System Admin Tips

tomsim498

I have just come out of college and will be starting a job next month as a System Admin.

My question is -  is there any useful software or any need to know bits i should learn before i start just so i can prepare myself?

The company has a Window's network. I am partly familiar with active directory and bits like that.  Is there a check list out there that all  System Admins follow?

Biggest bit of advice I can give is, think outside the box and question everything. Ask why it's done like that, implemented like that, etc. Don't be afraid to fail and don't hesitate to ask questions* and if you see something that interests you ask someone if you can shadow them or something to learn more about it. Google is your friend.

*Google and search first, don't just ask the first thing that comes to your mind without trying to find out on your own. Put some effort into it yourself and then ask and say "I've done X, Y, Z, and I'm still having trouble with A"

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

3 minutes ago, Lurick said:

question everything. Ask why it's done like that, implemented like that, etc.

This is especially important if the admin before you was fired for incompetence.

20 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Biggest bit of advice I can give is, think outside the box and question everything. Ask why it's done like that, implemented like that, etc. Don't be afraid to fail and don't hesitate to ask questions* and if you see something that interests you ask someone if you can shadow them or something to learn more about it. Google is your friend.

*Google and search first, don't just ask the first thing that comes to your mind without trying to find out on your own. Put some effort into it yourself and then ask and say "I've done X, Y, Z, and I'm still having trouble with A"

Yeah i am hoping for someone who knows alot. But i want to be prepared for the worsed and if no was has a knowlage. As far as i know its a new company and I will be a junior Systems admin.

Never assume the previous admin did anything correctly/efficiently (there's a reason that position is open)

Whenever someone brings you something that's broken always tear it down all the way first and then rebuild it, that will often fix it or at least you will find the problem

Make backups, then back up your backups (RAID IS NOT A BACKUP)

Remember, you're the experienced one here. If the nontechnical management types want you to do something that's obviously dumb don't take their shit, give a technical explanation of why you're right and most of the time they'll be scared enough of the jargon to assume you know what you're doing and let you get on with your work.

Never assume people know how to do something more complex than sending an email

Always build redundancy when possible, especially into networking systems.

Don't spend more time making it "pretty". Just bodge something together and when it breaks just bodge it again

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

36 minutes ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

Never assume the previous admin did anything correctly/efficiently (there's a reason that position is open)

Whenever someone brings you something that's broken always tear it down all the way first and then rebuild it, that will often fix it or at least you will find the problem

Make backups, then back up your backups (RAID IS NOT A BACKUP)

Remember, you're the experienced one here. If the nontechnical management types want you to do something that's obviously dumb don't take their shit, give a technical explanation of why you're right and most of the time they'll be scared enough of the jargon to assume you know what you're doing and let you get on with your work.

Never assume people know how to do something more complex than sending an email

Always build redundancy when possible, especially into networking systems.

Don't spend more time making it "pretty". Just bodge something together and when it breaks just bodge it again

Thanks for your comment. I'll see what happens when i get there. 

Should i learn powershell or anythings like that. 

I also dont want to get there do things for the first 2 weeks then cannot work out what to do after.

2 minutes ago, tomsim498 said:

Thanks for your comment. I'll see what happens when i get there. 

Should i learn powershell or anythings like that. 

I also dont want to get there do things for the first 2 weeks then cannot work out what to do after.

Prob not worth it to learn PS, most of your work will be fixing people's outlook or whatever

You'll never run out of things to do, people in offices manage to break a truly monumental amount of technology

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

3 minutes ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

Prob not worth it to learn PS, most of your work will be fixing people's outlook or whatever

You'll never run out of things to do, people in offices manage to break a truly monumental amount of technology

I guess so, althought i think there are a lot of software developers in the company.  They might be tech literate

Do you have a job description you could share? I've seen "system admin" be essentially desktop admins, or account admins, or a variety of things. If it's a small company you'll probably be doing everything under the sun, which is great for sharpening your troubleshooting skills.

Best thing is just use process of elimination when troubleshooting, start ruling things out to narrow down the cause. My best "business" advice is don't spend too much time figuring the issue out, if there's a quick solution do it then figure it out later. I.E. - a customer's desktop isn't booting, screw it - swap the desktop out and set them up. Take the old desktop back to your desk, figure out what the issue is or was. Set a time limit for yourself when helping users. Being somebody who loves troubleshooting, that was my personal shortcoming - getting caught up in fixing the issue.

If you're a junior level, learn every daily task possible and take it over. New accounts / backup rotations / account deletes / whatever day to day stuff you can.

28 minutes ago, Mikensan said:

Do you have a job description you could share? I've seen "system admin" be essentially desktop admins, or account admins, or a variety of things. If it's a small company you'll probably be doing everything under the sun, which is great for sharpening your troubleshooting skills.

Best thing is just use process of elimination when troubleshooting, start ruling things out to narrow down the cause. My best "business" advice is don't spend too much time figuring the issue out, if there's a quick solution do it then figure it out later. I.E. - a customer's desktop isn't booting, screw it - swap the desktop out and set them up. Take the old desktop back to your desk, figure out what the issue is or was. Set a time limit for yourself when helping users. Being somebody who loves troubleshooting, that was my personal shortcoming - getting caught up in fixing the issue.

If you're a junior level, learn every daily task possible and take it over. New accounts / backup rotations / account deletes / whatever day to day stuff you can.

Yeah the job description is:

This is an exciting opportunity to join the IT team. Primarily office based this role will include installing, testing and supporting IT equipment and software. The successful candidate will be working on supporting the internal company infrastructure as well as provisioning equipment and software for new external installations.

As a motivated, enthusiastic self-starter the successful applicant will relish the opportunity to experience cutting edge technologies and systems, whilst being hands-on installing and testing hardware and software.

Excellent IT skills are a key part of the role and the successful candidate will be working with Windows based software both on clients and servers. However, other than a good working knowledge of the operating systems no specific programming knowledge or qualifications are required. Away from the technical side, the key skills required are a proactive and conscientious attitude with a keen attention to detail.

1 hour ago, tomsim498 said:

Yeah the job description is:

I get the feeling this is geared more towards the end users / desktops, which is fine - more so if they pay you that sys-admin pay lol.