Overall poor gaming performance, gta especially!

Will01
Go to solution Solved by LionSpeck,
1 minute ago, Will01 said:

im a dumb boi lol. of course its not running dual channel, i have 1 stick of 8gb lol. forgot haha. here are the scores for superposition, so they are absolutely fine.

Ok, considering the perfectly normal Superposition results, I'd recommend running DDU and reinstalling the latest Nvidia driver; let's see if that fixes the issue

I feel i get pretty bad performance in games compared to other people with the same setup, maybe thats just me. but one major problem is GTA. Im trying to play it now, and im literally on 2fps. But its weird, its like 0 fps 60 fps etc. so it feels smooth for a split second then freezes completely and then returns. but overall its like 2fps. this problem is not a case of, "close down background tasks", "turn off windows gaming mode" or "turn down your settings". This problem is something specific and my pc should be able to play this game no problem at high settings! I know that for a fact as ive had the game running before absolutely fine.

Gigabyte gtx 1060 3gb

ryzen 5 1400

8gb ddr4 2400

corsair cx 430

asrock a320m-dgs

5 minutes ago, Will01 said:

Are you running the game on the lowest settings?

Do you have single channel memory?

Are you using a fresh windows install?

Run Firestrike or some other benchmark and see what your score is. Compare it to similar CPUs/GPUs.

Try throwing a fan over your VRM if your system might be throttling.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

7 minutes ago, Will01 said:

I feel i get pretty bad performance in games compared to other people with the same setup, maybe thats just me. but one major problem is GTA. Im trying to play it now, and im literally on 2fps. But its weird, its like 0 fps 60 fps etc. so it feels smooth for a split second then freezes completely and then returns. but overall its like 2fps. this problem is not a case of, "close down background tasks", "turn off windows gaming mode" or "turn down your settings". This problem is something specific and my pc should be able to play this game no problem at high settings! I know that for a fact as ive had the game running before absolutely fine.

Gigabyte gtx 1060 3gb

ryzen 5 1400

8gb ddr4 2400

corsair cx 430

asrock a320m-dgs

Can you post a screenshot of Afterburner graphs for CPU load, clock, temp, power, GPU load, clock, vcore, temp and graphics card power?

DESKTOP PC - CPU-Z VALIDi5 4690K @ 4.70 GHz | 47 X 100.2 MHz | ASUS Z97 Pro Gamer | Enermax Liqmax II 240mm | EVGA GTX 1070Ti OC'd

HOME SERVER | HP ProLiant DL380 G7 | 2x Intel Xeon X5650 | 36GB DDR3 RDIMM | 5x 4TB LFF Seagate Constellation 7.2K | Curcial MX500 250GB | Ubuntu Server 20.04

Just now, Streetguru said:

Are you running the game on the lowest settings?

Do you have single channel memory?

Are you using a fresh windows install?

Run Firestrike or some other benchmark and see what your score is. Compare it to similar CPUs/GPUs.

Try throwing a fan over your VRM if your system might be throttling.

lowest settings

should be running dual channel, guess i should check, idk how to but ill google it xD
not fresh install no, but i have a 120gb ssd with windows on it so its a pretty clean drive, not full of trash (gta on another 1tb wd blue drive btw)
benchmarks seems slightly lower than others but seem okay overall
what vrms??? on the gpu or ???

lowest settings

should be running dual channel, guess i should check, idk how to but ill google it xD
not fresh install no, but i have a 120gb ssd with windows on it so its a pretty clean drive, not full of trash (gta on another 1tb wd blue drive btw)

To understand even if the VRMs are a problem at all, we should try to diagnose with graphs of actual usage of the components; that motherboard has no VRM heatsinks, which is a hint that maybe that's what we should look for, but yet we can't be sure

DESKTOP PC - CPU-Z VALIDi5 4690K @ 4.70 GHz | 47 X 100.2 MHz | ASUS Z97 Pro Gamer | Enermax Liqmax II 240mm | EVGA GTX 1070Ti OC'd

HOME SERVER | HP ProLiant DL380 G7 | 2x Intel Xeon X5650 | 36GB DDR3 RDIMM | 5x 4TB LFF Seagate Constellation 7.2K | Curcial MX500 250GB | Ubuntu Server 20.04

Also, that board looks like having one high side MOSFET and two low side ones per each power phase, which should improve power distribution, therefore splitting the heat between more components compared to a single low side MOSFET per power phase. Though, this also means that they're less efficient, because they're in separate SMD packages, and also because if it wasn't necessary, the manufacturer wouldn't have used more than the components needed, so they could be outputting a higher amount of heat even at lower CPU power consumption compared to other boards

22 minutes ago, Will01 said:

I know that for a fact as ive had the game running before absolutely fine

system restore to a point when it was working correctly

14 minutes ago, LionSpeck said:

Can you post a screenshot of Afterburner graphs for CPU load, clock, temp, power, GPU load, clock, vcore, temp and graphics card power?

low usage!!! 

afterburner screenshot.png

afterburner screenshot 2.png

afterburner screenshot 3.png

Just now, emosun said:

system restore to a point when it was working correctly

that was a long time ago, not possible

that was a long time ago, not possible

then return the machine to the configuration it was in when it was working and this time don't let the drivers do whatever they feel like update wise.

