Larger battery in laptop

umi042

Hi, 

I was wondering if it's possible to put a larger battery into a laptop by printing a new chassis part which make the laptop a bit thicker.

What are the important things to watch out ? 

which laptop?

depending on the model extended batteries may be available already.

and for a lot of modern laptops the packs are so customized it's not feasible either way.

22 minutes ago, manikyath said:

which laptop?

depending on the model extended batteries may be available already.

and for a lot of modern laptops the packs are so customized it's not feasible either way.

Agreed. There are extended battery packs for a lot of laptops already, trying to custom make your own, unless you are an EE, is asking for a fried laptop

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Thank you guys for your replies ! My laptop is a Samsung NP530U3B but I'm thinking to buy a new one.

I was thinking in general way, if there is a Hack to boost battery in order to have a 24hours battery :D

11 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Agreed. There are extended battery packs for a lot of laptops already, trying to custom make your own, unless you are an EE, is asking for a fried laptop

putting together a bigger pack isnt rocket science, but if you're going to have to source cells of the right size to fit in very specific constraints, trying to outdo a mass production pack.. you'll end up spending a stupid amount of time and money, and potentially also risk not even getting a very exceptional boost in battery life.

Ultrabooks and expensive laptops don't use the popular 18650 Li-ion cell which makes it almost impossible to DIY anything.

I looked up and found the specsheet of your laptop and it's a is 2S2P Lipo battery (Product ID: AA-PBYN4AB)
Link:(https://www.amazon.com/AA-PBYN4AB-Notebook-UltraBook-NP530U3C-AA-PLWN4AB/dp/B016W316SS)

I have seen the battery it seems the balancing and monitoring circuit is on the motherboard and it doesn't contain any NTC(temperature sensor)?
That's weird.

Well in that case, you can make room and install replacement 2S cell and watch out for.................... ahhh ha ha I'm just kidding, don't do anything stupid. Lipos can be very dangerous especially without any monitoring and balancing circuit things can go KABOOM! very easily

TLDR:
Is it possible?
Yes!
Should you do it?
No.

How about just carrying a fully charged UPS with you and your laptop?  ;)

12 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

How about just carrying a fully charged UPS with you and your laptop?  ;)

Yeah, I just have a APC SmartUPS 2200 in my bag. Fits nicely and I have enough power for days. :P

41SPY9DEWTL._SY450_.jpg