Local College Server

I’m looking to make my current computer into a server/work computer throughout my college campus for me as my laptop will have little storage and want the laptop to sync back to the server or access files from it.

does not need to go beyond the college network

what software should I use. I’m looking for free software, I’m cool with what is built into windows but I have no clue how to set this up.  

I think you're overthinking your problem. You have a small amount of storage on your laptop. Buy an external hard drive or use a cloud storage service, such as Google Drive or OneDrive.

Also, I doubt that your college would permit you to run a server on their network.

Stop and think a second, something is more than nothing.

Well technically it's saving money. I recommend running Ubuntu server as its base os. And creating a share, I can't remember what the add on was called.

The geek himself.

30 minutes ago, Matcom1300 said:

I’m looking to make my current computer into a server/work computer throughout my college campus for me as my laptop will have little storage and want the laptop to sync back to the server or access files from it.

does not need to go beyond the college network

what software should I use. I’m looking for free software, I’m cool with what is built into windows but I have no clue how to set this up.  

some linux distro as linux is a muli-user os

1 hour ago, chiller15 said:

I think you're overthinking your problem. You have a small amount of storage on your laptop. Buy an external hard drive or use a cloud storage service, such as Google Drive or OneDrive.

Also, I doubt that your college would permit you to run a server on their network.

I don’t think they would know, it would just be my desktop sharing files to my laptop within the school network.

also I don’t want to bring around a hard drive, as I want to be small and light weight with little extra stuff. Plus then all my work done on the laptop would be on the desktop. Locally stored. But yes cloud would be an option. But I would need to upload a bunch of stuff as well that I already have locally stored 

22 hours ago, Matcom1300 said:

I don’t think they would know, it would just be my desktop sharing files to my laptop within the school network.

also I don’t want to bring around a hard drive, as I want to be small and light weight with little extra stuff. Plus then all my work done on the laptop would be on the desktop. Locally stored. But yes cloud would be an option. But I would need to upload a bunch of stuff as well that I already have locally stored 

A 2.5" external hard drive isn't exactly cumbersome.

What I meant was, where would the server by physically located? If it's in your classroom, your tutor know about it. If it's in your dorm/halls, you probably won't be able to connect to it. Chances are that their network is VLAN'd and subnetted, so you wouldn't be able to talk to another device on another network.

Stop and think a second, something is more than nothing.

Google drive? A USB? 

Personally I used teamviewer to play world of Warcraft across the campus but that’s just me. 

I think I’ve figured it out. As the huge laptop I have (to big to use portable, like a portable desktop basically) I am 90% sure I’m selling as I have an offer and I said yes to it, means I can build a desktop i7 8700k with no GPU as I’ll grab the surfacebook 2 i5 8GB 256SSD so I should have enough space to put programs on some local files and cloud everything then the desktop I can also work off. And just save for a GPU later