Can I Get An Opinion?

So I have a first gen G15 and the space bar doesn't work and I couldn't (after trying to fix it) get it back together. I was thinking about taking the screen and mainboard to get a performance monitor (and 2 port USB hub). Do you think this would be a fun project or more trouble than its worth? All the parts work.

Typing this on my 1st gen G15 here at work...

It might be fun but the gen 1 G15s have a rather brittle cable connecting the control board to the LCD panel.  I suppose as long as you either are careful or have a replacement/repair option for that, go for it.  If you're not going to be able to use it to properly type anyway you might as well have some fun with it.

23 minutes ago, PineyCreek said:

Typing this on my 1st gen G15 here at work...

It might be fun but the gen 1 G15s have a rather brittle cable connecting the control board to the LCD panel.  I suppose as long as you either are careful or have a replacement/repair option for that, go for it.  If you're not going to be able to use it to properly type anyway you might as well have some fun with it.

I know, the backlight no longer works(maybe an RGB strip?) but the screen works fine and when I lightly tock the cable nada happens.

4 minutes ago, Mr.Br1an.1204 said:

I know, the backlight no longer works(maybe an RGB strip?) but the screen works fine and when I lightly tock the cable nada happens.

Hah...the backlight on mine bare lights up at all.  Old LEDs.  The backlights on the keys themselves occasionally flicker.  It's a mess, but it's also a bit more than 8 years old.

Just now, PineyCreek said:

Hah...the backlight on mine bare lights up at all.  Old LEDs.  The backlights on the keys themselves occasionally flicker.  It's a mess, but it's also a bit more than 8 years old.

when I first got the keyboard (for $5) half of the leds didn't work, I have an old blue led mouse (about 10+ years old) and it still works, so I don't know what kind they were using.