EKWB Fluid Gaming [questions] [discussion]

Hey guys!

So I am dabbling with the idea of doing a water cooling loop, mostly for the aesthetics. And was looking at the EKWB fluid gaming kit, I am aware that it is aluminum and have done custom loop cooling before, built an absolute ton of pc's. I'm just curious why I don't see this kit used more? My gtx970 is not compatible as far as I can tell so I'd just do CPU. Closing in at less that 200 bucks for a kickass 'custom' loop? I get people are turned off by not being able to expand to copper(or otherwise) parts but then turn around and buy an AIO, doesn't seam to make sense to me.

I have an i7-4770k so I'm really not doing this for performance, just want a water loop in my build for less than 500 bucks and good parts.

What are your thoughts on this loop? Have you used it?

I think EKWB has an account on here can someone tag them? I'm curious what they have to say about it and if there is a way to integrate am EVGA GTX 970 into the g series loop.

Ryzen 9 3950x - 64 GB DDR4 - NVME 980 pro SSD - EVGA RTX 3080 FTW Ultra - FAD CASE

Full custom loop / links below out of date

LTT Build Log | PCPP Build Log

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry if I stop responding, I've probably gotten busy as I mostly am only on here while working.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

59 minutes ago, jeffmeyer5295 said:

-SNIP-

The fluid gaming kit is an excellent transition option for the cost and options for configuring a first time custom loop. As you said your options are limited due to the availability of compatible aluminum waterblocks, but most people that decide to get an AIO over a custom loop is decided on the yearly maintenance and extra care needed to ensure it runs smooth. 

As for the 970 unless you have the equipment to modify or create your own aluminum blocks it's not very viable. 

9 minutes ago, W-L said:

As for the 970 unless you have the equipment to modify or create your own aluminum blocks it's not very viable. 

That's what I figured, I haven't had any luck finding anything for it.

10 minutes ago, W-L said:

The fluid gaming kit is an excellent transition option for the cost and options for configuring a first time custom loop. As you said your options are limited due to the availability of compatible aluminum waterblocks, but most people that decide to get an AIO over a custom loop is decided on the yearly maintenance and extra care needed to ensure it runs smooth. 

I was mostly just concerned as to why I haven't seen it used more. I've spent between $500-$1000 on custom loops in the past and getting a dual rand, gpu+cpu loop for 300-400 seems a little weird to me. I'm familiar that aluminum is a little worse for thermals than copper but THAT much worse?  

I'm aware of the high maintenance for custom loops and I've heard people say the Aluminum is worse for maintenance but as far as I know it's not worse than copper? As long as you don't mix components? Aren't a ton of AIO's running aluminum and zero maintenance? Thanks in advance!

Ryzen 9 3950x - 64 GB DDR4 - NVME 980 pro SSD - EVGA RTX 3080 FTW Ultra - FAD CASE

Sorry if I stop responding, I've probably gotten busy as I mostly am only on here while working.

11 minutes ago, jeffmeyer5295 said:

-SNIP-

Copper and aluminum don't make a huge impact in performance but is for sure noticeable, the largest difference is the cost of the material and manufacturing process more than anything else. The copper blocks are all solid billet that need to be machined where the aluminium blocks are all cast, probably via die casting. 

Alu_VS_Cu_01-2.jpg

As for fluid changes it's more of the fact that it needs to be done and is a hassle that I find turns some people down next to the relatively comparable performance of an AIO unit with no maintenance needed. As for metals most AIO's actually use mixed metal loops but with the proper fluids to counter galvanic corrosion, however that only lasts so long therefore the life of them is not indefinite. 

12 minutes ago, W-L said:

-snip-

Thanks a ton for the information I really appreciate it!

4 hours ago, jeffmeyer5295 said:

Thanks a ton for the information I really appreciate it!

I think its also just that being on the low-end, people are less likely to be "showy" about their build nearly as much as a "proud custom-loop owner". I personally think its a fairly good kit as long as you're aware of what you're getting into ecosystem wise.