XMP won't stay enabled,RAM causes BSODs

Go to solution Solved by HunterAP,

I recently ran into a similar issue with my R7 2700X on an x470 board, my fix was to enable Precision Boost in the BIOS and remove any manual overclocking, then in Ryzen Master I set the Control Mode to "Auto" and then manually entered 1600 in the Memory Control section (DDR is basically 2x the speed you set, so 1600 x 2 = 3200). I rebooted and my 2700x is now auto-overclocking itself to the highest it can (at least based on the Precision Boost algorithm) and my memory successfully hits 3200MHz.

Prior to this, my memory also caused system instability and BSOD's when I manually set the memory speed to 3200MHz through either the memory speed multiplier or the XMP profile presets.

Good morning, I bought a kit of two DDR4 8GB TridentZ modules and I have issues with the stability of my PC, sometimes, I lose 1 to 4 frames in which the display freezes and sound seem to glitch, the PC was doing alright, but lately the problem has become worse, I got a “Blue Screen of Death” and it said it was the Memory. At first it was fine and I could easily obtain 3200MHz with XMP, however my PC started glitching after a week or so. I thought the BIOS was the cause, so I waited for an AGESA update and still experienced the same glitch. I searched the internet for an answer and nobody seems to have the same problem as me, I can’t afford my PC to let me down in the middle of an online game by doing a BSOD, so the one he just did, was, you guessed it... too much.

Before someone asks, here's my build...

AMD Ryzen 3 1300x

G.Skill TridentZ x2 8GB DDR4 @3200MHz

Gigabyte AB350N-Gaming-WiFi

Zotac AMP! Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB

Crucial MX300 256GB SSD

Western Digital Blue 64MB Cache, 1TB @ 7200RPM

Fractal Design Define S

4 minutes ago, Scrub_Whisperer said:

Good morning

it's actually 00:45 here but whatever :P 

on topic: what are the rest of the specs of your pc? and if it's freezing is this while doing casual stuff like watching youtube or is it while gaming? and what is ram usage like when it freezes?

She/Her

13 minutes ago, Scrub_Whisperer said:

Good morning, I bought a kit of two DDR4 8GB TridentZ modules and I have issues with the stability of my PC, sometimes, I lose 1 to 4 frames in which the display freezes and sound seem to glitch, the PC was doing alright, but lately the problem has become worse, I got a “Blue Screen of Death” and it said it was the Memory. At first it was fine and I could easily obtain 3200MHz with XMP, however my PC started glitching after a week or so. I thought the BIOS was the cause, so I waited for an AGESA update and still experienced the same glitch. I searched the internet for an answer and nobody seems to have the same problem as me, I can’t afford my PC to let me down in the middle of an online game by doing a BSOD, so the one he just did, was, you guessed it... too much.

Before someone asks, here's my build...

AMD Ryzen 3 1300x

G.Skill TridentZ x2 8GB DDR4 @3200MHz

Gigabyte AB350N-Gaming-WiFi

Zotac AMP! Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB

Crucial MX300 256GB SSD

Western Digital Blue 64MB Cache, 1TB @ 7200RPM

Fractal Design Define S

Which specific TridentZ memory kit do you have?

What is the XMP frequencies, timings, and voltages?

3200 MHz might not be stable with your CPU and motherboard combination -- might need to drop it down to 2933 or 3000 MHz.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

Checked the clock speed compatibility and both the CPU and MOBO are compatible with RAM @ 3200MHz

I do know that these sticks aren't "Ryzen optimized" but I know someone else who have the same memory sticks and CPU and still, he never experienced that glitch

16 minutes ago, Scrub_Whisperer said:

Checked the clock speed compatibility and both the CPU and MOBO are compatible with RAM @ 3200MHz

No...I mean the Integrated Memory Controller (IMC) INSIDE your CPU might not be compatible since DDR4-2933 and 3200 MHz requires overclocking the IMC.

The IMC will vary from one CPU to another...just like how the DNA between two identical twins is not 110% the same.

That, and XMP only really automatically adjusted the primary memory timings, the motherboard "learning" process takes care of the secondary/minor timings.

Also, make sure you have the latest BIOS available.

According to Gigabyte's site for your motherboard, latest is F23d, from April 17, 2018.

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]

• Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

1 hour ago, -rascal- said:

No...I mean the Integrated Memory Controller (IMC) INSIDE your CPU might not be compatible since DDR4-2933 and 3200 MHz requires overclocking the IMC.

The IMC will vary from one CPU to another...just like how the DNA between two identical twins is not 110% the same.

