Is this used (like new) GPU really ok?

Hey, I recently bought this used (like new) 1070 and I read that you should check if the board is discolored which could hint on overheating and use for example in mining.

I attached some pics after screwing off the backplate. I'm not sure if these spots are normal. They're reflecting in certain angles and flash light.

Looks pretty good elsewise. Should I keep it?

Thanks!

Screenshot_20180724-170712__01.jpg

Screenshot_20180724-170710__01.jpg

Screenshot_20180724-170702__01.jpg

Screenshot_20180724-170704__01.jpg

Screenshot_20180724-170657__01.jpg

Screenshot_20180724-170700__01.jpg

Not really looks like the PCB components have been overheated by Bitcoin Mining 24/7 I don't think that it should be an issue unless you will be gaming for more than 5 hours or you will be Bitcoin mining 24/7

From a visual standpoint, I wouldn't take that. I would buy another 1070 elsewhere no matter the price this exceedingly worn-out one has. I've never seen a piece of hardware get this type of wear in my life.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

Yes 1070s now a days are being affected by bitcoin like the RX 460 but now the RX 460 is back to its normal MSRP

2 minutes ago, seoz said:

From a visual standpoint, I wouldn't take that. I would buy another 1070 elsewhere no matter the price this exceedingly worn-out one has. I've never seen a piece of hardware get this type of wear in my life.

That damage is from 24/7 mining bitcoins look at the capacitors and near heat conducting components like the VRAM  

10 minutes ago, Ayuvelo said:

Hey, I recently bought this used (like new) 1070 and I read that you should check if the board is discolored which could hint on overheating and use for example in mining.

I attached some pics after screwing off the backplate. I'm not sure if these spots are normal. They're reflecting in certain angles and flash light.

Looks pretty good elsewise. Should I keep it?

Thanks!

Screenshot_20180724-170712__01.jpg

Screenshot_20180724-170710__01.jpg

Screenshot_20180724-170702__01.jpg

Screenshot_20180724-170704__01.jpg

Screenshot_20180724-170657__01.jpg

Screenshot_20180724-170700__01.jpg

Most damage is from 24/7 mining bitcoin as i said and its not in a very good condition you should buy a new one these 1070s are back at MSRP so buying one shouldn't be hard

Steer away from that card man, too sketchy.

Ryzen 9 3950x - 64 GB DDR4 - NVME 980 pro SSD - EVGA RTX 3080 FTW Ultra - FAD CASE

Full custom loop / links below out of date

LTT Build Log | PCPP Build Log

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry if I stop responding, I've probably gotten busy as I mostly am only on here while working.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

19 minutes ago, TheCosmosAKAtheNerd said:

Yes 1070s now a days are being affected by bitcoin like the RX 460 but now the RX 460 is back to its normal MSRP

Im pretty shure you mean the rx 470/570 and the rx 480/580

Just now, GoldenLag said:

Yes

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

The RX 560/460s are a lot better for a budget 120 dollar GPU I recommend a new 1050 MSI 2gb/4gb low profile if u have an SFF PC the low profile version doesn't require external power

18 minutes ago, jeffmeyer5295 said:

Steer away from that card man, too sketchy.

Yes it's not just sketchy its that it has been used 24/7 mining bitcoin the capacitors the PCB everything 

Damn I was so happy to finally get a new card... The dangers with something like this wear is that the card could die soon, right?

Thanks for your advice.

Just now, Ayuvelo said:

Damn I was so happy to finally get a new card... The dangers with something like this wear is that the card could die soon, right?

Thanks for your advice.

Yes it could soon die

So I dug around a little more and there are not many threads but the ones looking the same as my card led to flux as the answer - the thing that's used to remove excess solder which is not harmful.

It seems likely to me since the seller should be trustworthy and I got the whole box with all accessories, not only the card. I doubt a miner would store the boxes of all cards so they look better when reselling.

Obviously I wanna keep the card so are you guys certain about the heat thing? Cards as far back as 2010 showed the exact same spots. Mining wasn't a thing back then.

2 hours ago, Ayuvelo said:

So I dug around a little more and there are not many threads but the ones looking the same as my card led to flux as the answer - the thing that's used to remove excess solder which is not harmful.

It seems likely to me since the seller should be trustworthy and I got the whole box with all accessories, not only the card. I doubt a miner would store the boxes of all cards so they look better when reselling.

Obviously I wanna keep the card so are you guys certain about the heat thing? Cards as far back as 2010 showed the exact same spots. Mining wasn't a thing back then.

Im not sure but maybe it was overused oe used in things it wasnt meant for like extreme gaming at 4k idk those are my thoughts 

3 hours ago, Ayuvelo said:

is the card working fine?

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Man if that's "like new" then I have a Ferrari parked outside my house.

bet that card was used to mine btc 24/7 for a year in a case with 0 airflow, constantly over 80C for sure considering how that PCB looks

3 hours ago, Ayuvelo said:

I doubt a miner would store the boxes of all cards so they look better when reselling.

really? you don't know people.

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB