Need help picking a new gaming headset

Maxie94

Hello everyone. I'm in the search for a new gaming headset since my current one is getting deteriorated and uncomfortable. So far my top choices are:

Corsair HS50

Corsair HS60

Razer Kraken 7.1 V2

Razer Kraken Pro V2

As for the Kraken 7.1 V2, I've heard people that says the noise of the usb cable brushing or dragging against clothes/body is picked by the headset and you hear that noise, amplified. I'd like to know if that's always the case. Also if you have a recommendation for a gaming headset I'd like to hear it too.

I intend to use the headset for, well, gaming, chatting, and maybe someday, streaming.

Does it have to be a headset? Also, what is important to you?(A good microphone, etc.)

Make sure to tag and/or quote people so they get notified... :P:D 

My gear:

Ryzen 7 2700X / Gigabyte GA-X370M-Gaming 3 / R9 380 Nitro 4GB/ 16GB DDR4 2133 / 225GB OCZ Trion 100 / 3TB of hard drive storage
                                                                                                     AOC C24G1 / BenQ GW2270H(rarely overclocked to 87Hz :P )
                                                                               Razer Blackwidow / Redragon Kumara / Logitech G Pro Wiress / Sennheiser HD 559

Microsoft LifeCam Studio / Tonor BM700 microphone

Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ82 / Canon EOS 80D

#PCMasterrace

Just now, Jonas_2909 said:

Does it have to be a headset? Also, what is important to you?(A good microphone, etc.)

I'm looking for a good mic indeed, and good sound quality, the 7.1 would be a bonus, if I can get it, greay, if not, it doesn't matter. And yes, it has to be a headset.

Just now, Maxie94 said:

I'm looking for a good mic indeed, and good sound quality, the 7.1 would be a bonus, if I can get it, greay, if not, it doesn't matter. And yes, it has to be a headset.

As you may have noticed, all of the headsets I listed are less or equal than 100 bucks. That'd be my price limit.

1 minute ago, Maxie94 said:

[...] And yes, it has to be a headset.

I was just wondering, as there are modmics that you can literally put on your headphones, so what you could do is buy a decent pair of headphones that appeals to you and *mod*(bad pun 100% intended :P ) them with a modmic...

My gear:

Ryzen 7 2700X / Gigabyte GA-X370M-Gaming 3 / R9 380 Nitro 4GB/ 16GB DDR4 2133 / 225GB OCZ Trion 100 / 3TB of hard drive storage

#PCMasterrace

1 minute ago, Maxie94 said:

As you may have noticed, all of the headsets I listed are less or equal than 100 bucks. That'd be my price limit.

So I guess modmics aren't really going to happen, right? :o

My gear:

#PCMasterrace

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/explore/accessories/wireless-stereo-headset-20/

I know its designed for consoles but they're within your price range and sound really good.  I've been using them for PC gaming for a long time and had no issues.  

They're wireless but the battery lasts a long time for extended sessions.  I was sceptical at first as these were a gift but have really shown their worth.

9 minutes ago, Maxie94 said:

Forgot to mention, it has to be comfortable, especially on the headband.

2 minutes ago, AidyyJ said:

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/explore/accessories/wireless-stereo-headset-20/

I know its designed for consoles but they're within your price range and sound really good.  I've been using them for PC gaming for a long time and had no issues.  

They're wireless but the battery lasts a long time for extended sessions.  I was sceptical at first as these were a gift but have really shown their worth.

Interesting, I'll check it out, but you don't have the 7.1 when using it on PC right?

8 minutes ago, Jonas_2909 said:

So I guess modmics aren't really going to happen, right? :o

Tbh, it's the first time I hear about modmics, and if their price is greater than 100 bucks, they're not gonna happen ?

4 minutes ago, Maxie94 said:

Tbh, it's the first time I hear about modmics, and if their price is greater than 100 bucks, they're not gonna happen ?