That, and XMP only really automatically adjusted the primary memory timings, the motherboard "learning" process takes care of the secondary/minor timings.

Also, make sure you have the latest BIOS available.

According to Gigabyte's site for your motherboard, latest is F23d, from April 17, 2018.

I mean the Ryzen 3 1300x is listed compatible with 3200MHz clock speed, why wouldn't it be compatible even so? Would it mean I got a defect one? Will try tweaking the IMC...

I did update my BIOS to F23d, the day after it became available.

1 hour ago, Scrub_Whisperer said:

I mean the Ryzen 3 1300x is listed compatible with 3200MHz clock speed, why wouldn't it be compatible even so? Would it mean I got a defect one? Will try tweaking the IMC...

I did update my BIOS to F23d, the day after it became available.

AMD only offiicially rates the 1300X and 1200 for DDR4-2666 MHz.

Anything over that, and you are overclocking the IMC.

As with overclocking anything, your mileage may vary, and it is not 110% guaranteed.

One person with a R3-1200 might be able to get DDR4-3400 working. Some unlucky guy might have a iffy chip, and only DDR4-2666 works.

The IMC is PHYSICALLY part of the CPU die...you can't really tweak it hardware wise...only software.

On the motherboard manufacturer side, that's tweaking the BIOS firmware.

On the user side, adjusting the DRAM frequency settings, timings, and voltages.

AMD-Ryzen-Die-Shot.jpg

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz

• Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

I recently ran into a similar issue with my R7 2700X on an x470 board, my fix was to enable Precision Boost in the BIOS and remove any manual overclocking, then in Ryzen Master I set the Control Mode to "Auto" and then manually entered 1600 in the Memory Control section (DDR is basically 2x the speed you set, so 1600 x 2 = 3200). I rebooted and my 2700x is now auto-overclocking itself to the highest it can (at least based on the Precision Boost algorithm) and my memory successfully hits 3200MHz.

Prior to this, my memory also caused system instability and BSOD's when I manually set the memory speed to 3200MHz through either the memory speed multiplier or the XMP profile presets.

The above suggestion will probably work for you.  If you want to do it the manual way, you will probably need to lower your cpu overclock to give the imc a bit more room to stretch.  You could see what balance of cpu/memory overclock works best, but the precision boost may just be safer.

10 hours ago, HunterAP said:

Would be great if I could enable XFR or Precision Boost, but I can't see it in the BIOS

I also have a Gigabyte board, it should be in Peripherals -> NBIO Common Options -> Precision Boost Overdrive configuration -> Enable.

5 hours ago, HunterAP said:

I also have a Gigabyte board, it should be in Peripherals -> NBIO Common Options -> Precision Boost Overdrive configuration -> Enable.

Went to Peripherals -> AMD CBS -> NBIO Common Options -> and... There's only cTDP Control, Processor Temperature Control and Mode0

@HunterAP

It seems like a manual overclock @ 3.7GHz, 1.35V allows the ram to clock at 3200MHz... I game-test my PC for 1 hour up to now, seems like it's working...

Tried 3.9GHz w/ 1.4V, even though my PC gained much performance, it became much more unstable.

Been playing for 3 hours straight and my PC seems much more stable than before, I will let you know if something ever happens.

The glitch is back! It happened twice, but it is much less pronounced, I think the answer lies in the Precision Boost... I have to activate it, but I don't know how

If you have the manual for the mobo, see if it points you to where it's located in the BIOS.
Otherwise you'll have to go through pretty much every option. I'd keep searching in the "Peripherals" tab.

It says Core Performance Boost, I think it's a mix between XFR and Precision Boost, am I wrong ?

Searched the whole Manual and nothing called Boost except Game Boost or Core Performance Boost

I can't seem to find anything online of the menus in your specific BIOS menus, so unfortunately you'll have to manually go through every option in the BIOS.
If it's not there then maybe someone else can point you in the right direction.

Searched in the entire BIOS, found nothing, the glitch reappearred, this time, much worse, can't seem to find a stable overclocking... I tried for 4 hours now and I didn't find any stable configuration, they all end up in freezes... Kinda tired, will RMA my RAM and CPU, the worst is that I tested my RAM for 2 hours before using my completed build and nothing wrong, this is over my skills, I don't think I will be able to repair it.

Some friend in a small shop ran my PC on some company-owned software and my PC is neat, it has no problem what so ever. The weird thing is that my PC still experience the "glitches"... Don't know what to do. Thanks for all the help @HunterAP Really appreciated.