Help with adding a 2nd SSD

Thronar

I'm looking at adding a 2nd ssd to my current system (Samsung 840BW EVO 250G) purely for games and I wanted to know if I'll need to do anything in the bios after I install it or not

also is it worth having both ssds and my hhd (wd wd20earx 2tb sata3 hdd, sanforce 120gb sf-2281 sata3) plugged into the sata3 6gb ports on my asus p8z68 v pro gen3

The sanforce will be runnign windows 7 btw

I'm looking at adding a 2nd ssd to my current system (Samsung 840BW EVO 250G) purely for games and I wanted to know if I'll need to do anything in the bios after I install it or not

also is it worth having both ssds and my hhd (wd wd20earx 2tb sata3 hdd, sanforce 120gb sf-2281 sata3) plugged into the sata 6 ports on my asus p8z68 v pro gen3

The sanforce will be runnign windows 7 btw

If you're not raiding the two SSDs then you don't have to touch anything in your bios.

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

As long as you're not putting them in RAID, you should be fine. And if you have enough Sata3 ports, then go ahead and plug them all into there, that way the port won't be bottlenecking the speed at all. 

I wont be raiding them and I have 4 sata 3 and 4 sata 6 ports

You need to quote a post or tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to them.

Just use it as you would any other hard drive--just don't defrag it.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

You need to quote a post or tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to them.

Just use it as you would any other hard drive--just don't defrag it.

ah ok, also why shouldnt I defrag it (I've defraged my sanfroce ssd in the past so yeah =/)

I wont be raiding them and I have 4 sata 3 and 4 sata 6 ports

I'm assuming by Sata6 you mean Sata3 - 6GBs. Yeah, you may as well plug all of them in. You're unlikely to gain any performance on the HDD, but it takes away the possibility of the port limiting it. 

ah ok, also why shouldnt I defrag it (I've defraged my sanfroce ssd in the past so yeah =/)

Defragging doesn't benefit the ssd and just uses up the limited write cycles. You're just killing it faster by doing so.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Just plug them in.

Personal Rig

i7 4790K | Asus Z97I-WiFi | CM 280L | Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X | Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 8GB | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro | 2TB Seagate SSHD | Seasonic Platinium 660W | Bitfenix Prodigy

From what I know, the way SSDs store data and the way Windows reads where the data is kept are different, so Windows can think that the data is in location <x> when really it's in location <y>, so it can mess up how things are stored. 

I could be wrong, maybe @WoodenMarker knows more.

Defragging doesn't benefit the ssd and just uses up the limited write cycles. You're just killing it faster by doing so.

ok thanks

If I have any problems I'll post back tomorrow when I get it

From what I know, the way SSDs store data and the way Windows reads where the data is kept are different, so Windows can think that the data is in location <x> when really it's in location <y>, so it can mess up how things are stored. 

^ Basically, due to bad allocation of data, hdd's can get slow over time and defragging helps to fix this.

Ssd's don't have this problem and defragging just uses up write cycles.

As others have already mentioned, if you are just adding the Samsung 840 EVO SSD into your system for storage, then you don't have to mess with anything.
To get the maximum speed possible out of your SSD's, have them on the SATA 3 (6Gb/s) ports - especially the 840 EVO.
Normal mechanical HDD's can't even fully saturate SATA 2 (3Gb/s), so there is no point putting it on a SATA 3 port. SATA 2 is fine.

By the way, what SandForce SF-2281 SSD are you using exactly?? The "SandForce SF-2281" is the controller within the SSD, and not the actual SSD itself.

The Kingston HyperX, OCZ Vertex 3, and Mushkin Chronos (just to name a few) uses the SandForce SF-2281 Controller.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>