i5 8600k 5ghz or i7 8700k?

I am only a gamer and I found that overclocking i5 8600k is a big money saver. I have a good water cooler so I think I could clock it to 5ghz without any issues ? What do you guys think ? In that case I can save 121$

8600K can certainly overclock to 5GHz easily, but I'm not sure how long it can hold up in long-term use. Also, you'll need to pay attention to what temps you reach on a 5GHz overclock.

The great thing about the 8700K is the hyper-threading, but you said you're only a gamer so hyper-threading wouldn't do much for you, which wouldn't make much sense for you to take an 8700K for $121 extra.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

7 minutes ago, seoz said:

8600K can certainly overclock to 5GHz easily, but I'm not sure how long it can hold up in long-term use. Also, you'll need to pay attention to what temps you reach on a 5GHz overclock.

The great thing about the 8700K is the hyper-threading, but you said you're only a gamer so hyper-threading wouldn't do much for you, which wouldn't make much sense for you to take an 8700K for $121 extra.

Thank you for your reply, I am gonna use a hydrho h100 with it. Do you think it could last 3 years atleast?

1 minute ago, zindan said:

Thank you for your reply, I am gonna use a hydrho h100 with it. Do you think it could last 3 years atleast?

I'm honestly too new to the PC race to be predicting CPU lifespans, sorry! I'm going to say yes though, because I've been told before that CPUs won't degrade and so won't lose performance even on moderately-high overclocks.

3 minutes ago, zindan said:

I generely try to stay at a max of 70C even if it costs me clock speed just to make sure I dont put on heavy loads over a long period and have like 80-90C over a period of 60-70 hours a week. It has to do with voltage too, as we know energy doesnt just disappear. electrical energy turns into thermal energy aka for a high OC you will need enough Volt which again produces heat. High Voltage can cripple or even kill your CPU so staying on the cooler side of things certainly does benefit you.

2 minutes ago, ZeouLs said:

I generely try to stay at a max of 70C even if it costs me power just to make sure I dont put on heavy loads over a long period and have like 80-90C over a period of 60-70 hours a week

I think you are talking temperature wise when you say C, I have never ever had any of my cpus in my room over 60C ever. I doubt it's gonna come up to 70C eve at 5ghz. With the watercooler and my room temperature I doubt it. I don't know what your room temperature is but you might be right. Perhaps with an overclock to 5ghz it could increase dramatically. We  will see. Hopefully not.

5 minutes ago, seoz said:

I'm honestly too new to the PC race to be predicting CPU lifespans, sorry! I'm going to say yes though, because I've been told before that CPUs won't degrade and so won't lose performance even on moderately-high overclocks.

4 minutes ago, ZeouLs said:

I generely try to stay at a max of 70C even if it costs me power just to make sure I dont put on heavy loads over a long period and have like 80-90C over a period of 60-70 hours a week

Is this motherboard a good pick with the cpu ? My quetion is really "Is it easy to overclock with this mobo" ? :)

1 minute ago, zindan said:

Is this motherboard a good pick with the cpu ? My quetion is really "Is it easy to overclock with this mobo" ? :)

I'm not sure if you knew this already, but if you're going from a 7700K to an 8XXXK, then you need a Z370 motherboard. In this scenario, get something like an Asus ROG Strix Z370-F and you can overclock easily. :) 

1 minute ago, seoz said:

I'm not sure if you knew this already, but if you're going from a 7700K to an 8XXXK, then you need a Z370 motherboard. In this scenario, get something like an Asus ROG Strix Z370-F and you can overclock easily. :) 

My current setup is my old setup, I sold that pc. But yeah thank you for looking that up and telling me that. This mobo supports 8 gen intel core and its called Strix z370-H But I will check out the one you recommended and compare prices. thank you

5 minutes ago, zindan said:

It might be that your AIO is sick af (I'm still an o.g. air cooler) but from what I've seen and read Coffee-Lake aka 8th Gen CPUs are insanely hot. We are talking about 80-90°C on load hence why so many people started deliding the 8th Gen CPUs, at least on the higher end of stuff (8700K, 8600K)

BTW: I myself run a Coffee-Lake 8750h 6C/12T on 3.9GHz, playing stuff like Destiny bumps my temps to 70°C on ultra settings 1080p on air cooling and 3.9 isnt really that high of a clock speed

Just now, zindan said:

My current setup is my old setup, I sold that pc. But yeah thank you for looking that up and telling me that. This mobo supports 8 gen intel core and its called Strix z370-H But I will check out the one you recommended and compare prices. thank you

Ah okay, that's what I get for going based off your profile system! :D That Strix Z370-H looks like a mighty overclocker among the Strix range, should be absolutely smooth for overclocks. :) 

1 minute ago, ZeouLs said:

It might be that your AIO is sick af (I'm still an o.g. air cooler) but from what I've seen and read Coffee-Lake aka 8th Gen CPUs are insanely hot. We are talking about 80-90°C on load hence why so many people started deliding the 8th Gen CPUs, at least on the higher end of stuff (8700K, 8600K)

I might delid it aswell if I get crazy temperatures like that... Thank you very much for the information.

