Sky Soarer - My First Epic Gaming Rig

Introduction
Firstly, hey LTT community! I am a new member in this community forum and before then, I have been watching many videos from LMG, which inspired me to join this community and build my first gaming rig. I also built a tower game server using server hardware after encountering my first LTT video of Linus explaining the difference between Intel Core and Intel Xeon CPUs, but it was sold as I stopped hosting game servers. I am a young adult living in Singapore!

After a few years in the Desktop Replacement Laptop community, when I used to heft a large laptop with "desktop grade hardware", my lifestyle was, I needed a laptop with desktop hardware since it needs to go out often for school, classes and LAN parties. Now, the journey in the Desktop Replacement laptop community has come to an end as I have finished my polytechnic degree, now awaiting for graduation and almost never take a computer out of the home anymore. I needed a new system, but instead of buying another laptop, I decided to go with a desktop build. And a modern, epic one, inspired by a few of LTT's videos. I now unveil to you, my computer system which I call: Sky Soarer

I decided to of course, go with a more value optimized build for the computer box itself and for a first timer, to challenge myself to build a Compact Gaming Rig, that has some level of LAN party portability so once in a blue moon I could bring it to a family or friend's place to play!

This build is currently still in progress, but I am near completion!

These LTT videos inspired me the most to build the rig:

Spoiler

and more importantly, I like RGB as well, like Linus does! So what gaming rig doesn't have RGB today? ;)

Specifications

Spoiler

Motherboard: ASUS Z370i ROG STRIX Gaming ITX

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700k (Minor overclock of 50, 49, 49, 48, 48, 47)
RAM: 32GB (2 X 16GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz Dual Channel 
GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Blower
Storage: 1 X Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVMe, 1 X Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SATAIII SSD (This 1TB is 3 years old and still going strong, used it in my laptops).
Case: Silverstone Sugo Series SG13 Mini ITX Case
CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Liquid Cooler, fans: 1 X Cooler Master Silencio Performance Edition for Push, 1 X Noctua NF-A12x15 for Pull
Power Supply: Cooler Master V750 (80 Plus Gold, Fully Modular) ATX PSU
RGB: 1 X 30cm ASUS ROG Aura Sync Addressable RGB strip

Monitor: Acer Predator X34P Curved Ultrawide 120Hz IPS Gaming Monitor
Keyboard: Logitech G512 Carbon with Romer G Linear Switches
Mouse: Logitech G703 Wireless + Logitech Powerplay w Logitech Soft Pad
Speakers: Logitech G560 Lightsync Speakers

Before I continue, yes, I hope the community respects that I am a Brony (a male fan of My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic) and you will see ponies, in this build log. Heheh.

And so, the journey begins (Refer to spoilers and pictures below).

Pictures

Day 1:

Spoiler

Early in the morning, I was cleaning up my messy table. I also removed the glass panel to clean it; reminded me so much about Linus's Desk PC Maintenance VLOG and I almost broke the glass!!
IMG_3388.JPG.7d7a65c6ef8e1fb857d7ebff4c382ad3.JPG

Went to the famous Sim Lim Square in Singapore to get my gear, and headed to the shop: Bizgram Asia Pte Ltd, the place and shop where Linus bought a UNIFI AP PRO on his 2015 Pimp My Wifi Video when he was staying in Singapore. Video >> 

IMG_3306.thumb.jpg.488d50a42f52bb98c84260e330bd562f.jpg

After that, Bizgram allowed me to build the system there, but, it wasn't without flaws. Took me a good 4-5 hours and by then attempting to cram these high end hardware in that tiny little shoe box. The shop was closing, so I had to head home to continue.
Nonetheless.... I managed to fit it all in, but, its not perfect. I at first, thought of using a 120mm X 38mm fan I pulled from an old Dell, while it did work, it was really noisy under load. I also didn't have a monitor then, so I temporarily used the 1080p TV in my home's VR Room to tweak the system before the entire setup was completely ready. 

Testing the system for post. And my little white dog was sitting next to it, keeping it company!
IMG_3309.thumb.JPG.240b733066013805d447f60ad02a89df.JPG

lookin good so far!
IMG_3307.thumb.jpg.b3e258351a0210ddf7a6faf9b61ceb56.jpg

And, the GPU looks fine, but its pretty warm. Hitting the temp limit of 84C on the stock fan profile and voltage.

