Virtualization performance AMD vs Intel

Hey all,

So for the longest time I've wanted to make Linux my daily driver but as video editing and gaming are part of my daily activities I've been forced to stick with Windows(Also I really prefer Office 365 over the open source alternatives). Virtualization with direct-io has been something on my radar but because the 4770K had vt-d disabled it was something I couldn't do. Thanks to a new job however I will be able to get a massive systems upgrade in a few months and looking for some advice. While this would perhaps better fit in the CPU section, I feel this is enough of a niche that the people here can probably give more advice based on experience.

For my new system I'm looking at getting either a HEDT AMD or Intel setup. Money isn't a real concern but I do prefer spending as little as possible so I've found the sweetspots to be either the Threadripper 2970 WX (24c/48t) and the Intel i9-7980XE(18c/36t) where I prefer the AMD. I'd likely dedicate 8 cores and 16 threads to Linux Mint with the remaining 16 cores and 32 threads committed to a Windows vm for gaming, Adobe and Office in case of the AMD. 4c8t for Linux and 14c28t for Windows in case of intel. For the GPU part I'm getting whatever is the highest end GPU Nvidia is supposed to release in a few weeks.

AMD obviously is my preferrence, I like the higher core count at a lower price and in general want to go with them, there is one thing holding me back though and that is where my question comes in. Back when the original Ryzen was released hardware passthrough seemed to not really work well, especially compared to vt-d. Has this since been fixed? If I'd have a real performance hit on the GPU when going AMD I sadly will have to settle for Intel so I hope you guys know more. :)

Thanks for any help.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

8 minutes ago, Centurius said:

I'd likely dedicate 8 cores and 16 threads to Linux Mint with the remaining 16 cores and 32 threads committed to a Windows vm for gaming

You can share cores, so Id just give both access to all the cores so both can use the full performance

Passthough has gotten much better on threadripper, Id wait for reviews on threadripper 2 though. Check reviews on video editing aswell, intel may be fast in your program of choice.

TR2 will be the better choice compared to current and future intel Offerings. Both in terms of performance and price

Def. TR2!

In terms of price, performance (more cores is what you need) and upgrade path

oh and efficiency is better on TR2 to

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

23 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

You can share cores, so Id just give both access to all the cores so both can use the full performance

Passthough has gotten much better on threadripper, Id wait for reviews on threadripper 2 though. Check reviews on video editing aswell, intel may be fast in your program of choice.

You're right, hadn't even though of that :) I guess then the earlier mentioned divide is what I envision if both systems were maxing out. Good to hear passthrough has been getting better, how large would you say the fps hit in percentages is right now in gpu-dependent game? My workflow primarily uses Premiere Pro, After Effects and Photoshop. From what I've seen TR is about even compared to the next up Intel offering so I imagine the same counts for TR2, if they haven't closed the gap even further.

23 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

TR2 will be the better choice compared to current and future intel Offerings. Both in terms of performance and price

22 hours ago, Metallus97 said:

Def. TR2!

In terms of price, performance (more cores is what you need) and upgrade path

oh and efficiency is better on TR2 to

Thanks, yeah that's what I figured. I was just worried about an overhead hit on the GPU passthrough :) 

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

12 minutes ago, Centurius said:

Good to hear passthrough has been getting better, how large would you say the fps hit in percentages is right now in gpu-dependent game?

Normally performance hit is around 5% or less if you giving it all the resources.

12 minutes ago, Centurius said:

My workflow primarily uses Premiere Pro, After Effects and Photoshop.

Those often will be a good amount faster on intel due to higher single threaded performance and the lower latency, check puget reviews.

Wait for some tests to come out (Level1tech usually test this).

Threadripper was a shit-show for virtualization for the longest time. Not sure if it is fixed completly yet either.

Virtualization on x299 is more or less plug and play, though now that theres meltdown and spectre to think about... again wait for tests.

if (c->x86_vendor != X86_VENDOR_AMD)

setup_force_cpu_bug(X86_BUG_CPU_INSECURE);