Cpu overheating but pc shop says it's fine. Nani?

Delete this post, missclick quote instead of edit.

Motherboard: Asus X570-E
CPU: 3900x 4.3GHZ

Memory: G.skill Trident GTZR 3200mhz cl14

GPU: AMD RX 570

SSD1: Corsair MP510 1TB

SSD2: Samsung MX500 500GB

PSU: Corsair AX860i Platinum

On 7/25/2018 at 12:35 PM, ChickenSnitt said:

Then I said no because it wasn't like that, hence the reason I took it back to where I got the parts ordered through and built. Then they tell me if you want to rma you will have to do it yourself. (Asus and intel told me to get the pc shop to do it, not me) 

I then had to explain that I had gotten everything through them and that they have to do it and they asked me what I want to rma!! 

What store did you buy from? You chose the parts individually and then they assembled it for you?
How long have you had the system for?
Do you have some thermal paste so you can try remounting the CPU yourself without needing to take it back to the store?
Do you have the Intel stock cooler that comes with the processor?

14 hours ago, MMKing said:

Get in touch with Corsair regarding the issue, as there seem to be some fault with the cooler. Now there is one issue, since Corsairs product page of the Corsair H100i (which is the cooler you have, if i read correctly.) does not state a rated heat dissipation in wattage. However, the H100i does come with mounting brackets for the Intel socket 2066. This socket supports the I9-7880XE, which is a thermal output of 165W, compared to your i7-6700K thermal output of 91W.

In effect, Corsair guarantees that their cooler will effectively keep a significantly hotter CPU running within Intel specification. I would contact Corsair, explain the situation then take it from there. Seeing as the CPU throttles around 80 degrees C, it's clearly not running within Intel specification at 95 degrees C.

OP said that the problem occurred even with a different CPU cooler. This indicates that the issue may not be with the cooler itself.

14 hours ago, MMKing said:

I'm not sure on Australian consumer laws. But i seriously doubt the original manufacturer will have to handle RMA. You don't call up Bama to replace rotten produce when your local store leave out old bananas, do you?

Under Australian consumer laws you can return a faulty product under warranty to either the store you purchased from or the manufacturer. If it is a major fault, the store will be required to either replace, repair (RMA to manufacturer), or refund the item. The store cannot refuse to help and just send you to the manufacturer. By law the store you purchased from must help you, however most reputable manufacturers will also assist in RMA processing direct with the consumer.

On 7/25/2018 at 12:35 PM, ChickenSnitt said:

I took it back to where I got the parts ordered through and built. Then they tell me if you want to rma you will have to do it yourself.

The store is in breach of Australia's consumer protection laws if they are refusing to assist you with a faulty item. They cannot refuse to help you or send you to the manufacturer.

You can claim a remedy from the retailer if the products do not meet any one or more of the consumer guarantees, with the exception of availability of spare parts and repair facilities.

The retailer can’t refuse to help you by sending you to the manufacturer or importer.
https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/consumer-rights-guarantees/consumer-guarantees#who-to-claim-a-remedy-from

That said, I'm not sure if there is a problem with the cooler itself or if the problem lies elsewhere considering you said it has been tested with another cooler and it still presented the same problem.

From what you've said, it sounds as if the store assembled the computer for you as a paid service. This means if it is indeed a minor problem (such as bad thermal paste/incorrectly applied/incorrectly mounted cooler) then under the warranty provided by the store for the assembly of the machine (assuming it is still under warranty), you are entitled to free repair. This means that perhaps thye should not have charged you the $70 fee when you took it back to them and told them it was overheating. However if they tested/diagnosed the machine and determined there to be 'no fault found', then they are able to charge you for the diagnostic service.

If you have a minor problem with a product or service, the business can choose to give you a free repair instead of a replacement or refund.
https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/consumer-rights-guarantees/repair-replace-refund

If the product is found not to have a problem, you may be required to pay the transport or inspection costs. An estimate of these costs should be provided to you before the product is collected, and the costs must not be inflated in an attempt to deter you from pursuing your claims.
https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/consumer-rights-guarantees/repair-replace-refund

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

On 25/07/2018 at 10:52 PM, AngryBeaver said:

What is the name of the shop? Did you ask to speak with a manager (specifically a key holding manager). It is pretty apparent these people just aren't quality technicians and I would make sure the manager understands your frustration with this. Honestly, I don't buy prebuilt, but in this situation I would tell him to just take back the whole damn PC and issue me a full refund... then I would take that cash and buy elsewhere. Then again not everyone can pull that type of thing off, I just tend to be a little more "persuasive" than others

I talked to everyone, the boss built my pc too. They are just really lazy and tried to take advantage. I wouldn't be able to pull that off haha.

