games have sudden huge fps drops after playing fine for a while

spiroulis

Lately when i play games they run fine for a while and then they have a huge fps drop that wont dissapear after a reboot. This didnt happen before and i havent installed anything new and i also checked the temperatures of the cpu/gpu/mobo and they were all fine. Also after the fps drop happens, while games will still have very low fps until i restart the pc, other programs do not seem to be affected. If i restart the pc the games start playing good again for a while and then the fps drop and so on.

Specs : 

Pentium D dual-core 3ghz cpu

Nvidia Gt 610 2GB gpu

Asus p5nd2-sli mobo

What games are you playing?

Most game intros are much easier to run then the rest of the game.

My life

1. Which games

2. I would consider to upgrade your GPU to anything better. And I mean anything :)

Just now, Himommies said:

What games are you playing?

Most game intros are much easier to run then the rest of the game.

Nope the games play fine for a while at every level. Also i play an mmorpg and basically do the same things that i used to before this started happening, and while it plays good for a while the fps drops later even when looking at the sky or walls.

Just now, spiroulis said:

Nope the games play fine for a while at every level. Also i play an mmorpg and basically do the same things that i used to before this started happening, and while it plays good for a while the fps drops later even when looking at the sky or walls.

What game is it/

My life

I will also recommend in case is any other program affecting your performance (before you upgrade hardware) to make a soft or hard format of your PC.

This usually helps alot with old laptops.

4 minutes ago, Karl Sven said:

1. Which games

2. I would consider to upgrade your GPU to anything better. And I mean anything :)

@Himommies

most specifically hitman absolution and aion but they play good for a while and then have fps drops which didnt happen a while back they played fine all the time. The gpu isnt worth upgrading imo since anything better than that will most likely be held back by the cpu

3 minutes ago, Karl Sven said:

I will also recommend in case is any other program affecting your performance (before you upgrade hardware) to make a soft or hard format of your PC.

This usually helps alot with old laptops.

yup a hard format is what im planning to try next but wanted to ask if anyone has another solution here first

most specifically hitman absolution and aion but they play good for a while and then have fps drops which didnt happen a while back they played fine all the time. The gpu isnt worth upgrading imo since anything better than that will most likely be held back by the cpu

Not necessarily. That theory (and held your torches out there) is very fishy. And with this games you're talking about you will benefit from a gpu only upgrade, yes.

What I would do is:
1. Format PC with clean windows install (the version that fits better your laptop)

2. Install only necessary 3rd party programs and the games you want.

3. If the problem persists I will go for change laptop entirely.

This is very personal. But if you enjoy playing and is your hobby... Go for something better. There is budget options out there to play Aion :) 

2 minutes ago, Karl Sven said:

Not necessarily. That theory (and held your torches out there) is very fishy. And with this games you're talking about you will benefit from a gpu only upgrade, yes.

What I would do is:
1. Format PC with clean windows install (the version that fits better your laptop)

2. Install only necessary 3rd party programs and the games you want.

3. If the problem persists I will go for change laptop entirely.

This is very personal. But if you enjoy playing and is your hobby... Go for something better. There is budget options out there to play Aion :) 

ok i will try a format, thank you very much :). Also it is a dekstop xD but i am planning to upgrade it soon.

4 minutes ago, spiroulis said:

ok i will try a format, thank you very much :). Also it is a dekstop xD but i am planning to upgrade it soon.

Oh lord xD

If you are a desktop player then you have incredibly good options out there.

From prebuilt ones to make your own very cheap boosting up to 10.000% (to put a random number xD) your performance. 

Enter the 21th century and enjoy the wonders of SSD, DDR5 and over 9x series Nvidia cards. All that you can get it for 500$  roughly (or less honestly) :)

And if you are in this kinda things... Save some money and just go for a GTX1060. It is probably the best budget card atm.

Take into account that if youre gonna build a PC Nvidia is going to release new cards soon btw (4 to 5 months is my guess). So wait a bit (meanwhile saving some cash xD) and buy one of the newer ones or the current ones at a lower price. Anyway is worth the wait as long as we know for sure the new cards will come in autum this year.