Could my psu be dying?

J400
Go to solution Solved by Lord Nicoll,
14 minutes ago, J400 said:

I considered that it might get pretty high power consumtion, but i didn't think it would be anywhere near 550 watts. I have been using the 780 ti for maybe 3 months now. Im considering testing the psu in another system to see if it does the same thing. Ill make sure to post the results

Without testing it, it's hard to know actual power usage, however under load power can peak to a lot, a PSU also has a peak output rating, my RM850X can probably handle 1000 watts briefly but if it lasted longer than a threshold time it would turn off, however peaks at typically only there for milliseconds, it's reasonable to say the unit might have just been peaked to much, or just manufacturing tolerances in the components. The 780 Ti can be power hungry if let, but unless you shunt modded it, It should pull back at about 250 watts,  more if overclocked. 

Hi, as of today, i started having issues getting my pc to turn on. To start with, i fisrt moved my pc to another room. After plugging everything in, pressing the start button prompted no response from the computer

No lights or fan movement. After careful inspection and making sure everything was plugged in properly and a few more attempts, i tried a different power outlet, and the system booted right away. I concluded it was a problem with the outlet and moved on. However, once i moved the pc back to the original room i had it, it did the exact same thing. Plugging it in would cause the lights to flash and fans to spin for a split second. Pressing the power button yeilded no response whatsoever. Once again, i carefully inspected everything, and even tried another outlet. Nothing changed. After this, i tried different power cables, unplugging the power switch and attempting to arc the power header with a screw driver (yes i have done this before), and could not get anything to work. I unplugged my gpu, and then plgged it back in (without the pcie power connectors), and it mysteriously  booted normally. However, since the gpu was not being powered, and my cpu doesnt have an igpu, i did not have a signal. However I was unable to recreate this outcome after multiple attempts using the same scenario. But one thing that is strange to me, is that after turning off the psu power switch, it continues to flash the lights and fans randomly. This leads me to believe that the power supply is the culprit, but i figured I would run it by here to see if anyone might have any advice. No i do not have another psu to troubleshoot with.                                                                          My specs: Ryzen 7 1700, Msi b350m pro gaming, 16 gb gskill ripjaws, wd blue 250gb m.2 ssd, corsair cx550m psu. Thank you for your help.

9 minutes ago, J400 said:

Hi, as of today, i started having issues getting my pc to turn on. To start with, i fisrt moved my pc to another room. After plugging everything in, pressing the start button prompted no response from the computer

No lights or fan movement. After careful inspection and making sure everything was plugged in properly and a few more attempts, i tried a different power outlet, and the system booted right away. I concluded it was a problem with the outlet and moved on. However, once i moved the pc back to the original room i had it, it did the exact same thing. Plugging it in would cause the lights to flash and fans to spin for a split second. Pressing the power button yeilded no response whatsoever. Once again, i carefully inspected everything, and even tried another outlet. Nothing changed. After this, i tried different power cables, unplugging the power switch and attempting to arc the power header with a screw driver (yes i have done this before), and could not get anything to work. I unplugged my gpu, and then plgged it back in (without the pcie power connectors), and it mysteriously  booted normally. However, since the gpu was not being powered, and my cpu doesnt have an igpu, i did not have a signal. However I was unable to recreate this outcome after multiple attempts using the same scenario. But one thing that is strange to me, is that after turning off the psu power switch, it continues to flash the lights and fans randomly. This leads me to believe that the power supply is the culprit, but i figured I would run it by here to see if anyone might have any advice. No i do not have another psu to troubleshoot with.                                                                          My specs: Ryzen 7 1700, Msi b350m pro gaming, 16 gb gskill ripjaws, wd blue 250gb m.2 ssd, corsair cx550m psu. Thank you for your help.

Uh, what's your GPU?

Yours faithfully

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

9 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

Uh, what's your GPU?

Gtx 780 ti, sorry for missing that one lol.

2 minutes ago, J400 said:

Gtx 780 ti, sorry for missing that one lol.

Hmm, power hungry boi. Thats a lot of load indeed, I've seen the CXm series in general die after a while in high load PCs, so maybe, though it seems to be more of a power up problem, Maybe the boot strap in the PSU that kick starts the controller system is fucked, hard to say. Buying a new 650 watt unit might be a good idea, and would leave more for an upgrade to a new GPU down the road. 

Yours faithfully

7 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

Hmm, power hungry boi. Thats a lot of load indeed, I've seen the CXm series in general die after a while in high load PCs, so maybe, though it seems to be more of a power up problem, Maybe the boot strap in the PSU that kick starts the controller system is fucked, hard to say. Buying a new 650 watt unit might be a good idea, and would leave more for an upgrade to a new GPU down the road. 