They're not really over 100 bucks, but I guess they'd be too expensive if you want to get a headset(/combo) for 100(USD?) or less... :/ 

https://smile.amazon.com/Antlion-Audio-Attachable-Microphone-Call-Centers/dp/B075RGBFDY/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1533506145&sr=8-5&keywords=modmic&dpID=41yTkhZS2uL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

https://smile.amazon.com/Antlion-Audio-ModMic-Attachable-Microphone/dp/B00R98JVVU/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1533506145&sr=8-4&keywords=modmic&dpID=41wE1vw79PL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

My gear:

#PCMasterrace

21 minutes ago, Jonas_2909 said:

They ARE good indeed, I just checked them out, but yeah, the combo would exceed my price limit :(

49 minutes ago, AidyyJ said:

I've seen some reviews now, and the mic is just not that good, and that's a deal breaker to me. Thanks for the recommendation though :)

2 hours ago, Maxie94 said:

Hello everyone. I'm in the search for a new gaming headset since my current one is getting deteriorated and uncomfortable. So far my top choices are:

Corsair HS50

Corsair HS60

Razer Kraken 7.1 V2

Razer Kraken Pro V2

As for the Kraken 7.1 V2, I've heard people that says the noise of the usb cable brushing or dragging against clothes/body is picked by the headset and you hear that noise, amplified. I'd like to know if that's always the case. Also if you have a recommendation for a gaming headset I'd like to hear it too.

I intend to use the headset for, well, gaming, chatting, and maybe someday, streaming.

Just DO NOT waste your money on any of these "gaming" branded headphones, all the surround sound is software based and can be applied to any GOOD set of headphones.  Your paying for the name and marketing gimmicks deep down these are not quality products.  

My suggestion for you would be to get a set of STATUS Audio CB-1 + Massdrop Mini mic or Antlion Modmic.  This will destroy any gaming headset by a long shot and last much longer.  Music will be much more enjoyable, gaming will be immersive and fun and your friends will appreciate a clear voice with a quality microphone.  

Links:

Headphones Status Audio CB-1 ($63.00 USD)

https://www.amazon.com/Status-Audio-Closed-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B01BDX1IVW/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1533514405&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=status+audio

Mics:

Mod mic($50.00 USD):

https://www.amazon.com/Antlion-Audio-ModMic-Attachable-Microphone/dp/B00R98O6R4/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1533514454&sr=1-2-spons&keywords=mod+mic&psc=1

Massdrop Minimic($25.00USD)

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-mini-mic

I own the massdrop minimic and people say the fastening system its not as good as the mod mic's magnets but if you clean the area where you apply the velcro 3m pads i have had no issues even on my Senn HD6XX that are stuck to the open back grill.  You can do your own research on this one.

Cheers

2 hours ago, Drake Mallard said:

If it HAS to be a headset you can get the Sennheiser PC37X or Game Ones. Or get the Hyper X Cloud II or whichever ones that are still Takstar clones. Don't get the Corsair or Razer ones.

I'm gonna check the Sennheiser line too, thanks for the advice. I already checked the Cloud II, and I really didn't like the mic sound quality.

4 hours ago, Tz000 said:

Just DO NOT waste your money on any of these "gaming" branded headphones, all the surround sound is software based and can be applied to any GOOD set of headphones.  Your paying for the name and marketing gimmicks deep down these are not quality products.  

My suggestion for you would be to get a set of STATUS Audio CB-1 + Massdrop Mini mic or Antlion Modmic.  This will destroy any gaming headset by a long shot and last much longer.  Music will be much more enjoyable, gaming will be immersive and fun and your friends will appreciate a clear voice with a quality microphone.  

