Two 8 Pin PCIE Connectors burnt, need tips resoldering.

marvin5881

So I've bought a soldering iron along with some solder and electrical tape. I also have some generic PCIE cables I bought off ebay. I've cut off the burnt connector and the burnt part of the cabling off of the defective cables and I'm wondering what to do to ensure that the wiring is done properly. The power supply that had the cables burn on me was the PC Power and Cooling 1200w Silencer MKIII.

Waiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit a minute.....

Can we get down to the reason why they melted in the first place?  LOL!

It's a really good PSU, very reliable it's made by Super Flower but PC Power Cooling put their brand on it. The real reason why the cables fried is that I was running my R9 295x2 on it. The R9 295x2 as you guys probably know only has two PCI-E Slots and the GPU pulls 500w, which causes a recipe for eventual disaster I've learned.

2 minutes ago, marvin5881 said:

It's a really good PSU, very reliable it's made by Super Flower but PC Power Cooling put their brand on it. The real reason why the cables fried is that I was running my R9 295x2 on it. The R9 295x2 as you guys probably know only has two PCI-E Slots and the GPU pulls 500w, which causes a recipe for eventual disaster I've learned.

What makes you think it won't melt again. 

Also Warranty

My life

I am retiring my R9 295x2 and will be using a more tame GPU that will not overload the PCI-E connectors. Warranty is expired and I would buy a new PSU if I could afford to. Just looking for tips on soldering on PCI-E connectors/cabling and would greatly appreciate it.

12 minutes ago, marvin5881 said:

Umm... I actually use a 295X2.  Have had it since 2014.  Same PSU since then too.  Never burnt a cable.

It's a good PSU with STUPID connectors.  Fix it and they'll melt again.  Those shitty BNC connectors can't support shit for current.  That PSU was made back when a GTX280 was considered a "monster card".

It's been 7 years.  Don't you think it's time to enter the 21st century?

6 minutes ago, Himommies said:

Also Warranty

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to old.  That PSU is considered an antique by computer parts standards.  Like a Voodoo5 card.

2 minutes ago, marvin5881 said:

I am retiring my R9 295x2 and will be using a more tame GPU that will not overload the PCI-E connectors. Warranty is expired and I would buy a new PSU if I could afford to. Just looking for tips on soldering on PCI-E connectors/cabling and would greatly appreciate it.

Like a 1070 or less I hope.

Hard to help without visuals.  Like where is it melted so we can tell you where to splice or if you can just cut and recrimp new pins to the wires, etc.

Wow, I thought they only used BNC's for networking. Here are the pictures.

20180726_180923.jpg

20180726_180853.jpg

The green on the cables looks like corrosion, i think water has got into the connector on the left and caused a short/arcing, burning the connector. i know the gpu has a closed loop, are you water cooling the cpu too?

i'm with @jonnyGURU the power supply should be replaced.

but If you really insist on repairing the cables they should be crimped not soldered. A cheap hobby iron does not have the thermal mass required to properly solder thick gauge wire. A poor solder joint can cause fire.

the safest way to fix would be to crimp on a new pcie connector using the proper tool. but the molex crimp tools cost hundreds of dollars. the next best way would be to use wire crimp connectors(below) with the proper tool(not pliers).

41wHgPHEXCL._SX385_.jpg

1 hour ago, marvin5881 said:

Wow, I thought they only used BNC's for networking. Here are the pictures.

Well.. I called them BNC.  Some people call them COAX.  Some call them aviation.  Whatever they're called, they're shit for this application because their current capability is limited.  They used them strictly for looks. 

What I would do (other than throw the PSU out), is cut the cables below the burn.  Then I would buy pins and connectors from ModDIY or PerformancePCs and crimp on new pins and install new connectors.  I wouldn't splice in connectors from another cable.