Help in deciding uppgrades for my old PC

Pajjen

Hi, i would appriciate advice on updating my old PC or even advice against updating it.

Current PC:

I built my current PC 6 years ago with the following components:

MB: Asus P8C WS

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 @ 3,4GHz

Cooler: Noctua NH-D14

RAM: 16Gb DDR3 (not entierly shure on brand probobly corsair)

HDD: 2xSamsung 830 SSD 128GB in raid 0

Case: Corsair Obsidian 550D

PSU: Corsair AX750

GPU: Sapphire Radeib HD7850 

2 years later i updated the GPU with an ASUS GeForce GTX 970 Strix and last year i splurged on a Asus ROG STRIX GTX 1080 Ti 11GB OC.

The PSU has been RMAed and i have a more modern Corsair AX850 now.

I have also added a 500Gb drive for game installs and a NAS for private and work files.

I currently use a Dell 3415W 34" (3440x1440) monitor as main monitor for professional use and gaming for FPS and Strategy games. When running other games with controller i game on my 4 year old Samsung 46" 1080p TV.

Use case:

I use my PC for both professional and private stuff.

I use it for electrical design engineering, designing printed circuit boards using the software Altium Designer and various simulation softwares. Altium is not really optimised for multicore usage and graphic requirements while there is some, does not come close to what gaming requires.

Most demading stuff i require of my computer is gaming related. Mostly PUBG, various RPG games (Fallout, Elder Scrolls, GTA) and racing games as Forza Horizon (looking forward to 4)

Current issues:

Currently i have to main issues with my current setup. It has troubles with booting, almos always when starting the PC it will go through BIOS (uefi) boot and then show loading screen for windows and then it turns the monitor to sleeping mode. Sometimes after a while it will reboot itself if left to its own devices and i will get the login screen after about 5 minutes, if not i have to force reset the system. When its up it wont recognize my USB mouse and i have to disconnect and connect it again to get it to work. When the PC is on it will work fine.

Future:

The plan when buying the last GPU was to also update the rest of the components but now im unsure. I dont want to spend alot of money if i will not see marked improvement in graphics quality in my games.

Alternatives:

1: Update MB, CPU, RAM and SSD with either i9-9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, 2x8Gb DDR4 ram and a Samsung 970 EVO M.2 500Gb or a bit less money on  i5-9600K, ASUS STRIX Z390 Gaming board but still with 2x8GB DDR4 ram and a samsung 970 EVO m.2 500Gb

2: Update Samsung 970 EVO m.2 500Gb on a PCIE adpater board and a fresh install of windows,

3: In combination of either alternative 1 or 2 above getting a proper gaming monitor.

Request for advice:

What do you think will give me a clear improvment i games quality. Will i see a clear improvment doing full upgrade or maybe only a reinstall solving my current issues be close to the same result? Will i better gaming monitor give me more improvement than doing other HW updates, or do you have other sugestions? As for budget if i see big improvements and prolong the lifespan of my PC for another 6 year spending 1k is fine by me.

Sorry about long post and the spelling and gramar mistakes, but its late, English is not my first language and im quite drunk writing this.

BR

Pajjen

3 minutes ago, Pajjen said:

So What's your budget country?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

8 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

So What's your budget country?

Sorry i was not clear. Country is Sweden and the budget if its required for clear improvement would cover the expensive side of alternative 1. Which i estimate will be about 11k sek (or 1200USD) (estimate as pricing for Z390 and 9th gen CPU is not announced). If the recomendation is alternative 1 on the expensive side and a new monitor i would probobly do it in 2 steps to spread the cost.

9 minutes ago, Pajjen said:

Sorry i was not clear. Country is Sweden and the budget if its required for clear improvement would cover the expensive side of alternative 1. Which i estimate will be about 11k sek (or 1200USD) (estimate as pricing for Z390 and 9th gen CPU is not announced). If the recomendation is alternative 1 on the expensive side and a new monitor i would probobly do it in 2 steps to spread the cost.

Just grab an R7 2700, X470 board, and 16GBs of 3000mhz or better memory?

Z390 is unlikely to beat it in value.

Also comes with StoreMI which is neat for accelerating hard drives.

PCPartPicker part list: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/YQzJbX
Price breakdown by merchant: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/YQzJbX/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700 3.2GHz 8-Core Processor  (€268.79 @ Mindfactory)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard  (€141.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (€146.89 @ Mindfactory)
Total: €557.67
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-08-04 03:20 CEST+0200

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?