Links:

Headphones Status Audio CB-1 ($63.00 USD)

https://www.amazon.com/Status-Audio-Closed-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B01BDX1IVW/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1533514405&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=status+audio

Mics:

Mod mic($50.00 USD):

https://www.amazon.com/Antlion-Audio-ModMic-Attachable-Microphone/dp/B00R98O6R4/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1533514454&sr=1-2-spons&keywords=mod+mic&psc=1

Massdrop Minimic($25.00USD)

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-mini-mic

I own the massdrop minimic and people say the fastening system its not as good as the mod mic's magnets but if you clean the area where you apply the velcro 3m pads i have had no issues even on my Senn HD6XX that are stuck to the open back grill.  You can do your own research on this one.

Cheers

I've been checking the Sennheiser line, but as much as I'd love to get one of those, it's way too expensive for me right now. As for the headphone/mic way, I'll keep an eye on that too. The Audio CB-1 is kinda flashy for me because of the slight gold color, so I'll keep looking.

1 hour ago, Maxie94 said:

I've been checking the Sennheiser line, but as much as I'd love to get one of those, it's way too expensive for me right now. As for the headphone/mic way, I'll keep an eye on that too. The Audio CB-1 is kinda flashy for me because of the slight gold color, so I'll keep looking.

Superlux 668B with Cosmos Pads if you want to try open headphones or Superlux 681 EVO with Cosmos Pads if you prefer closed.

13 hours ago, Maxie94 said:

Corsair HS50

Corsair HS60

Razer Kraken 7.1 V2

Razer Kraken Pro V2

Don't get the Kraken's!, the HS series are way better, or even the Hyper X Cloud (II especially) are also very good for the price.Also the clamping force on the kraken pro v2 is very bad(loose, constantly sliding )! also i noticed that they have a constant his/noise very noticeable on the higher volume!

6 hours ago, Maxie94 said:

Don't be swayed by the colour of the headphones, I can tell you right now that CB-1 + mic setup I recommended will be very hard to beat in the sub $100.00 market and will blow ANY gaming headset out of the water.

Good luck with your search.

On 6/8/2018 at 8:20 AM, Tz000 said:

Don't be swayed by the colour of the headphones, I can tell you right now that CB-1 + mic setup I recommended will be very hard to beat in the sub $100.00 market and will blow ANY gaming headset out of the water.

Good luck with your search.

I know the color is just a minor detail, but I wanna buy a headphone/headset that I'm 100% convinced of. Anyway, I'll keep that one in mind in case I don't find anything that convinces me at 100%. Thank you for the recommendation.

On 6/8/2018 at 7:10 AM, greencolton44 said:

Don't get the Kraken's!, the HS series are way better, or even the Hyper X Cloud (II especially) are also very good for the price.Also the clamping force on the kraken pro v2 is very bad(loose, constantly sliding )! also i noticed that they have a constant his/noise very noticeable on the higher volume!

Maybe I'll wait for the Cloud II price to go down a bit, cuz if I go with them I'll buy a modmic as well.

On 6/8/2018 at 3:15 AM, Drake Mallard said:

Superlux 668B with Cosmos Pads if you want to try open headphones or Superlux 681 EVO with Cosmos Pads if you prefer closed.

Is the evo comfortable? Just asking cuz I saw it doesn't have almost any cushioning on the headband.

A lot of audio is subjective. However,  https://www.rtings.com/ has measured some gaming headsets, and nothing about them seemed particularly poor such that they should be avoided like the plague. I think the gaming prefix just makes people really uneasy.

I've looked at the logitech software before and thought it was pretty well designed. I have heard complaints about steelseries that the audio path is generally not 7.1, so the virtual surround sound doesn't work properly for most games.

Virtual surround sound on these gaming headsets is done by an asic on the usb dongle they come with. If you plan on getting regular headphones or an analog headset, you can still get virtual surround sound with hesuvi, free software with cpu based virtual surround sound.

7 hours ago, Maxie94 said:

Is the evo comfortable? Just asking cuz I saw it doesn't have almost any cushioning on the headband.

The band is comfortable enough it's the shitty default pads that's the problem. Hence the recommended cosmos pads.