Games load slowly after resuming from hibernation

williamcll

My laptop seems to struggle to load games after resuming from hibernation, I've ran windows update and loaded the latest official drivers as well as running sfc /scannow and DISM but I don't see any changes. I'm not sure where the issue lie. My games are installed on the Hard disk.
Laptop: Gigabyte P34W
Bios version: FB08
image.png.ff5828dd5ad7ca314baf3f9ace41d4ab.png
SSD info:
image.thumb.png.bb6dbf101c4703b80e2792961be4c71f.png
HDD info:
image.thumb.png.95f439d0ae1784d7ea5241051227affd.png

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

System will take small amount of time to re-establish services and gain stability. Quite normal. Especially with the spec.

Probably gaming or helping technophobes with tech...

It's most likely not a problem with your HDD or SSD.

It's mostly just because, when hibernating the system loads all the cache and memory into one of the drives, (whichever is partitioned for it) and it takes a bit to load all of that back into the RAM and the drive caches.

Please quote me or @ me in your response so I get a notification.                                                                       I really really really really like small text.

Occupation: Gamer | Hours: 24/7 Full-Time | Hourly Pay: 0 | Benefits: Chick Magnet

FINISHED BUILD - VIEW PROFILE

If you say I'm not always right, but I am, I will say I am right. 

rekt

this isn't quite a solution, but more of a workaround....

just don't use hibernation. 

ever since win95 introduced sleep/hibernation, i've found that it took so long to wake up and become fully operational again (not to mention how often it would just crash and fail to wake up, though that's not as much of a problem now) that simply powering fully off and restarting wasn't any slower.

if you're booting from an SSD, it's even more pronounced. my new computer cold-boots in... (tests) 17 seconds or so, and is fully ready to go immediately. heck, the monitor was still warming up and the first screen i even saw was the desktop.

You know the odd thing is that I didn't have this problem around 5 months ago, additonally, sometimes windows explorer also takes a long time to open folders after hibernation.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

windows explorer is simply demonstrating the same effect that your games are experiencing. something that causes games to load more slowly will cause everything else to load more slowly as well, because games aren't really different than windows explorer, as far as the disk is concerned when loading them: it's all just data to read.

perhaps some program you've "recently" (eg in the last 5 months) installed? or perhaps an accumulation of programs? do you have a good amount of free space on the drive that windows is installed on?

do you have more programs running? either actively or in the background/system tray? the more it has to save and reload to hibernate or wake up, the longer it will take.

i'm assuming that windows originally loaded from the SSD. have you reinstalled the system recently and moved it to the mechanical drive? or changed some system files to be stored on the mechanical drive?

image.png.c08fddbf3bacfcf89d29581d40f5be4a.png
These are my programs, I have never installed the OS on the Hard drive, however, microsoft office 365 is Mklink from C to D drive
image.thumb.png.7066d464f5efc6adb752b017449c220c.png

i was asking what's RUNNING (what's in the system tray, next to the clock), not what's just installed. 

free disk space looks good on both drives.

on the side, replacing D: with a larger storage device, or adding another drive to the system wouldn't hurt, just because it's getting close to 3/4 full already. however, that's a "to do in the future" sort of thing, and it won't affect your current complaint either way.

3 hours ago, tzxazrael said:

i was asking what's RUNNING (what's in the system tray, next to the clock), not what's just installed. 

free disk space looks good on both drives.

on the side, replacing D: with a larger storage device, or adding another drive to the system wouldn't hurt, just because it's getting close to 3/4 full already. however, that's a "to do in the future" sort of thing, and it won't affect your current complaint either way.

These are my running process while my game is running, I seem to get this issue too when I start the computer up rather than just resuming from hibernation
image.thumb.png.d734e70cd8424ffdad251cf1945d9c57.png

image.png.cb557e780e23a56defd5a73ac481ec54.png

this corner here, next to your clock, is called the "system tray". this is where programs running in the background (that aren't just system services) will [usually] drop an icon. (if you take a pic of it, also remember to click the little arrow to show any hidden icons)

programs running entirely in the background are usually things like automatic updaters, or windows components that you generally don't want to mess with.

also i note you have World of Tanks running, and a bunch of chrome tabs. do you close those out before hibernating? because those are all "big" memory items, which will take up a lot more time to save/load each time you hibernate.

image.png.04ab09bc8915ce583d758d888878476a.pngas well as battery, volume, network and wargaming updater, and no I don't close them before hibernating, mostly because it wasn't causing issues a few months ago.