Strangest Issue

I'm having an incredibly strange issue with my graphics card and drivers.

Whenever I try and play a game like grand theft auto or any pretty demanding game for that matter, within a couple min of start up the game freezes and crashes.

If I reinstall my graphics card drivers WITHOUT rebooting this fixes the issue for me... Until I reboot.

The GPU isn't over heating, and here are my pc specs:

Ryzen 1800x

GTX 1070 (Asus Strix)

16 gigs of ddr4

Use a monitoring app to log the gpu to see wath triggered the crash. Might be temp, gpu workload, memory usage, ect.

Have you tried underclocking the gpu to see if it's stable?

Might be a faulty gpu if there's still a crash at lower clock.

I've had the GPU for over a year now I'm not sure if it's faulty, but it definitely seems stable once I reinstall the drivers without rebooting, I can even overclock it and it's fine using stress tests.

Hmm,a strange problem indeed.

Even if it is a faulty gpu, explaining the symptoms for an rma and proofing it would be difficult.

Motherboard bios update? Ram checked?

50 minutes ago, msm202 said:

I've had the GPU for over a year now I'm not sure if it's faulty, but it definitely seems stable once I reinstall the drivers without rebooting, I can even overclock it and it's fine using stress tests.

If it's new then rma it but if you bought used and no warranty try reapplying thermal paste 

Firestrike 
i7-8700k @5.0GHz w/ 1.30v, Corsair h100iv2, Gigabye Aorus gaming 7, 16GB(8x2) 2666MHz ddr4, Dual RX470's OC'd to 1390mhz(atm) in corssfire - liguid cooled with corsair h60's, 3.25 TB in Samsung SSD's, anidees white crystal cube case 

Retired:
i5-4440k @3.2GHz, gigabyte ga-z87x-ud5h z87, 24GB DDR3, 3x1TB Seagate Baracuda HDD.

48 minutes ago, O9B0666 said:

If it's new then rma it but if you bought used and no warranty try reapplying thermal paste 

I bought it over a year ago... Idk if it still has a warranty or not its an asus strix

1 hour ago, Tibon said:

Hmm,a strange problem indeed.

Even if it is a faulty gpu, explaining the symptoms for an rma and proofing it would be difficult.

Motherboard bios update? Ram checked?

I just updated the bios no luck.. atleast I can play my games fine if I reinstall my drivers

I think you should claim warranty if it's still covered. Just record your screen crashing and use that as a leverage to your rma claim.