Can i connect my PC to a UPS which is inturn connected to a inveter?

DeadlyTitan
So am new to this stuff and I'll try to make it as simple as possible, can i connect my desktop to a UPS which is supported by inverter? cause it takes a second for the inverter to kick in and that's the one second which makes the system to restart. 

Basically what it is is i have a desktop which is backed up by a pure sinewave inverter, but the problem is it takes a second for the inverter to kick in and that makes my system to restart, once the inverter kicks in there are no other problems so i am thinking about buying a UPS to connect to the PC so it can stay online during the time it takes my inverter to kick in. I dont need any massive backup from the UPS, just enough to keep the computer online until inverter kicks in. 

There wont be any complications right? is there something i should know? 

Microsoft in there infinite wisdom have decided to impose a VRAM cap for games the that use DX9 o.O. May God Bless them those whoever came up with that idea. :dry:

You're looking for something that does not, has not, will not, might not or must not exist ... ... but you're always welcome to search for it. 

18 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Yea you can do normally do this fine. 

If you don't have a online ups, you may see the bad output from the inverter.

I am indeed considering an online UPS, but they are expensive so until i get paid and after i paid my bills, i need to check how much i'll be left with.  

You can automate this with relays if you wan't

This just umm, lets just say  i am pretty new to this kinda stuff and i basically have no idea what you are saying :D

Microsoft in there infinite wisdom have decided to impose a VRAM cap for games the that use DX9 o.O. May God Bless them those whoever came up with that idea. :dry:

You're looking for something that does not, has not, will not, might not or must not exist ... ... but you're always welcome to search for it. 

7 hours ago, DeadlyTitan said:

I am indeed considering an online UPS, but they are expensive so until i get paid and after i paid my bills, i need to check how much i'll be left with.  

what type of inverter are you using?

what are you powering with this(active pfc?)

21 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

what type of inverter are you using?

what are you powering with this(active pfc?)

Umm, i guess its a Line Interactive one. It takes power from the mains and only kicks in when there is a power outrage. Its 1100VA. My current system have 750W PSU and i have to say it only restarts when the system is running under full load for example when playing games that use more than 60% of my GPU, else it wont restart my PC even during power outrages. Its connected to 3 x 65 Ah batteries in series for a total of 195 Ah. These are solid batteries with no liquid and are pretty new.

I use it to power my Desktop, config below

• i7 8700
  • GTX 1080 ti
  • 2x16 GB (32 GB 3000Mhz cas 15) Ram
  • Corsair RMX 750
  • 4x 4 TB 7200 RPM HDD's 
  • Samsung 960 Pro NVMe 512 GB SSD
  • Samsung 850 Evo 1 TB SSD
  • Coolermaster Hyper 212x
  • Monitor 1 - 
  • monitor 2 - 
  • 2:1 sound system
  • wifi router

I have separate inverter for my home and other appliances. 

UPS should solve your problem. I have Eaton Powerware 9140 that takes power from mains. If mains fail, contactor switcher the UPS input to generator output and my diesel generator starts up. If mains power is back up again the contactor connects to that and disconnects the generator. My UPS is 3-phase (and generator too) so it might be little bigger than usually in home situations but basics are same than yours. If I understand correctly your inverter does the switching so you don't need contactor before UPS.

So.. Answer is yes ;-)

5 minutes ago, DeadlyTitan said:

Umm, i guess its a Line Interactive one. It takes power from the mains and only kicks in when there is a power outrage

that would be a offline ups, a line interactive ups has  a transformer to change the voltage without swithching to battery power.

7 minutes ago, hackky said:

UPS should solve your problem. I have Eaton Powerware 9140 that takes power from mains. If mains fail, contactor switcher the UPS input to generator output and my diesel generator starts up. If mains power is back up again the contactor connects to that and disconnects the generator. My UPS is 3-phase (and generator too) so it might be little bigger than usually in home situations but basics are same than yours. If I understand correctly your inverter does the switching so you don't need contactor before UPS.

So.. Answer is yes ;-)

6 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

that would be a offline ups, a line interactive ups has  a transformer to change the voltage without swithching to battery power.

When i called the service guy he checked it up and said the problem is inverter output voltage drops to 140 when there is a sudden power outbreak and the system is running under heavy load, but everything comes back to normal after that initial first second, its an inverter and UPS. He just chalked it up to saying its normal and nothing to worry about. He also suggested i go for online UPS, but i just want a temporary solution until i can afford an online ups it in a month or two.  

imho if you want a temporary solution you buy cheapest UPS that can deliver that 750W (1000VA or more) and call it a day. It will not be online version, but your computer power source has big enough capacitors to handle the fraction of a second power delay that the UPS takes to kick in. Of course online version is better, but it would still be much quicker than your inverter. 

I have not seen a computer that shuts down in recent years because of offline UPS being too slow. On the other hand, I have not "played" with offline UPS devices lately.. :P

The serial or usb output from UPS to PC should be optically (or mechanically, through signal transformers) isolated so it shouldn't matter what's used to power the ups or pc or whatever.  Think of it like sending Morse code signals between two hills - the ups can send signals to the PC and the PC can send signals to UPS through the cable, but the two devices are like two separate hills... doesn't matter what powers ups or pc. 

An UPS will be affected a bit if it's powered from an inverter... well, the charge rate of the internal battery should be affected. Otherwise, it would depend on the UPS technology, the UPS may simply pass through the AC voltage from the inverter to the PC or may tweak it a bit (if it's a good quality line interactive UPS or online UPS) or the UPS may permanently power the PC from internal battery or through an isolating transformer inside the UPS.

depending on the voltage of your DC source for the inverter, you could take out the batteries in an old UPS and plug your DC source right into the UPS. It would function the same as the inverter, maybe better since most inverters suck at making pure sine wave AC. 

ASU

8 hours ago, mariushm said:

The serial or usb output from UPS to PC should be optically (or mechanically, through signal transformers) isolated so it shouldn't matter what's used to power the ups or pc or whatever.  Think of it like sending Morse code signals between two hills - the ups can send signals to the PC and the PC can send signals to UPS through the cable, but the two devices are like two separate hills... doesn't matter what powers ups or pc. 

An UPS will be affected a bit if it's powered from an inverter... well, the charge rate of the internal battery should be affected. Otherwise, it would depend on the UPS technology, the UPS may simply pass through the AC voltage from the inverter to the PC or may tweak it a bit (if it's a good quality line interactive UPS or online UPS) or the UPS may permanently power the PC from internal battery or through an isolating transformer inside the UPS.

6 hours ago, Hackentosher said:

depending on the voltage of your DC source for the inverter, you could take out the batteries in an old UPS and plug your DC source right into the UPS. It would function the same as the inverter, maybe better since most inverters suck at making pure sine wave AC. 

After debating with myself over and over on this, i have decided to install an online UPS cause i have to install it sooner or later anyway. At first i wanted to just buy an APC Back-UPS Pro 1500VA UPS Battery Backup & Surge Protector (BR1500G) and get rid of the problem temporarily until i can buy an online UPS in the following months (probably 6 months after)  but then i have decided might as well just spend the extra $200 now and go for online ups than spending $200 now and then an another $400 later when installing an online UPS. 

• 2 weeks later...

The UPS is just another inverter and it won't solve the issue, The UPS will have a small delay too. What you need is a voltage stabilizer/Regulator. The voltage stabilizer regulates the power supply and removes the delay with a constant supply. it will also protect your pc from damage due to voltage fluctuations. Hope this helps :)