Making disk raid array as fast as SSDs

I'm looking for some combination of disks and raid controler/s to build a redundant, but reliable home/small home business storage. Not backup, that will be elsewhere.

Basically, what are the ways I can use Raid and hard drives to achieve 500mbps read and write, essentially performance similar to a good SSD.

I have no experience with raid. Budget is important, but I would rather see all my options price is not a big concern.

Most importantly outside from reliability is expandability. I only need 2-4tb right now but expect to need significantly more in the future.

So what are my options, and what kind of drives, other hardware do I need to make this happen?

Thank you all for the help!

Computers r fun

I'm rather sure you'd need tons of mech drives to semi get close to 500mbps

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

Just now, Br3tt96 said:

I'm rather sure you'd need tons of mech drives to semi get close to 500mbps

Are you sure? Most 7200rpm hard disks i've used get around 100?

Computers r fun

You could make a f**king huge RAID 10

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

1 minute ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

You could make a f**king huge RAID 10

Thats what I was thinking, if one drive is 100mbps, would I want 10 drives in raid 10?

Computers r fun

The fastest I've seen a single hard drive perform is my 6TB Seagate Barracuda that topped out at 200MB/sec. A review of a 12TB hard drive I found got up to 260MB/sec while maintaining 200MB/sec on average in benchmarks.

However here's the thing: even if you combine these, they'll still be slower than an SSD. The seek times of hard drives are still orders of magnitude slower than SSDs and no amount of RAIDing is going to fix that.

Just now, TheNuzziNuzz said:

Thats what I was thinking, if one drive is 100mbps, would I want 10 drives in raid 10?

How many drives should you have? How many can you afford? That's how many. But 10 at least, yeah

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

She/they 

11 minutes ago, TheNuzziNuzz said:

I'm looking for some combination of disks and raid controler/s to build a redundant, but reliable home/small home business storage. Not backup, that will be elsewhere.

Basically, what are the ways I can use Raid and hard drives to achieve 500mbps read and write, essentially performance similar to a good SSD.

I have no experience with raid. Budget is important, but I would rather see all my options price is not a big concern.

Most importantly outside from reliability is expandability. I only need 2-4tb right now but expect to need significantly more in the future.

So what are my options, and what kind of drives, other hardware do I need to make this happen?

I've seen some 7200RPM HDDs get upwards of 200MB/s.

If you want it to be reliable, you're going to wanty RAID 10. Although this has high costs equipment wise.

3x1TB WD Blues in RAID 0 seems to have similar performance to an SSD. You'd likely want to throw a 4th in there for the extra speed boost. Though that'd also need you'd need 4 more for RAID 10, so you're looking at 8 drives, roughly $50 USD each (after tax), so that'd be $400. For that much, you could just get a 2TB SSD and call it at that. You also wouldn't need a RAID controller or a case capable of holding 8 drives either.

Not to mention the hard drives will never be quite as fast as SSDs due to how they operate. (latencies will always be higher.)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

1 minute ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

How many drives should you have? How many can you afford? That's how many. But 10 at least, yeah

As many as I need

Computers r fun

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

The fastest I've seen a single hard drive perform is my 6TB Seagate Barracuda that topped out at 200MB/sec. A review of a 12TB hard drive I found got up to 260MB/sec while maintaining 200MB/sec on average in benchmarks.

However here's the thing: even if you combine these, they'll still be slower than an SSD. The seek times of hard drives are still orders of magnitude slower than SSDs and no amount of RAIDing is going to fix that.

Yes I understand that, I want ssd like performance, I understand its not the same as having SSDs. I would also have an SSD cache

Computers r fun

7 hours ago, TheNuzziNuzz said:

Problem is what makes a hdd is isn't that 500mB/s its the random io and there is no way a hdd is going to get near that.

If you want a raid array, Id probably just setup software raid array in your os of choice. 

Whats you budget? For that small of storage, id personally just get a ssd, but you can also get about 6hdds

1 minute ago, TheNuzziNuzz said:

As many as I need

Well then however many your server can fit

She/they 

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Problem is what makes a hdd is isn't that 500mB/s its the random io and there is no way a hdd is going to get near that.

If you want a raid array, Id probably just setup software raid array in your os of choice. 

Whats you budget? For that small of storage, id personally just get a ssd, but you can also get about 6hdds

Its mainly going to store large media files so sequential is really all I care about for this specific array of drives. I want the cheapness of hard disks because I need more storage but I don't want to sacrifice speed compared to an SSD. In addition to this array I will havea smaller SSD setup.

Computers r fun

If raid 0 is an option wouldn't they degrade like crazy?

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

Yes I understand that, I want ssd like performance, I understand its not the same as having SSDs. I would also have an SSD cache

Alright. Assuming your workload is mostly reads, I would recommend at the bare minimum a RAID5 setup with three disks known to approach 180MB/sec or so (If you need a starting point: https://www.storagereview.com/reviews/consumer/hdd)

Its mainly going to store large media files so sequential is really all I care about for this specific array of drives. I want the cheapness of hard disks because I need more storage but I don't want to sacrifice speed compared to an SSD. In addition to this array I will havea smaller SSD setup.

What OS?

If you want thses on your desktop, just add like 4 hdds, then make them a array in storage spaces in windows. That also lets you have a ssd tier, so add a few ssds. 

You cant get ssd speeds at hdd prices, but this is about as close as you will get. 

What OS?

If you want thses on your desktop, just add like 4 hdds, then make them a array in storage spaces in windows. That also lets you have a ssd tier, so add a few ssds. 

You cant get ssd speeds at hdd prices, but this is about as close as you will get. 

I have a windows server. At the moment my plan is to put 4 180mbps HDDs in software raid 10, share it as network drive.

Computers r fun

I have a windows server. At the moment my plan is to put 4 180mbps HDDs in software raid 10, share it as network drive.

What version?

Use storage spaces for that it will work fine. Add a ssd if you want. Make sure to set columns right.

Also what is your network speed? 

What version?

Use storage spaces for that it will work fine. Add a ssd if you want. Make sure to set columns right.

Also what is your network speed? 

I have Cat5e throughout my house, I have a 10gig switch and network cards.

Computers r fun

Really not all that difficult.

I have 6 slow old 1TB drives in Raid 5 and it saturates a gigabit connection

Edit: JK, 100MB/s is already Gigabit

1 minute ago, potoooooooo said:

Really not all that difficult.

I have 6 slow old 1TB drives in Raid 5 and it saturates a gigabit connection

Gigabit is only 125mbps, I am looking for 500

Computers r fun

Gigabit is only 125mbps, I am looking for 500

I realized that as soon as i hit submit.

Still it's not at all difficult. If you're using 100MB/s as a baseline per drive, Then a 7 drive RAID 6 or 6 Drive RAID 5 should be able to do it pretty easily

Just now, potoooooooo said:

I realized that as soon as i hit submit.

Still it's not at all difficult. If you're using 100MB/s as a baseline per drive, Then a 7 drive RAID 6 or 6 Drive RAID 5 should be able to do it pretty easily

I am planning to do a raid 10

Computers r fun

3 minutes ago, TheNuzziNuzz said:

I am planning to do a raid 10

If you want expandability, that's not the way to do it. Raid 5/6 is more economical as well.

Just now, potoooooooo said:

If you want expandability, that's not the way to do it. Raid 5/6 is more economical as well.

Okay. How will that effect reliability?

Computers r fun