Just now, emosun said:

then return the machine to the configuration it was in when it was working and this time don't let the drivers do whatever they feel like update wise.

this is not possible haha. how am i supposed to do that? 

2 minutes ago, Will01 said:

low usage!!! 

Exactly, strangely a low usage of all of the components; also, another strange thing I notice, is that you've hit some sort of power limit (I'd say it's the GPU's one, being not labeled) twice, even at low usage, voltage and normal clock. Can you try raising the power limit to 120% in Afterburner? Also, can you check (with maybe HWinfo64) the CPU package consumption under load?

3 minutes ago, LionSpeck said:

Exactly, strangely a low usage of all of the components; also, another strange thing I notice, is that you've hit some sort of power limit (I'd say it's the GPU's one, being not labeled) twice, even at low usage, voltage and normal clock. Can you try raising the power limit to 120% in Afterburner? Also, can you check (with maybe HWinfo64) the CPU package consumption under load?

whilst changing the slider for power limit on afterburner, it also moves the temp limit. Is that okay?

Also, the package consumption is max 47W

3 minutes ago, Will01 said:

this is not possible haha.

is your machine different from every other windows machine in some way that we are not aware of? or is your machine exactly the same as every other windows machine.

unless your drive is read only , then any machine can have its os reinstalled. So return the machine to the state it was in when it was working.

Actually, now that I read the graphs again, I notice that you're hitting a voltage limit all the time (which is normal for last generations of Nvidia cards) but you're apparently all the time hitting a load limit, not a power limit (as I first misread)

Just now, emosun said:

is your machine different from every other windows machine in some way that we are not aware of? or is your machine exactly the same as every other windows machine.

unless your drive is read only , then any machine can have its os reinstalled. So return the machine to the state it was in when it was working.

bro im not doing that. otherwise i will lose lots of stuff etc, thats just hassle and i have no idea when it worked etc. doesnt seem like the actual way to fix the problem. 

23 minutes ago, Will01 said:

lowest settings

The VRMs on your motherboard, you have a very low end board with likely low end components on it

only really matters if you're doing heavy overclocking, or if it's so bad it's throttling.

Would have highly suggest the ASrock Pro4 B350/450 over that one though. Probably has the same build just with the different chipset/no heatsink though.

Reinstalling windows is the quickest solution to software issues.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

whilst changing the slider for power limit on afterburner, it also moves the temp limit. Is that okay?

Yes, that is ok, because either way Nvidia GPUs have a narrow voltage limit, so you would never be able to damage it that way. If you don't want to raise that limit you could click on the chain button (or the un-link button, however it's called) and change the power one only, but it'd be better to move both for a troubleshooting purpose

Just now, Will01 said:

bro im not doing that. otherwise i will lose lots of stuff etc, thats just hassle and i have no idea when it worked etc. doesnt seem like the actual way to fix the problem. 

If the problem is software a clean install of windows will fix it.

You can just install it onto your 120GB SSD and not lose anything.

You can make a windows 10 flash drive and install it for free using microsoft's media creation tool. Just hit the "I don't have a key" button while installing.

Spoiler

Just now, Will01 said:

doesnt seem like the actual way to fix the problem. 

so you aren't going to address any software fix at all? the only free repair option?

you rather us blame a hardware component and tell you to replace it and not even attempt to solve the very obvious software issue then correct?

2 minutes ago, LionSpeck said:

Yes, that is ok, because either way Nvidia GPUs have a narrow voltage limit, so you would never be able to damage it that way. If you don't want to raise that limit you could click on the chain button (or the un-link button, however it's called) and change the power one only, but it'd be better to move both for a troubleshooting purpose

ahh, i see the tiny link button now! But yeah, ive just moved both for now

Just now, emosun said:

so you aren't going to address any software fix at all? the only free repair option?

you rather us blame a hardware component and tell you to replace it and not even attempt to solve the very obvious software issue then correct?

i just hate doing system restore to be honest. not trying to be an idiot but im just not doing it. id rather just fully reinstall windows. so that is an option yes

5 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

The VRMs on your motherboard, you have a very low end board with likely low end components on it

only really matters if you're doing heavy overclocking, or if it's so bad it's throttling.

Would have highly suggest the ASrock Pro4 B350/450 over that one though. Probably has the same build just with the different chipset/no heatsink though.

The CPU clock is stable and the temps are chill, so I'd hands down exclude that
Also, the power consumption is really low

which is perfectly handled by that board's VRMs

Edited by LionSpeck

1 minute ago, LionSpeck said:

yeah thats first things i checked also. temps and clocks

1 minute ago, LionSpeck said:

i think the problem is like something to do with the low usage to be honest. that seems weird