MacBook Pro early 2015 SSD in PC

Hi, 

I while back my Macbook Pro early 2015, had frozen so i so i pressed the start/stop button to turn it off. 

When i tried to reboot the system, the famous blinking question mark appeared. Since my Mac was out of warranty, i had to find a solution myself.

I bought a samsung Evo 960 250 gb and an adapter (apples M.2 interface is different) and whiteout any problems i installed high sierra, i'm working on the macbook without any problems for 8 months now.

A few weeks ago I assembled a new Ryzen system. My motherboard (MSI X370 gaming pro carbon) has two nvme m.2 ports. I ordered a converter, apple interface to m.2. 

I put the drive with adapter in my computer, it shows up in windows diskmanagement, however it asks me to initialise the disk according to an MBR or GPT(GUID) partition style, both options fail. 

When i chose gpt style, it gives me a waring that the disk size is smaller than the minimum required space for a gpt drive. 

In diskpart the "list disk" command indicates a size of 0B instead of the 256 GB and the "detail disk" command indicates a sata disk instead of a NVME device, see picture. 

I also tried a live version of gparted, the disk does not show up in the window, however when i use in command line the "lshw -class disk -class storage -short" commando, it shows up as a device, also with a detail hardware command, it showed up as a samsung disk, which is of course correct, the drive has a Samsung controller. 

Is it possible the drive requires some sort of apple handshake before it gives acces to the storage itself? (i tried gparted on the macbook itself it did not show up)

Anyone an idea to revive this disk? 

Kind regards 

ssd.JPG

IMG_3672.jpeg

Is your adapter NVMe capable? Because M.2 isn't automatically NVMe or PCIe. SATA M.2 drives use the same connector.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

thank you for the replay,

as far as i know, the adapter is a "stupid" passthrough. The seller specifies its for the macbook air 2013 and up, since those drives are NVME (yes?), i suppose it would be NVME capable.

I'm afraid it's just a broken drive, in theory it should work just outside of a mac (despite the need for an adapter). After all, if it weren't broken the problems you had with your macbook would have been really odd.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Hmm, i was affraid this would be the case. however if it is completly death, why can i still see it has a samsung controller on it? 

7 minutes ago, SuperAn said:

Hmm, i was affraid this would be the case. however if it is completly death, why can i still see it has a samsung controller on it? 

Probably because the controller is not the broken part, or maybe it's not completely busted but it can't do its job properly.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

hmm too bad :/, in the meantime the apple-ssd is not at all showing up in the bios "board explorer" (which is weird because windows and linux show it as a 0B drive?)

I also tried the ssd power cycle trick, which did not help.

would it be worth a shot to buy this adapter? This does state to support the macbook pro 2015 drive where the other does not. Personaly i do not think it would make a difference.

I've an update:

The original "broken" apple drive is not NVME, it is AHCI/SATA.

My motherboad does support SATA and NVME in the M.2 slots. 

According to the seller, the adapter only works for SATA drives and only for data and not as a boot device. 

However i still did not manage to fix the drive :/