How can I know what I'm paying for FloatPlane

Never mind, I decide to send an email to float plane directly, how can I delete this.

---------------

Wendell went to LTT last week and I'm hoping to watch the Looking Glass video. However it is not on the YouTube yet even after so many days. I searched around and saw people said that is on FloatPlane, then I went to the website and got zero information about what's going on on FloatPlane except asking me for money.

1. www.floatplane.com doesn't give any information about its association with LTT, I don't even sure I went to the right website until I saw "Sign in with LTT forum", which hidden under "More sign-in option". I mean, could you at least make an about page for this site, so that people won't scratching their head before they decide to create an account.

2. After login, I couldn't find any information about what I'm about to pay for. Could you at least give some detail (thumbnails or titles or short introduction) about what this payment is? The "Description: Basic package for Linus Tech Tips" makes no sense to users. For me, I would like to watch the Looking Glass video, and I don't even know if I can get that video after I paid. 

I mean floatplane is still really early alpha stages.

You can always get a refund from support/or even on credit card company if you don't really like the service.

The main reason there isn't any information on www.floatplane.com because its just login page. I am pretty sure there are still working on front page and alot of aspect of floatplane. This was worst before when it was just sub forum and most people couldn't find it.

"Description: Basic package for Linus Tech Tips" How hard is it to get? You pay for which creator you want to watch. This is not service when you pay to watch just one video but have access early content.

If you Google floatplane LTT this is what you get in search results which isn't hard to understand.

Magical Pineapples

2 hours ago, CooperY said:

Never mind, I decide to send an email to float plane directly, how can I delete this.

---------------

Wendell went to LTT last week and I'm hoping to watch the Looking Glass video. However it is not on the YouTube yet even after so many days. I searched around and saw people said that is on FloatPlane, then I went to the website and got zero information about what's going on on FloatPlane except asking me for money.

1. www.floatplane.com doesn't give any information about its association with LTT, I don't even sure I went to the right website until I saw "Sign in with LTT forum", which hidden under "More sign-in option". I mean, could you at least make an about page for this site, so that people won't scratching their head before they decide to create an account.

2. After login, I couldn't find any information about what I'm about to pay for. Could you at least give some detail (thumbnails or titles or short introduction) about what this payment is? The "Description: Basic package for Linus Tech Tips" makes no sense to users. For me, I would like to watch the Looking Glass video, and I don't even know if I can get that video after I paid. 

Floatplane is still mostly beta but open to the public. They acknowledge that the site still misses some information but they are actively working on the issues.

Most information on Floatplane you will find here in the forum on the following link; https://linustechtips.com/main/store/

LMG and Floatplane intentionally are keeping at a distance as mentioned by linus for various reasons.

2 hours ago, TimsTips said:

Don't delete it. It's still a valid point and they still need to add some content on there.

I went to join one day and ran into the same problem. I didn't email them - I just left.

Correct, We do prefer not to delete helpful posts that others can see if they have the same questions.

1 hour ago, MrUnknownEMC said:

I mean floatplane is still really early alpha stages.

You can always get a refund from support/or even on credit card company if you don't really like the service.

The main reason there isn't any information on www.floatplane.com because its just login page. I am pretty sure there are still working on front page and alot of aspect of floatplane. This was worst before when it was just sub forum and most people couldn't find it.

"Description: Basic package for Linus Tech Tips" How hard is it to get? You pay for which creator you want to watch. This is not service when you pay to watch just one video but have access early content.

If you Google floatplane LTT this is what you get in search results which isn't hard to understand.

Yup :) 

@CooperY

If you have any issues with Floatplane go here; https://linustechtips.com/main/announcement/43-floatplane-support/

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

2 hours ago, MrUnknownEMC said:

Because if I don't know the content this creator provides, I won't paid him/her. FloatPlane doesn't give any information before one pay, isn't it? Just because it is cheap, doesn't mean people would like to pay.

38 minutes ago, CooperY said:

Because if I don't know the content this creator provides, I won't paid him/her. FloatPlane doesn't give any information before one pay, isn't it? Just because it is cheap, doesn't mean people would like to pay.