IMG_3311.thumb.jpg.38f63060937d2fdf59bb7d8122052081.jpg

It was getting late. It was 4am, so time to hit the hay...

Day 2

Spoiler

Being a bit worried about the GPU running that hot, though its sort of "normal" since the Zotac 1080 Ti Blower is like the Founders Edition OEM; blower cards normally run hotter than aftermarket, but I had to use a blower card as open air cards aren't recommended in compact cases. So I spoke to a friend who happens to work as an Nvidia Engineer in the US, asking if its fine. He told me yes, as long as its not being at that temperature for extended periods of time. I also asked about the VRM cooling and he also told me that, VRMs on a GPU are built to tolerate higher temps than the Nvidia Chip itself, especially with Pascal GP102 Cards.

Day 2, doing some undervolting and tweaking and after crashing the system like 15 times or more? I managed to get the 1080 Ti to hold a couple of degrees lower and maintain the GPU Boost clock, unlike the stock config, when the GPU boost was throttling due to the heat and wasted power. And look at that! A near 15 FPS gain and a slightly cooler card!
IMG_3325.thumb.jpg.aa4737bf216d8e7e8433889dff995aac.jpg

Opening up the shoe box to do some cable management and swapping the fan from the 120mm X 38mm to the Silencio 120mm x 25mm. The performance was shocking. With no temp difference, the system was so much more quieter. Will recommend the Cooler Master Silencio Performance Edition fans to anyone building a silent system.

IMG_3316.thumb.jpg.4c9448a88777b6b15f61fad1ddefc989.jpg

And welcome to your new home!

IMG_3318.thumb.jpg.dcdb37792b70ffe18faf1ca7c57e1ce0.jpg

Oh and just a silly off topic photo. It was a family day the next day, so decided to take a break from building and went with my dad to eat some Prawn Mee, one the most famous local dishes here in Singapore. And you know, Singapore is famous for the delicious local delights! :D

IMG_3319.thumb.jpg.53382d49c5126c4c420d7810fff5bcc1.jpg

Day 3

Spoiler

On Day 3, it was the eve of Singapore's National Day. And, there was a big promotion on the rest of the items I needed to complete the setup. So, I went to Bugis Junction/Bugis + Singapore, to GameProShop to buy the Logitech gear and to Challenger Singapore to get the Monstrous Acer Predator X34P. After seeing the size of that box, I had to get a cab back.. But oh well, they all made it home, safe and sound! Also, managed to get the Noctua NF-A12x15 as well.
IMG_3389.thumb.jpg.908f7c1e423f6ddf25ef36e1528aaf7b.jpg

Setting it up and it is massive... and terrifying, but at the same time, awesome.

IMG_3332.thumb.jpg.cfd8c0ee33dde78a944e24cbb1340f0a.jpg

And, at the end of Day 3, everything is fitted, but I am not done yet! Still need to finalize the system! Nonetheless, I sat a moment, to gaze at the RGB glory...

IMG_3333.thumb.jpg.0f45355d5515d5f396598b6c69d1fe20.jpg

Day 4 (Completed)

Spoiler

Its time to tidy up and finish the build! But first, I thought the box looked boring so... U guessed it, its time for MORE RGB! And look at that, the Zotac 1080Ti looks beautiful after adding the Strip.

And its true... When Linus says RGB is truly seen in modern gaming and you can't get rid of it..
Its... Beautiful...

IMG_3387.thumb.jpg.1de7226045df9141f61532fc5d4dd2df.jpg

The build is complete!

Edited by SapphireJasper
Change to completed - Build finished

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/08/2018 at 8:24 AM, Tech_Dreamer said:

i like it. nice job man.

Hey thanks!

so been a while since I posted. Was busy finishing my polytechnic degree. 

The build is *almost done*, but you know, I need more RGB! So I am currently doing a RGB plan for the table

Also, due to workstation purposes, I will be changing the CPU to the new i9-9900k. 

And, I also have a HTC Vive to connect to it. But the VR Room is outside my room. So still some planning to be done