Are UPS really important?

Hiten Das

In my local area, load shedding occurs 1-2 times a day. Can it harm my computer if load shedding occurs when i am using the computer? Do i really need a UPS to protect my computer.

I can get better CPU if i skip UPS.

No, as long there is voltage/power spike/drop. It just you will lose any work that is not saved.

Magical Pineapples

7 minutes ago, Hiten Das said:

In my local area, load shedding occurs 1-2 times a day. Can it harm my computer if load shedding occurs when i am using the computer? Do i really need a UPS to protect my computer.

With that frequency (1-2 times a day) UPS is highly recommended. Voltage spikes may be dangerous to your hardware.

12 minutes ago, Hiten Das said:

If you're building a new PC what's your budget/country and parts list?

You probably want a UPS if your power isn't very good.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

52 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

If you're building a new PC what's your budget/country and parts list?

You probably want a UPS if your power isn't very good.

I3 8100

Gigabyte gaming 3 wifi (B360)

256 gb m.2 ssd

2*4gb ddr4 ram

1050ti

500W PSU from Gigabyte (forgot the model name)

1 minute ago, Hiten Das said:

No graphics card? If it's a gaming PC you should get an R3 2200G instead

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

27 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

No graphics card? If it's a gaming PC you should get an R3 2200G instead

1050ti

Forgot to mention

Just now, Hiten Das said:

1050ti

Forgot to mention

I'd still suggest AM4 if the price is the same for the better upgrade path, probably with an ASrock Pro 4 B450 board

Or, possibly just use the APU for now and save the rest of your money, because newer/better GPUs will be coming soon enough.

Spoiler

33 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

I'd still suggest AM4 if the price is the same for the better upgrade path, probably with an ASrock Pro 4 B450 board

Or, possibly just use the APU for now and save the rest of your money, because newer/better GPUs will be coming soon enough.

NVIDIA's upcoming GPUs will not be as budget friendly as cards like 1050ti. They will be lot more expensive.

What do you think?

7 minutes ago, Hiten Das said:

NVIDIA's upcoming GPUs will not be as budget friendly as cards like 1050ti. They will be lot more expensive.

What do you think?

Nvidia is rumored to be launching the mid range/low end cards first. Probably the same for AMD, they're about to refresh polaris again maybe.

But just using the APU also lets you save up for a better GPU, like an RX 570/580 or 1060 6GB that'll do 1080p a good deal better than the 1050ti

Spoiler

1 hour ago, homeap5 said:

With that frequency (1-2 times a day) UPS is highly recommended. Voltage spikes may be dangerous to your hardware.

I can't afford an online UPS. Offline UPS can't protect from over voltage and voltage spike.(what i know)

What problems may i face if i don't use a ups?

6 hours ago, Hiten Das said:

I can't afford an online UPS. Offline UPS can't protect from over voltage and voltage spike.(what i know)

What problems may i face if i don't use a ups?

I'm pretty sure it'll still protect your stuff you just can't shut it off remotely.

Spoiler

What is the duration of the load shedding?

If they black out for 5 or 10 minutes, a UPS is still going to run out of juice and your PC will shut down just the same.  Unless you get a UPS that has software that will allow it to shut down your PC once it detects the it's on battery power.

Or are we talking brown outs that last less than a second?

Does the mains voltage drop or just cut out altogether?

2 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

What is the duration of the load shedding?

If they black out for 5 or 10 minutes, a UPS is still going to run out of juice and your PC will shut down just the same.  Unless you get a UPS that has software that will allow it to shut down your PC once it detects the it's on battery power.

Or are we talking brown outs that last less than a second?

Does the mains voltage drop or just cut out altogether?

No voltage drop. Just cut out and doesn't come in 1 hour. So duration is 1 hour.

Can these harm computer? If yes, how and what harms it can cause?

Every unexpected power loss can lead to data loss / data korruption, a reset, hard shutdown with the power button, electrical spike or power outage could possibly do damage. In worst case scenario it can take out hardware.

1 hour ago, Hiten Das said:

No voltage drop. Just cut out and doesn't come in 1 hour. So duration is 1 hour.

Can these harm computer? If yes, how and what harms it can cause?

yes

those cuts could damage the PSU, you might lose data from hard drives too

and UPS is made to keep the PC on for 5-10 minutes so you can safely turn it off by yourself, it doesn't has to be an expensive online or line interactive model, you could get a normal standby UPS and it'll work too as long as it can provide enough watts to your primary components, the power supply and the monitor

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

Id recommend absolutely getting a ups, we have some weird power here (surges and outages), and it killed my motherboard! Its definitely worth it if you don't want to not have hardware problems... replacing my motherboard cost more then the darn ups would have been.    

Server Rig Specs~
Motherboard: S5520hc Cpu's: two Xeon x5670's @3.3 ghz  Ram: Kingston ddr3 24gigs @1333mhz Psu: Evga Gq1000 Coolers: 2 hyper 212evo Hdd: 2 1tb hdd's Case: Corsair 400c

Gaming Pc Specs~
Motherboard: Asus rog maxumis viii gene Cpu: Skylake i7 6700k @ 4.2ghz Ram: Corsair dominator platinum 32gigs @ 2666mhz Psu: Corsair 1200i Cooler: Corsair 105i Hdd: 5tb wd black Case: Corsair 350d Os: Windows 10 home

23 hours ago, Hiten Das said:

Itslike saying "i can get a better engine if i forego airbags and brakes in a car".

If you get sudden power loss and then power comes back suddenly, there can be surges and undervoltage conditions. 

Data corruption is a bestcase scenario. Worst case is hardware gets damaged. I havent used a PC without a UPS in almost 20 years. Theyre cheap insurance on an expensive piece of equipment.