It said right there "Linus Tech Tips"

Magical Pineapples

7 hours ago, MrUnknownEMC said:

It said right there "Linus Tech Tips"

So what, not every LTT video is good, and I don't watch everything they provide. I subscribe because they have some interesting videos and projects, if there is only little content on FloatPlane that interests me then why subscribe, right? This is not something about personal worship, isn't it? They are content creators, and provide content, good and consistent content brings credibility, but if contents go down, credibility go down, if no idea about what content would be, then how can credibility come?

DRM-free, ad-free? not my concern as long as they stay in a non-aggressive way. Content is the real juice, those ad-free thing are just bonus.

Edit: To be clear, the payment page on FloatPlane says nothing, and DRM-free, ad-free features are listed in forum purchase page. Not that I won't pay the 3$ (say if contents are interesting), but that I pay because of contents, not because of DRM-free or ad-free feature (nice to have but not the point of purchase). 

So what, not every LTT video is good, and I don't watch everything they provide. I subscribe because they have some interesting videos and projects, if there is only little content on FloatPlane that interests me then why subscribe, right? This is not something about personal worship, isn't it? They are content creators, and provide content, good and consistent content brings credibility, but if contents go down, credibility go down, if no idea about what content would be, then how can credibility come?

DRM-free, ad-free? not my concern as long as they stay in a non-aggressive way. Content is the real juice, those ad-free thing are just bonus.

No one is forcing you to watch every video that LTT post... FloatPlane is essentially early access to content which will be eventually on Youtube (usually 1 week before youtube release unless it time critical - ie hardware releases). No one is forcing you to subscribe. No one is forcing you to worship someone. You can pretty much look at LTT  on youtube content(or anyone who is on floatplane), it is essentially a "EARLY ACCESS TO VIDEOs and some behind the scene video which might not get released on youtube".

The reason they are making this platforms is also because how YouTube is currently treating youtubers, I am pretty sure LTT is making this in-case something happens to Youtube. There is like more than 20 people working/employed at LTT and if suddenly if Youtube either shut down they would essentially lose their business in a few days if there can't post video and get money from advertisements. 

Hosting a video service is not free and you can find many article that Youtube is not making much money from ads. This is early access video platform which allow you pay for early content.

I believed after they fix up all the kinks there will release a trail/free tier(basically another a video platform where you buy for early content and maybe in future also host free content like YouTube).

Magical Pineapples

We do know that there are issues with floatplane's presentation, but the reality is that it's not ready for primetime yet, and we'd rather wait until it is to start banging a drum about it.

I'm really glad to hear that you've heard about it and that you're interested though :)

Floatplane (for LTT) is just LTT a week early + some exclusives (And you can download all the videos for free). If you don't think it's worth it, don't pay for it and just watch what you want on YouTube. No ads.

They also have Bitwit and one other channel on there. More will come as development progresses.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

7 hours ago, CooperY said:

To be fair, its much nicer landing page than most websites in alpha-face. Its not going to be landing page forever, Luke has showcased ACTUAL landing page long time ago. So htere's real one coming which would explain what service is and give examples who's on it.

6 hours ago, CooperY said:

if there is only little content on FloatPlane that interests me then why subscribe, right? This is not something about personal worship, isn't it? They are content creators, and provide content, good and consistent content brings credibility, but if contents go down, credibility go down, if no idea about what content would be, then how can credibility come?

Floatplane is meant is extension of Youtube. Not being under Googles ToS and advertising wall, more free. As for whose on there, I don't think there would be listing done even after its fully launched. I think they might have creator search. Its meant more for fans of creators so you would have heard/read about it in places where you usually watch creator. Like Youtube. Both Tech Deals and Bitwit (the other creators besides LMG) have Floatplane mentioned in video descriptions.

And since Floatplane subscription model is per-creator, you only pay for single creator you support. So $3 for LMG, $3 for Bitwit and $3 for Tech Deals. I would imagine all this is better explained once they add actual landing page. And if not, you can see me bugging them until that info is added. For now I would like them to have warning about service being in alpha phase on landing page.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv