Upgrading to higher capacity, but slower ram.

Hello, I have a probably dumb question but I can't seem to find any good answers on the Google. 

I have an Acer Nitro 5 with a i5-8300U and I'm wanting to put 16gb of ram in it. The thing is, I found some cheap 2400mhz ddr4 locally. It's a 2x8 kit. 

My laptop Currently uses 1x8gb 2666mhz. 

Would I notice a drop in performance? Is it worth it to gain capacity but get slower speeds?

I'm not much of a RAM nerd.. so this is out of my scope. TIA

That probably won't make much of a difference that you will ever notice. 16gb will always trump a slightly slower mhz 8gb of ram. 

Edit: Also depends on if you're actually going to use more than 8gigs anyways. 

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

5 minutes ago, Ratburger08 said:

Hello, I have a probably dumb question but I can't seem to find any good answers on the Google. 

I have an Acer Nitro 5 with a i5-8300U and I'm wanting to put 16gb of ram in it. The thing is, I found some cheap 2400mhz ddr4 locally. It's a 2x8 kit. 

Would I notice a drop in performance? Is it worth it to gain capacity but get slower speeds?

Only do this if you run an application(s) that requires more than 8 GB of RAM.  Upgrading to 16 won't make your computer faster unless you are running out of RAM for the system to use.

Why won't you just buy 1 additional 8GB 2666 mhz sodimm? It would be cheaper and you would get the best of both worlds.

I've just noticed that on some games, I've seen system memory usage of up to 7gb and I don't want to end up in a page file situation. 

The only reason I'd be going with the local 16gb kit is because for both sticks it's actually cheaper than buying one 8gb stick of 2666.

Unless I can find a used 2666 8gb stick for under 70 dollars. Then maybe. 

18 minutes ago, Ratburger08 said:

barely anything, the i5-8300u has dual channel so you would actually see an increase in performance even if you are only using 8gb or less

For Intel systems, RAM speed makes no practical difference in terms of performance for most applications. The only time I've seen it make a difference is iGPU performance and file compression (at least for use cases that I can see the everyman doing).

However, one thing to consider, and it's just me going "if I were this person...." is if you even need more RAM. RAM does not automagically make your system better unless you're constantly running out of it.

13 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

For Intel systems, RAM speed makes no practical difference in terms of performance for most applications. The only time I've seen it make a difference is iGPU performance and file compression (at least for use cases that I can see the everyman doing).

However, one thing to consider, and it's just me going "if I were this person...." is if you even need more RAM. RAM does not automagically make your system better unless you're constantly running out of it.

And part of this is me wanting to A: make sure I don't run out of ram in any given case, and B: fill up an empty ram slot because it bugs me that there's no ram in it. ? I'm just making sure that there's not going to be any performance degradation by doing so. 

And yes I know more ram won't make my laptop faster, that much I can surmise from at least my PC experience.