Help! IA: PROCHOT throttling 8700k around 80c

I am at a loss and admittedly new to the scene. I have overclocked my delided 8700k to 5.05ghz at 1.405 volts (didn't win the lottery) on my Asus z370 F gaming Mobo. It's cooled by a Corsair 115i pro aio.

My problem is that in prime 95 (avx and non avx versions) I now get the IA:prochot limit and the CPU down clocks to 800mhz as if it's thermal throttling, yet it never reaches 82c (it also doesn't seem to pick a certain temp when it trips). Is there a thermal sensor for vccsa or vccio that I can't see causing this? I did just update my BIOS and this makes me suspect it's a problem with version 1002. It didn't do this before as far as I know even after hours of testing but I could be fooling myself or perhaps a setting got changed (even though I've combed through them for days).

Thanks so much to anyone who can throw a little knowledge my way! I hope the photo is readable.

Also in my fit of panic I posted this wayyy in the wrong place. Should be under Hardware.

IMG_20180728_223743.jpg

Edited by Treyminsmitzel
I Fail at Forums

@Crunchy Dragon, Awesome! Thanks. I didn't know if I needed to move it to the right place as I posted in general discussion earlier.

..And I just lost everything I typed out for the last 20 minutes because this was moved :( 

Well, here's the short of it. I'm no hardware engineer, but it seems the PROCHOT pin is connected to the VRM/EVRM in recent intel boards (Pages 37-38). This seems to suggest that the PROCHOT signal is designed to be triggered before an actual overcurrent or overtemp situation if the VRMs are close to their limits, and Intel recommends this behavior to its vendors. I noticed you had water cooling, do you have adequate airflow or a heatsink over your VRMs and/or other hot spots on the motherboard that an air cooler would normally cover?

I've also seen suggestions on other topics relating to laptops that seem to suggest software management is artificially throttling the CPU due to either VRM or a buggy software/bios version, particularly with MSI and Alienware models. You *could* try rolling back to see if it helps. I've seen suggestions to disable the signal using throttlestop, but I don't recommend that in case the sensor is actually protecting your hardware from a dangerous operating state. You most likely don't want to seriously limit the lifespan of or even destroy your hardware just because of a "warning" sensor (and it makes it even worse that people are doing this on laptops, which we all know never have adequate cooling in the first place!).

So yeah, I'm not an expert by any stretch, but hopefully these are decent starting points for you. If I understand what I've been reading up on, it seems that your problem could be either an unstable overclock with poor voltage, or an issue with thermals being too close to the maximum on some other component in the motherboard.

@Fullmental Thank you for being willing to type it all over again! It had me barking up the wrong tree as I interpreted PROCHOT(processor hot?) as some kind of core, or system agent thermal problem.

I added another fan and adjusted the fan curves, no change. I tried to roll back to a previous bios and the Asus flash utility would not take anything but the current bios so I flashed that for the heck of it. I went ahead and scrapped my previous OC settings as I read that the new bios requires a fair amount less voltage for some people. It looks like this bios isnt the bad one but the previous one I was used to and stable on was buggy at the very least. I can now boot at 5ghz with less than 1.3v, I could never even post at 1.3v previously.  Now it looks like stability will be near 1.35v instead of 1.4v.

Here is a photo of my current set up with the additional fan up top and the rear set up as an intake now.

IMG_20180729_084922.jpg