Running xp on a dual core ddr system

Hey guys, I have a basic am3 board old e machine and 2  one tb drives and here is the kicker, I am running a amd hd 4650 512 mb video card, now with this being said, EL1352 is the board and I want to add a good graphics card that will not bottleneck and I do have a and althlon 2 dual core 225 running 3.1 gbz (I want to go to a quad or more) and 4gb ddr3 ram.

I would like to know the options I have.

If it's an eMachines board, chances are high that the best you're going to get out of it is probably an Athlon II X4 of some sort.

As for cards, you can pretty much go all the way up to AMD's GCN1 cards (the 7xxx series) or Nvidia's 700-series.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

I would add one of the quad or hexa core Athlon IIs and pair it with a GT 1030 or maybe a used 260x. The system is so old that it might be more economical to just start from scratch and buy a cheap used prebuilt with a i5 2400 or something and add a 1030.

EDIT: Not sure if a 1030 will work or not. I have had issues with booting a RX 460 in a non-UEFI machine so I'm not sure exactly how that extends to nvidea cards and/or your board.

Main PC: i5 4590 @ 3.5 GHz ♦ RX 480 Armor OC ♦ 16 GB DDR3 ♦ GA-Z97-HD3 ♦ 120 GB 840 EVO ♦ 120 GB Intel 520 ♦ W10 Home

Scrapyard PC: Xeon X5460 @ 3.8 GHz ♦ HD 7870 ♦ 8 GB DDR2 ♦ GA-P35-DS3L ♦ 80 GB Intel 320 ♦ 160 GB WD Caviar SE ♦ W10 Home

If you're stuck with Windows XP, the best graphics card you can put it in period is either the GeForce 700 series (including the first generation Titan cards) or AMD's Rx 300 series cards (including R9 Fury). NVIDIA and AMD stopped supporting the OS after that generation.

However if you're not planning on replacing the processor, I recommend nothing more powerful than a GeForce 460 or a Radeon HD 5770. If you are going to upgrade the processor to say a Phenom II, then you're looking at something like a GeForce 580/670/750 Ti or Radeon HD 6970/7770 at best.

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

If you're stuck with Windows XP, the best graphics card you can put it in period is either the GeForce 700 series (including the first generation Titan cards) or AMD's Rx 300 series cards (including R9 Fury). NVIDIA and AMD stopped supporting the OS after that generation.

However if you're not planning on replacing the processor, I recommend nothing more powerful than a GeForce 460 or a Radeon HD 5770. If you are going to upgrade the processor to say a Phenom II, then you're looking at something like a GeForce 580/670/750 Ti or Radeon HD 6970/7770 at best.

Damn, AMD made drivers for the 300-series for XP?

4 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

https://support.amd.com/en-us/download/windows-legacy

They sure did :D

EDIT: At least that's what it looks like. I clicked on one of the links and it doesn't seem to take you to any page where you could actually download them :/

5 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Hahaha I'm just as surprised as you.

Damn, the OG legacy support...

@RICCOM The best you could use would be like the Athlon II X4 640 -- that is, if the motherboard BIOS can support.

A 6-core of that era would be the Phenom II X6 ... not going to happen.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

https://support.amd.com/en-us/download/windows-legacy

They sure did :D

EDIT: At least that's what it looks like. I clicked on one of the links and it doesn't seem to take you to any page where you could actually download them :/

My money's on we're digging hard to find the drivers for them. I remember having to do something like that for my 7850 on Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs.

Well I am using xp and 7 guys so it is flexible I was just using xp cause of the low resources for the system, for basically game on, but once I get my ram up to 8 (seen this done before) and go the quad route, yeah going back to 7.