Just now, seoz said:

Ah okay, that's what I get for going based off your profile system! :D That Strix Z370-H looks like a mighty overclocker among the Strix range, should be absolutely smooth for overclocks. :) 

Umm the z370-f is more expensive... If we put the easy-level of overclocking aside and just compare the z370-h with z370-f.. Is it worth the extra 30-40$ performance wise? Since I am not buying a 8700k anylonger I got a lot of money over.

3 minutes ago, seoz said:

My misstake, they cost about the same!! I am going with the H version!

Just now, zindan said:

Umm the z370-f is more expensive... If we put the easy-level of overclocking aside and just compare the z370-h with z370-f.. Is it worth the extra 30-40$ performance wise? Since I am not buying a 8700k anylonger I got a lot of money over.

If you have the Z370-H already, don't bother going for a Z370-F, they're around the same board.

Just now, seoz said:

If you have the Z370-H already, don't bother going for a Z370-F, they're around the same board.

Thank you very much. 

just wait until 9700k

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

23 minutes ago, DarkSmith2 said:

just wait until 9700k

When is that ?

36 minutes ago, zindan said:

When is that ?

approximately in two to three month.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

8 minutes ago, DarkSmith2 said:

approximately in two to three month.

Is that a rumor or real information ? source? 

I can wait 2-3 months, absolutely. 

3 minutes ago, zindan said:

Is that a rumor or real information ? source? 

I can wait 2-3 months, absolutely. 

well its a rumor. But by the sheer mass of leaks in the last couple of days and the official announcement of z390 boards releasing by asus in that timeframe its a kinda certain thing.

https://videocardz.com/newz/asus-officially-confirms-z390-maximus-xi-motherboard-series

2 hours ago, DarkSmith2 said:

well its a rumor. But by the sheer mass of leaks in the last couple of days and the official announcement of z390 boards releasing by asus in that timeframe its a kinda certain thing.

https://videocardz.com/newz/asus-officially-confirms-z390-maximus-xi-motherboard-series

Okay I will wait until october/november for a i5 9600k and a z390 mobo and also a gtx 1180 if they don't release it until 2019...

3 hours ago, zindan said:

I might delid it aswell if I get crazy temperatures like that... Thank you very much for the information.

You prolly will get crazy Temps at 5ghz and the h100i I was at 4.7 no delid. The h100i was is a pile of $hit I've got a kraken x62 on the way. 

Firestrike 
i7-8700k @5.0GHz w/ 1.30v, Corsair h100iv2, Gigabye Aorus gaming 7, 16GB(8x2) 2666MHz ddr4, Dual RX470's OC'd to 1390mhz(atm) in corssfire - liguid cooled with corsair h60's, 3.25 TB in Samsung SSD's, anidees white crystal cube case 

Retired:
i5-4440k @3.2GHz, gigabyte ga-z87x-ud5h z87, 24GB DDR3, 3x1TB Seagate Baracuda HDD.

4 hours ago, zindan said:

I think you are talking temperature wise when you say C, I have never ever had any of my cpus in my room over 60C ever. I doubt it's gonna come up to 70C eve at 5ghz. With the watercooler and my room temperature I doubt it. I don't know what your room temperature is but you might be right. Perhaps with an overclock to 5ghz it could increase dramatically. We  will see. Hopefully not.

Have you run any of the intel chips after the 6 series? They have drastically changed in the thermal output department. I mean I am running a delidded chip with a completely overkill custom loop and I still see 70-75c on stress tests when I push the clocks high (5.2-5.3ghz) That is on a loop with a delta-T around 3-4C which is extremely good. So unless you running some kind of chase-change or chiller setup you WILL see temps over 60c.

Heck before I delid my old 7700k it would spike to 90-95c at 5ghz on the same custom loop. Delid thankfully dropped me about 20-25C across the board. Then again that cpu has now been hand me downed to one of my other machines with a h240x with an extra 280mm rad and a mcp35x for redundancy cooling it and a gpu. I have it OC'ed to only 4.8ghz for this machine but If I remember correctly the stress testing temps at this level were only 58-60C and in general it probably runs close to high 40's and low 50's when gaming. That is however, AFTER a delid.

8 minutes ago, O9B0666 said:

You prolly will get crazy Temps at 5ghz and the h100i I was at 4.7 no delid. The h100i was is a pile of $hit I've got a kraken x62 on the way. 

The problem wasn't your H100i. The problem is unless you delid the thermal transfer from DIE to IHS to block is pretty bad. Once you delid  though that changes... in general most people see 15-25c decrease in chip temps. and a nice 4-5 degree increase in room temps LOL