Looking for a reliable GPS around $70-100

Cyberspirit

Do you guys have any recommendations?

Not sure what to look for in a GPS, to be honest.

We need it for a long trip from Hungary to Italy so, I don't want to cheap out and get lost because of a bad GPS.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

can't you just use a phone? they work amazing nowadays. Waste of money in my opinion.

Unless you are talking about wild nature walks...

Just now, asus killer said:

can't you just use a phone? they work amazing nowadays. Waste of money in my opinion.

Unless you are talking about wild nature walks...

Well, the ones who will be traveling are my sister and her partner and, from my experience they will need a GPS.

The phone GPS always seems to get confused and is just unusable here. Maybe that's just my experience but, whenever we used a phone's GPS it always ended up with frustration.

3 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

Well, the ones who will be traveling are my sister and her partner and, from my experience they will need a GPS.

The phone GPS always seems to get confused and is just unusable here. Maybe that's just my experience but, whenever we used a phone's GPS it always ended up with frustration.

when you say "the phone gps" what do you mean?

in my experience modern phones don't lose signal from the satellites like they used a couple of years back.

And if you're talking about the software they can be as bad or as good as a dedicated gps, software is software, just dependents on what you install. But there are even free software that work flawlessly (many times made by the one that make the dedicated gps's software), they just come with some ads and stuff.

1 minute ago, asus killer said:

when you say "the phone gps" what do you mean?

in my experience modern phones don't lose signal from the satellites like they used a couple of years back.

And if you're talking about the software they can be as bad or as good as a dedicated gps, software is software, just dependents on what you install. But there are even free software that work flawlessly (many times made by the one that make the dedicated gps's software), they just come with some ads and stuff.

We only used Google maps so far. Are there better alternatives? I never bothered to look.

30 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

We only used Google maps so far. Are there better alternatives? I never bothered to look.

in android i use one "offline maps and navigation", works great. and another one that is just for my country (its the one i use more). I'm sure if you look in the store and go for the most downloaded and voted either in ios and android you can get good gps apps.

they are booth free

44 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

google maps is the best you can get for free and even paid options are barely any better.

you should get used to google maps because if this is already a problem you will have a really really bad time with stand alone navigation systems due to outdated maps and especially in the cheap models very bad navigation.

what exactly was your problem with google maps and when was the last time you used it?

1 hour ago, Pixel5 said:

google maps is the best you can get for free and even paid options are barely any better.

you should get used to google maps because if this is already a problem you will have a really really bad time with stand alone navigation systems due to outdated maps and especially in the cheap models very bad navigation.

what exactly was your problem with google maps and when was the last time you used it?

Also worth asking is if the phone they used google maps on had good GPS and a compass sensor and a gyroscope.

The Garmin 50LM (if it wasn't that exact one, then it was an older model than that) was fine whenever I've used them and they're pretty cheap (you could probably even pick on up 2nd hand really cheap on ebay or something like that) for a known brand.

9 hours ago, Cyberspirit said:

The thing you need to understand about google maps is they tell you to turn, before your turn comes up, so you have time to anticipate where you're going. If you use google maps while the map is great to look at for visuals its always best to visibly look for the sign/name of the road you are looking to turn on. This goes for any GPS system in reality.

I use Waze for navigation on my phone - it's really good :)

I will only ever answer to the best of my ability - there is absolutely no promises that I will be correct. Or helpful. At all.

My toaster:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k @ 4.3GHz
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Formula
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX770 2GB
Case: Some free Sharkoon case
Storage: Crucial MX500 500GB SSD | Western Digital Blue 1TB
PSU: Corsair HX750
Display(s): Acer framless 24" 1080p thing | Acer 22" 1600x900 thing
Cooling: Corsair H100i AIO | 2 x Corsair LL120 front intakes on radiator | 1 x Corsair LL120 rear exhaust
Keyboard: Steelseries Apex
Mouse: R.A.T 7
Sound: HyperX Cloud II headset | Creative EAX 5.1 speakers