i cant get cooler on

echy

i bought a cpu 1700 ryzen and it came with a cooler... i cant get the cooler on ... help? its to hard 

You need to remove the existing retention mechanism and screw the cooler down onto the backplate. Do it in an X pattern and don't tighten down all screws immediately.

First put down the top left screw and screw it down far enough so it doesn't snap out of the thread, then do the bottom right, then the top right and bottom left. Then tighten them down in a similar fashion. It needs even pressure at every corner, also during the mounting process.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

2 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

You need to remove the existing retention mechanism and screw the cooler down onto the backplate. Do it in an X pattern and don't tighten down all screws immediately.

First put down the top left screw and screw it down far enough so it doesn't snap out of the thread, then do the bottom right, then the top right and bottom left. Then tighten them down in a similar fashion. It needs even pressure at every corner, also during the mounting process.

how do i remove the existing retention mechanism ?  this cooler has springs with the screws which makes it more difficult

3 minutes ago, echy said:

how do i remove the existing retention mechanism ?  this cooler has springs with the screws which makes it more difficult

The plastic bridge things that came with the motherboard need to be removed, just unscrew them as normal. Then put the new cooler on in the fashion I

described. 

s-l300.jpg

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

1 minute ago, NelizMastr said:

The plastic bridge things that came with the motherboard need to be removed, just unscrew them as normal. Then put the new cooler on in the fashion I described. 

i removed the two plastic bridge things that were on the motherboard by unscrewing them... i still find it difficult screwing on the cooler though.. im trying the method you told me... i dont think its working.. the springs are to tough

2 minutes ago, echy said:

i removed the two plastic bridge things that were on the motherboard by unscrewing them... i still find it difficult screwing on the cooler though.. im trying the method you told me... i dont think its working.. the springs are to tough

That's why you shouldn't put one corner in and already screw it down all the way, you won't be able to get the others in without snapping something in half. You need to go around all the screws a number of times tightening them down equally each time, a little bit at a time.

5 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

That's why you shouldn't put one corner in and already screw it down all the way, you won't be able to get the others in without snapping something in half. You need to go around all the screws a number of times tightening them down equally each time, a little bit at a time.

i havent put one corner in.... its to hard.. im trying put i dont want to put to much force and break the motherboard

1 minute ago, echy said:

i havent put one corner in.... its to hard.. im trying put i dont want to put to much force and break the motherboard

also what are these screws for.. i feel like im missing something

20180803_001205.jpg

i fixed it ... my brother had to hold the bridge... behind the computer... it was not possible for me to do it alone.... then while i screwed the fan in place.... thanks for your help! that picture you should me made me think ... and gave me the idea of the bridge.. thanks!

-= Moved to Air Cooling =-

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER