwise functional.

An EVGA Tech support on their forum "The FTW DT is a card that wasn't able to run stably at the voltage and clock speed the FTW requires, so it may or may not overclock as well; unfortunately we're unable to say for sure. One thing to keep in mind: overclocking the card will not void your warranty, unless you physically modify it, nor will replacing the stock heatsink with a waterblock. Simply make sure to keep the stock HS and put it back on the card if you need warranty service."

https://forums.evga.com/1080-FTW-DT-Page-5-m2506026-p5.aspx

#Muricaparrotgang

2 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

I meant the one that isn't detuned. Do you actually have it et? I'd like to know what the benchmarks are like compared to other 1080 models and the 1070 TI.

I don't have it yet, I plan on using it until the new gpu's come out

Just now, mr.happy said:

I don't have it yet, I plan on using it until the new gpu's come out

Maybe I should wait for you to get it and give me a day 1 review. xD

Other people online claim to be able to boost it to at least 2Mhz, which isn't too bad and should still plenty of performance. If it works well, then it's a much better deal than the 1070 TI at the same price.

#Muricaparrotgang

5 minutes ago, halblah said:

Don't have a verdict yet. Cheapest cards I found were all EVGA.

1070 for $380

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-GAMING-Support-08G-P4-5173-KR/dp/B01KVZBNY0/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1534189209&sr=1-2&keywords=gtx+1070&dpID=5106W58qESL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

1070 TI for $430

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-SILENT-Graphics-08G-P4-6678-KR/dp/B077Z6LFQ1/ref=sr_1_5?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1534189209&sr=1-5&keywords=gtx+1070&dpID=51FZGLETlXL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

1080 for $430

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-GAMING-GDDR5X-Technology/dp/B076C1BY5C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1534189290&sr=8-1&keywords=gtx%2B1080%2Bftw2&th=1

Couple things to note, the 1070 and 1070 Ti use EVGA's old cooler style, the ACX 3.0. The newer models use an ICX thing that has more temp sensors and some other features but the cards themselves are near identical.

The 1080 is the newer model card that for some reason or another when tested didn't achieve the requirements for the FTW brand, hence the DT "De-Tuned." It's been restored to factory clocks and you can overclock it, and some people can get really high overclocks while others only get a moderate overclock.

I tried finding benchmarks for it, but they don't seem to exist although I believe even still it should outperform the 1070 and 1070 TI.

Happy bought one a few days ago so I'm personally waiting for him to get it and see if he can say yay or nay on it.

#Muricaparrotgang

5 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

Don't have a verdict yet. Cheapest cards I found were all EVGA.

1070 for $380

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-GAMING-Support-08G-P4-5173-KR/dp/B01KVZBNY0/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1534189209&sr=1-2&keywords=gtx+1070&dpID=5106W58qESL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

1070 TI for $430

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-SILENT-Graphics-08G-P4-6678-KR/dp/B077Z6LFQ1/ref=sr_1_5?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1534189209&sr=1-5&keywords=gtx+1070&dpID=51FZGLETlXL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

1080 for $430

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-GAMING-GDDR5X-Technology/dp/B076C1BY5C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1534189290&sr=8-1&keywords=gtx%2B1080%2Bftw2&th=1

Couple things to note, the 1070 and 1070 Ti use EVGA's old cooler style, the ACX 3.0. The newer models use an ICX thing that has more temp sensors and some other features but the cards themselves are near identical.

The 1080 is the newer model card that for some reason or another when tested didn't achieve the requirements for the FTW brand, hence the DT "De-Tuned." It's been restored to factory clocks and you can overclock it, and some people can get really high overclocks while others only get a moderate overclock.

I tried finding benchmarks for it, but they don't seem to exist although I believe even still it should outperform the 1070 and 1070 TI.

Happy bought one a few days ago so I'm personally waiting for him to get it and see if he can say yay or nay on it.

at this point the 1070ti is pretty much out of the equation. I did some research online and I was surprised that there are so few reviews on this detuned card. But I found this 

apparently they are all the same, just not factory ocd.