Clockspeed Throttling

ApplesOfEpicness

Not sure if laptops are accepted here, but I have a Dell XPS 15 9570 with the i9. I’ve repasted, undervolted, and controlled vrm temps, but I can’t maintain the advertised 4.2ghz boost clock. XTU usually says it’s a current or power limit. I’ve given it max settings for everything yet it still drops to 3.9ghz. Am I doing something wrong or is the power delivery incapable of giving it that much juice?

the Dell XPS 15 9570 is a small laptop there is no way it has the cooling capability to maintain 4.2 GHZ its like complaining that the new i9 mac isnt maintaining its boost clock linus said when he was testing the mac that the dell xps has the same issue. stap a 240mm aio to your laptop and youll get a stapble 4.2GHZ overclock

Asus crosshair hero VI  Gtx 1080ti  Ryzen 1700 16gb 3200mhz trident z RGB ram custom watercooled loop

Just now, demonkoi said:

the Dell XPS 15 9570 is a small laptop there is no way it has the cooling capability to maintain 4.2 GHZ

Well I’d expect it to maintain it for more than like 3 seconds. My temps are hovering around 88 when it runs 4.2ghz. It drops to 77ish when it goes to 3.9ghz. Intel XTU says it’s not a thermal issue so I don’t get why it can’t keep it for like 10-20 seconds at least.

4 minutes ago, ApplesOfEpicness said:

Well I’d expect it to maintain it for more than like 3 seconds. My temps are hovering around 88 when it runs 4.2ghz. It drops to 77ish when it goes to 3.9ghz. Intel XTU says it’s not a thermal issue so I don’t get why it can’t keep it for like 10-20 seconds at least.

if it can reach 4,2GHZ for even a second without crashing it has the power ability to do it. bear in mind a laptop will start to decrese its clockspeed well before it hits 95-100 degrees so it can maintain temps and doesnt overheat you could probibly change the thermal throttling temps somehow but i dont know how to do that

Asus crosshair hero VI  Gtx 1080ti  Ryzen 1700 16gb 3200mhz trident z RGB ram custom watercooled loop

6 minutes ago, Majestic said:

It will never advertise 4.2 sustained boostclocks. That's what you're inferring. It will advertise a baseclock and a boostclock, but not for how long.

Well if its within certain limits than there shouldn’t be any reason that it cant’t boost that high.. right? When I say sustained 4.2ghz boost clock I’m saying that I would like to see it stay there for more than 2 seconds. 

@demonkoi

If it was a thermal related clockspeed decrease, shouldn’t Intel XTU state that it’s thermal throttling?

1 minute ago, ApplesOfEpicness said:

Well if its within certain limits than there shouldn’t be any reason that it cant’t boost that high.. right? When I say sustained 4.2ghz boost clock I’m saying that I would like to see it stay there for more than 2 seconds. 

Because it requires cooling your laptop can in no way provide.

2 minutes ago, Majestic said:

Because it requires cooling your laptop can in no way provide.

I still don’t get it. If it’s a thermal issue, shouldn’t Intel XTU say that it’s thermal throttling? It only ever says that it’s power limited which makes me believe that it’s a software limit.

3 minutes ago, ApplesOfEpicness said:

@demonkoi

If it was a thermal related clockspeed decrease, shouldn’t Intel XTU state that it’s thermal throttling?

i dont know for sure but i would think it would only state that it is thermal throtteling when it gets the 95 degrees as that is the temp that intel desktop CPU's thermal throttling

1 minute ago, ApplesOfEpicness said:

I still don’t get it. If it’s a thermal issue, shouldn’t Intel XTU say that it’s thermal throttling? It only ever says that it’s power limited which makes me believe that it’s a software limit.

No because it's only thermal throttling if it ducks below the baseclock. Anything above baseclock is considered a boostclock.

Just now, Majestic said:

No because it's only thermal throttling if it ducks below the baseclock. Anything above baseclock is considered a boostclock.

that makes sense i didnt think about that

Just now, Majestic said:

I’m inclined to believe that is false because I have an MSI GS65 and XTU tells me that I’m thermal throttling when I get to 95C and the clockspeed drops to 3.4-3.7 instead of the maximum of 3.9.

Just now, ApplesOfEpicness said:

I’m inclined to believe that is false because I have an MSI GS65 and XTU tells me that I’m thermal throttling when I get to 95C and the clockspeed drops to 3.4-3.7 instead of the maximum of 3.9.

Which CPU? XTU is also pretty slow with it's polling rate. It can be switching without it really noticing. 

1 minute ago, Majestic said:

Which CPU? XTU is also pretty slow with it's polling rate. It can be switching without it really noticing. 

he is right

4 minutes ago, Majestic said:

The GS65 is the i7-8570H if I’m not mistaken. Granted it’s not an unlocked chip but I don’t see how that makes a difference.

It is actually the i7 8750H***