Hard Drive Permissions

lifegotdead

Hey,

I borrowed my friends hard drive to transfer service some files to my pc but was wondering if it would show my pc in the permissions as I had to click gain access to the hdd.

If it does will it show my pcs name or just some numbers?

Any help is appreciated.

LGD

Hello lifegotdead,

The drive when in use as a secondary drive will behave just like a secondary drive regardless if it had an operating system installed, you should be able to see all files under the specific folder where the files are located, e.g. C:\Users\yourfriendusername\Desktop. 

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

Thanks for that info, I just wondered if when he plugs it back in to his pc it would only show his system in the permissions or if it would show both.

I only ask as his family don't approve of him sharing it for some reason and keep an eye on it.

9 minutes ago, lifegotdead said:

Hey,

I borrowed my friends hard drive to transfer service some files to my pc but was wondering if it would show my pc in the permissions as I had to click gain access to the hdd.

If it does will it show my pcs name or just some numbers?

Any help is appreciated.

LGD

It will show up under properties for the files/folders on there as something like Account Unknown (S-1-5-21-00000000-00000000-00000000-1000) on his machine. Because your account properties won't be registered on his machine, he won't know anything about your account other than the permissions your SID has on those files/folders.

It won't show a user account name or any identifying information from your PC.

Just now, lifegotdead said:

Thanks for that info, I just wondered if when he plugs it back in to his pc it would only show his system in the permissions or if it would show both.

I only ask as his family don't approve of him sharing it for some reason and keep an eye on it.

See my previous post. There will be properties showing an account has access that is unknown on their own machine, but it will not be identifiable beyond that. 

However, if this is a major problem, you can remove the permissions before you give the drive back.

3 minutes ago, lifegotdead said:

I don't think so, I have moved drives between computers just to grab a file and then put it back to where it was at ease with no problems.

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

9 minutes ago, Tabs said:

See my previous post. There will be properties showing an account has access that is unknown on their own machine, but it will not be identifiable beyond that. 

However, if this is a major problem, you can remove the permissions before you give the drive back.

How do I do that?

6 minutes ago, lifegotdead said:

How do I do that?

Did you need to give yourself access to the whole drive or just a specific folder? 

If you had to give access to the whole drive it's a lot easier, since you just right click on the drive in Explorer, click Properties, then the "security" tab. Click "edit", select your username (or username(s) if multiple have had their ACL's added) then click "remove".

If you had to do this separately for each folder, you'll have to remember which folders you had to give yourself access to and follow the procedure above for all of them.

It was the whole drive so I'll give that a go.

Thanks for the help!