The shop is called phaser computers and it's in Gosford. They are doing the rma now and I have stuff on my hdd. 

CPU - i7 6700kMotherboard - Asus Maximus Hero VIII,  RAM - G.Skills 2400 16gb (2x8gb),  GPU - Gtx 980 ti Strix,  Storage - Samsung 500gb m.2 ssd, Seagate 3tb NAS sataII,  PSU - Seasonic bronze 650x,  Display(s) - Acer Xb271hu,  Cooling - H100i GTX,  Keyboard - Octane RGB,  Mouse - Logitech G502,  Sound - Logitech G560 Lightsync,  Operating System - Windows 10 Home

On 25/07/2018 at 11:56 PM, MMKing said:

Get in touch with Corsair regarding the issue, as there seem to be some fault with the cooler. Now there is one issue, since Corsairs product page of the Corsair H100i (which is the cooler you have, if i read correctly.) does not state a rated heat dissipation in wattage. However, the H100i does come with mounting brackets for the Intel socket 2066. This socket supports the I9-7880XE, which is a thermal output of 165W, compared to your i7-6700K thermal output of 91W.

In effect, Corsair guarantees that their cooler will effectively keep a significantly hotter CPU running within Intel specification. I would contact Corsair, explain the situation then take it from there. Seeing as the CPU throttles around 80 degrees C, it's clearly not running within Intel specification at 95 degrees C.

I'm not sure on Australian consumer laws. But i seriously doubt the original manufacturer will have to handle RMA. You don't call up Bama to replace rotten produce when your local store leave out old bananas, do you?

They ordered all my parts mate and they built it. I said they swapped the cooler too but you don't read. Rma even says take it back to who ordered your parts or go through who you bought it from if you built it your self. 

And as for the guy that said to get a full refund. Stop fucking around.

CPU - i7 6700kMotherboard - Asus Maximus Hero VIII,  RAM - G.Skills 2400 16gb (2x8gb),  GPU - Gtx 980 ti Strix,  Storage - Samsung 500gb m.2 ssd, Seagate 3tb NAS sataII,  PSU - Seasonic bronze 650x,  Display(s) - Acer Xb271hu,  Cooling - H100i GTX,  Keyboard - Octane RGB,  Mouse - Logitech G502,  Sound - Logitech G560 Lightsync,  Operating System - Windows 10 Home

The thing that worries me is that they said it is ok at 95, and I had to say what to rma because they were mumbling like zombies.

They shouldn't even have a shop like that.

A i7 6700k gets crazy hot if multi core enhancement is enabled. 

Asus Maximus Hero VIII has it enabled by default.

Even without multi core enhancement mine ran hotter stock than the i7 8086k I replaced it with & that is with a 5ghz overclock on all cores on the same cooler. 

On air, only a Noctua nh-d15 or equivalent can keep temps under control. 

Any time you buy a prebuilt or laptop you should run Prime95. If it fails, take it back,

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

Just now, jones177 said:

Nice pick up. I forgot that some Asus boards had this.

@ChickenSnitt If you are still in possession of the system, go in to your BIOS settings in to the "Extreme Tweaker" page and disable the "MultiCore Enhancement" setting.

image.png.16565df7f21dfb943c09a7e29f83194c.png

ASUS MultiCore Enhancement [Auto]

[Auto]

This item allows you to maximize the oveclocking performance optimized

by ASUS core ratio settings.

[Disabled]

This item allows you to set to default core ratio settings

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/MAXIMUS_VIII_HERO/E10343_MAXIMUS_VIII_HERO_UM_WEB.pdf

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

On 27/07/2018 at 3:02 PM, jones177 said:

Even without multi core enhancement mine ran hotter stock than the i7 8086k I replaced it with & that is with a 5ghz overclock on all cores on the same cooler. 

On air, only a Noctua nh-d15 or equivalent can keep temps under control. 

Any time you buy a prebuilt or laptop you should run Prime95. If it fails, take it back,

I got them to order the parts and build it. So it wasn't pre-built. I ran prime95 with it on auto and with it on off and there is next to no difference.

They told me it's not the cooler so I got them to rma the motherboard and cpu.

They couldn't figure it out and give me a straight answer. I went back 3 times...

They kept blaming programs like driver booster and cc cleaner when the startup and auto options were off and when they uninstalled them, it was the same shit lol

If I get a new cpu and motherboard, and the temps still rise, then they lied about the cooler. I'll sit tight and see if that happens. It should be fine after that. Otherwise I'll go somewhere else and report this shop for pretending to be professionals.