Cup of water cooling?

Hello, so I recently put in a new CPU into this very old Dell Dimension 4500, however, the current heatsink and fan cannot properly cool the CPU, and it has thermal throttling alot. I am wondering if I could possibly just, quite literally, put some ice water into a small container and put that ontop of the CPU? (Fan is next to the heatsink, so the fan would essentially cool the container of water) Would that possibly cool it? (With small loads obviously)

nope nope nope. Don't do that. If any water spills, you will have serious problems and you probably don't have a cup with good thermal conductivity, And you would need convection to move the air around in the cup .... Bad idea

Did you reapply the thermal paste, if not, that is most likely your problem ...

do NOT do this. If you need just buy a new cooler like a 212 evo (Idk what socket you need though.)

i5-8600k, MSI Z370-A Pro, 2x 8GB DDR4-3k, MSI Gaming X 1060, NZXT S340, 2TB HDD, 750w Corsair PSU, AOC 2775 OC'd to 80Hz and CFG73 at 144hz

Comic sans is the worst font

Check out my monitor overclocking guide

5 minutes ago, adm0n said:

nope nope nope. Don't do that. If any water spills, you will have serious problems and you probably don't have a cup with good thermal conductivity, And you would need convection to move the air around in the cup .... Bad idea

Did you reapply the thermal paste, if not, that is most likely your problem ...

Just now, lavablade02 said:

do NOT do this. If you need just buy a new cooler like a 212 evo (Idk what socket you need though.)

Alright Alright, I definitely wont do it, I guess getting a new cooler would probably be best.

2 minutes ago, bobbyd52 said:

Alright Alright, I definitely wont do it, I guess getting a new cooler would probably be best.

for the price of a new cooler, you could literally get something that performs orders of magnitude faster ._. like a raspberry pi

2 minutes ago, adm0n said:

for the price of a new cooler, you could literally get something that performs orders of magnitude faster ._. like a raspberry pi

Just looked up the tower, youre right lol

i5-8600k, MSI Z370-A Pro, 2x 8GB DDR4-3k, MSI Gaming X 1060, NZXT S340, 2TB HDD, 750w Corsair PSU, AOC 2775 OC'd to 80Hz and CFG73 at 144hz

Comic sans is the worst font

Check out my monitor overclocking guide

10 minutes ago, adm0n said:

Yes, I will most likely be doing a new build, and the main reason I even upgraded this old PC, was because I am going to give it to someone, and am just trying to make it the most 'modern' I can, before I give it away. (I would obviously have never given someone this PC with a cup of water for cooling it, just wanted to check and see, in the case I just kept it)

Also if anyones wondering what upgrades have been done:

• Pentium 4 3.06 GHz with HT (This is the overheating CPU, most likely going back to the older, 2 GHz one that dident overheat)
  • GeForce FX 5200 GPU
  • 2GB RAM (Upgraded from the PCs previous 256MB of ram)
  • Ethernet PCI Card
  • 5 Port USB 2.0 PCI card (Since it only had 4 at the start, and 3 were taken up by keyboard, mouse, wifi adapter)

Hmmm okay maybe it is on par with a raspberry. I still think the raspberry takes the cake ._. I don't really know who would want to use a machine like that...(Unless you have software that doesn't run on newer hardware anymore)

36 minutes ago, bobbyd52 said:

Hello, so I recently put in a new CPU into this very old Dell Dimension 4500, however, the current heatsink and fan cannot properly cool the CPU, and it has thermal throttling alot. I am wondering if I could possibly just, quite literally, put some ice water into a small container and put that ontop of the CPU? (Fan is next to the heatsink, so the fan would essentially cool the container of water) Would that possibly cool it? (With small loads obviously)

I would highly recommend that you do not do this as it is associated with many risks which most end with hardware damage. A regular cup is an insulator and not a conductor so it would not be very effective at all in cooling the processor and could do a worse job than your current cooler not to mention would cause condensation possibly or if spilled could cause serious damage which can cause your system to not post any longer or boot to the OS. If you want to have your system cooled by water or a liquid an AIO or custom loop (depending on your budget would work). I would recommend the Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite 120 or the 240-millimeter version depending on what would work with your system. I am not sure if your system can support a water cooler radiator so I would definitely check your case to ensure compatibility. If there is not then you might have to make a custom loop or get an air cooler.

38 minutes ago, lavablade02 said:

If you need just buy a new cooler like a 212 evo (Idk what socket you need though.)

Now that I researched this specific computer I do not think that the MatsterLiquid Lite 120 or 240 would be compatible out of the box although I did find one that is an air cooler that would work with this computer and is only around 9 dollars on Newegg which would be able to justify not switching to a raspberry pi computer (less upgradability and it costs around 3 times more than the cooler would).

Link to a compatible air cooler for your specific computer:   https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAE306417697&cm_re=socket_478_cpu_cooler-_-13C-000X-00010-_-Product

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

15 minutes ago, Boomwebsearch said:

Now that I researched this specific computer I do not think that the MatsterLiquid Lite 120 or 240 would be compatible out of the box although I did find one that is an air cooler that would work with this computer and is only around 9 dollars on Newegg which would be able to justify not switching to a raspberry pi computer (less upgradability and it costs around 3 times more than the cooler would).

Thanks for the info! I will definitely look into getting this cooler.

It's not really a cooling solution but I'd love to see this xD 

That's an F in the profile pic