NAS not on a network

Hey guys

Simple question but there are a lot of different people saying different things.

Can I have a NAS directly plugged into a PC, I'm planning on bulding the NAS myself but can I just plug it directly into my PC?

TIA

3 minutes ago, jorge97 said:

Hey guys

Simple question but there are a lot of different people saying different things.

Can I have a NAS directly plugged into a PC, I'm planning on bulding the NAS myself but can I just plug it directly into my PC?

TIA

Sure, it's possible to network two machines directly using the crossover technique however the NAS will only be accessible by the machine it's connected to.

This can be overcome on a dual NIC board with the use of connection sharing but it quickly becomes very messy.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

Sure, it's possible to network two machines directly using the crossover technique however the NAS will only be accessible by the machine it's connected to.

This can be overcome on a dual NIC board with the use of connection sharing but it quickly becomes very messy.

So I can't just get two network cards and plug a network cable between the two?

7 minutes ago, jorge97 said:

Hey guys

TIA

Your NAS is likely to end up hard wired anyways from some Ethernet switch.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

3 minutes ago, jorge97 said:

Yes you can do a direct network connection

https://kb.iu.edu/d/axtm

It has severe limitations though, the NAS will only be accessible by the computer it's connected to.

I won't confuse the issue any more than that. It's possible but not ideal.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

It sounds like you're really thinking of a DAS (Direct-attached storage). If you only need to access the RAID/JBOD unit from one close-by computer, then USB/Thunderbolt based storage systems will give you better speeds than 1Gb Ethernet, and almost certainly be much cheaper than 10Gbe. You also would be sparing yourself the complications of setting up a second LAN through your computer.

But I take it you really want to build your NAS yourself, and DAS systems are likely only available as pre-built units.

If you want good hardware recommendations, please tell us how you intend to use the hardware. There's rarely a single correct answer.

You could build a NAS and make it to be able to access it only from one PC. It's almost as DAS but over network.

What I really think you want to do is to make it to be sealed away from internet and that thing is going to be really tricky due the fact that if someone want to access it, it will be possible even if you fully disconnect it from computer. let's take an example. You have 2Gb of data, and you have a connection from data storage and PC with 100mbps speed and internet upload is 10Mbps that means. The smallest speed transfer is 1MB ( converting from 10 bytes to bites is arount 1.25bites) so it will need 2*1024 seconds to copy your file and that means he needs roughly 30 mins to copy your stuff. So connecting and disconnecting isn't an option. The other option is to run a both machines sterile, w/o internet connection. There is more to talk about security but this is the basic taht involve your case.

long story short, you have 2 options : 

1) Sterile PC and storage envrioment ( if you don't want your stuff to be near internet)

2) DAS ( if you want to direct attach the storage server to every machine (as the name sugest xD ) )\

A third option would be to make a second network to run your NAS on but that would be a hassle and a headache for literally nothing.

On 8/2/2018 at 2:56 AM, jorge97 said:

Why not just connect it to the router?  Your suggestion sounds like a lot of work while intentionally limiting yourself.

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

1 minute ago, beersykins said:

Why not just connect it to the router?  Your suggestion sounds like a lot of work while intentionally limiting yourself.

Maybe he has some dirty secrets, who knows? lel

Why not just get more local storage on your PC then?  get a bigger case/chassis if you need to, will certainly be a LOT cheaper than a whole other NAS system just to access it from one PC anyway.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini