New motherboard and windows

samzap

Hello , I just got a new mother board and power supply. And I’m getting a bit worried about Windows and my storage. Because I’m upgrading my pc I was wondering if I change the mother board will I have to buy a new copy of Windows for it and remove everything from my hdd? Because I don’t have money for neither of them

Register your windows key with your microsoft account and then reinstall windows, no need to re buy it

Yes when you reinstall windows you will lose the items on your hard drive, just back up important ones on a usb

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

51 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Register your windows key with your microsoft account and then reinstall windows, no need to re buy it

Yes when you reinstall windows you will lose the items on your hard drive, just back up important ones on a usb

No I was thinking if I replace the motherboard if windows will stay on it or not

1 minute ago, samzap said:

No I was thinking if I replace the motherboard if windows will stay on it or not

It will, but you should do a fresh installation anyway. Drivers will conflict with each other and cause issues

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

2 hours ago, samzap said:

Hello , I just got a new mother board and power supply. And I’m getting a bit worried about Windows and my storage. Because I’m upgrading my pc I was wondering if I change the mother board will I have to buy a new copy of Windows for it and remove everything from my hdd? Because I don’t have money for neither of them

This is third the same question on first page on this section.

One is even just below yours!

thesame.png

JUST replace mainboard and PSU and run your old system. More information on many similar posts here.

I have a quick question about this, I don't think i need to make a new post, but here it goes. My SSD has windows and a game or two that's it, I understand i have to format and reinstall windows etc. but would i have to format my 2TB HDD which has all my games and documents music, etc. as well? Thanks

You don't have to reinstall or format anything! Just change hardware. It's so easy to just check instead starting with format drives and reinstalling Windows every time you change mb/hdd/gpu/mouse etc.