Is it possible to switch from a 768p panel to a 1080p panel?

Hi Community,

(Laptop being Acer Aspire A515-51G)

I know I really should probably ask this on the Acer website, but there hasn't been many replies or people asking the same question.

Provided that my current laptop has an eDP cable that can support a 1080p model (with 2 lanes, compared to 1 for my current display), I should be able to upgrade from a 768p TN panel to a 1080 IPS panel with no issues right? I'm just afraid that my motherboard or GPU wouldn't recognize it as a 1080p panel and run it at some god awful resolution instead. 

And yes, my model of laptop does have a 1080p model variant but with an i5-7200u (not that that really matters I think) but the 768p one with an 8th gen i5 was much cheaper so I got it instead.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Specs:

Acer Aspire A515-51G-51Z7

CPU: i5-8250u @ 1.6GHz 

RAM: 8GB DDR4-2400

SSD: 256GB M.2 SATA III

GPU: 940MX

Links:

Specs for 1080p variant with i5-7200u: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/model/NX.GS3EK.001

My current display as reported by AIDA: http://www.panelook.com/N156BGA-EB2_Innolux_15.6_LCM_overview_28556.html 

The display that I wish to install: http://www.panelook.com/LP156WF4-SPU1_LG Display_15.6_LCM_overview_20271.html 

8 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

It should, as long as the cable used to connect the display to the mainboard has the same pinout. I have no reason to believe those are standardized but you never know.

Thanks, I'll look for some more replies to be sure, but I've checked and they are both 30 pin eDP connectors so it should be fine

2 minutes ago, James Evens said:

If the world would be this simple.

If the connector is the same there are still some problems with eDP lanes:

- how many eDP lanes has the cable

- how many eDP lanes has the connector

- how many eDP lanes does the panel want

I'm not too worried about eDP lanes, if anything I'd easily switch it out for a 2 lane connector. I know my MB is the same as all other models with a 1080p variant, and the panel wants 2 lanes (as compared to 1). It should all be fine, I may just need a new cable along with it. Thanks for the precaution though.

4 minutes ago, James Evens said:

My Lenovo s440 (HD+) needed the cable from the s540 if you upgraded it to a high end 1080p panel. 

Since your notebook is also avaible with 1080p i guess your cable is capable of 2 lanes. Just try if it runs before ordering a new cable.

Yep, I'm just making this title ages in advance before I actually do it, as I am not risking my warranty (because you know I can be a Linus sometimes)

You can ask for help in NBR forums. There's a guy called t456 which is expert in laptop panels

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128