I considered that it might get pretty high power consumtion, but i didn't think it would be anywhere near 550 watts. I have been using the 780 ti for maybe 3 months now. Im considering testing the psu in another system to see if it does the same thing. Ill make sure to post the results

14 minutes ago, J400 said:

Without testing it, it's hard to know actual power usage, however under load power can peak to a lot, a PSU also has a peak output rating, my RM850X can probably handle 1000 watts briefly but if it lasted longer than a threshold time it would turn off, however peaks at typically only there for milliseconds, it's reasonable to say the unit might have just been peaked to much, or just manufacturing tolerances in the components. The 780 Ti can be power hungry if let, but unless you shunt modded it, It should pull back at about 250 watts,  more if overclocked. 

Yours faithfully

12 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

I managed to get it working again before i pulled the psu out. I had a decent overclock dialed in on my 1700 with 3.9ghz at 1.35 volts. I reset the bios pondering your previous comment. After that, it works fine. I am also going to mess around with undervolting my 780 as well. I remember a jayz2cents video where he was overclocking an fx chip and he talked about how the system startup can push very high wattage for just a split second, so i figured my settings might be a little much for my psu, since i used ryzen master for my overclcok and havent actually reset it in quite a while. Thanks for your help :D

1 minute ago, J400 said:

I managed to get it working again before i pulled the psu out. I had a decent overclock dialed in on my 1700 with 3.9ghz at 1.35 volts. I reset the bios pondering your previous comment. After that, it works fine. I am also going to mess around with undervolting my 780 as well. I remember a jayz2cents video where he was overclocking an fx chip and he talked about how the system startup can push very high wattage for just a split second, so i figured my settings might be a little much for my psu, since i used ryzen master for my overclcok and havent actually reset it in quite a while. Thanks for your help :D

The Msi b350m pro gaming is probably not the best board for a 1700 either, tbh the VRM is pretty awful, so it could even have the VRM hitting OCP (over current protection). Maybe consider looking for a new board instead of a new PSU if that's the case. B350 boards where more targeted at the R3 and R5 series, while some can handle R7's, some can't, so it's hard to say if it's PSU or motherboard. 

Yours faithfully

1 hour ago, Lord Nicoll said:

No, that's not the issue. That system draws maybe 400W.

1 hour ago, J400 said:

What this sounds like is a dead motherboard. It may have been caused by a PSU killing it, but it sounds identical to previous problems I've had with motherboards and CPUs dying on me. The CX550M is a decent unit and should have been able to power your system with OC.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

12 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

No, that's not the issue. That system draws maybe 400W.

What this sounds like is a dead motherboard. It may have been caused by a PSU killing it, but it sounds identical to previous problems I've had with motherboards and CPUs dying on me. The CX550M is a decent unit and should have been able to power your system with OC.

Yeah that's what I realised too, the board has a 3 phase VRM, so really can't handle a 1700 with an OC. Although I would argue that peak power could easily max the unit out, as I said the units can handle peaks much better than continuous loads however, I'd say the VRM on the board might be getting roasted, or might already be roasted. Might be the caps slowly degrading which is why it suddenly doesn't work now as the voltage is a little too unstable. 

Yours faithfully

1 hour ago, Lord Nicoll said:

Yeah that's what I realised too, the board has a 3 phase VRM, so really can't handle a 1700 with an OC. Although I would argue that peak power could easily max the unit out, as I said the units can handle peaks much better than continuous loads however, I'd say the VRM on the board might be getting roasted, or might already be roasted. Might be the caps slowly degrading which is why it suddenly doesn't work now as the voltage is a little too unstable. 

Oh yeah, lol he tried to OC an octacore chip on the worst VRM on all of Ryzen that supports an octacore xD

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

4 hours ago, Lord Nicoll said:

SInce it's working again, I don't think that the vrms or that the board are compromised, since it isn't having any stability issues and functions properly. But now I am only more confused... I powered it off and back on again a few times, and made sure it was no longer having any issues booting. I decided to dial the oc on my 1700 back down to stock voltage, and set it to 3700Mhz. I've stress tested it a few times to make sure it was stable, since there is no voltage increase. I grabbed a wattage meter that my dad had at his shop, and plugged it in, then ran a cpu-z stress test alongside a few games maxed out at 4k to see what full system utilization looked like. the most I saw from it was around 320 watts straight from the wall. So even overclocked I'm not too sure it would max out the power supply. So... maybe it's a fluke? Maybe... But the fact that it wouldn't boot for several hours had me worried. Thanks everyone for the help